Darkest Powers


Jounouchi dialed the number of the secured line and waited anxiously.

"Verification needed," a pleasant voice announced what he needed to do and he typed in his personal access code. After two rings, the line was picked up.

"Jounouchi! What took you so long, goddamnnit?"

"Hirutani," Jounouchi kept his voice low. The walls of his hotel room were paper thin. "What the hell's going on?"

"Bakura Ryou," Hirutani said, voice strained. "He's escaped."

"What?"

"We noticed him missing a couple of hours ago and went searching for him immediately," Hirutani said. "He's gone! Nobody saw him leave and his cell door was closed! He was strip-searched before he was locked up, he had nothing on him but a couple of yen. The kid was crying and whining when we put him in his cell!"

No, he wasn't. Hirutani took Jounouchi's silence as a sign to continue. "He isn't showing up on the security cams, either. It's like he vanished in thin air!"

Jounouchi sat down on the bed. He needed to clear his thoughts. A man who spoke of the darkness as if he was relishing it, enjoying it, loving it, and who could shift from a shy kid to a raving psychopath in the next second, wouldn't be held back by a couple of metal bars. Jounouchi felt guilty. He should've told Hirutani, or at least the captain. But what was he supposed to say? "Hey, that innocent looking delivery boy you're about to put away, he can turn into a darkness-loving lunatic and throw furniture across the room without lifting up a finger?" And why was he actually not surprised by this news?

"Jounouchi? Are you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm right here." He shifted on the bed.

"Hey man, sorry that I'm the messenger of bad news."

"About the security cams... who's the manufacturer? Did Zorc Security install them?"

"Huh? Yeah, I think so. Everything's Zorc here, it's the biggest player on the market. Why do you ask?"

"Just... nothing. Never mind. Thank you for letting me know."

"How are things going over there?"

"I made contact with the bodyguard, Mahaado. Did you manage to find anything about him?"

"Sorry man, these Egyptians don't exist," Hirutani said gruffly. "I have no information whatsoever on Mahaado. I tried every source I could think of; I even called Cairo for some intelligence! No such luck. I tried coaxing some out of my informants, but they shit seven kinds of crap when I mention his name, let alone what they shit when I mention the Pharaoh."

"It's unreal," Jounouchi thought out loud. "Why do they all fear him so much? He doesn't even show his face in public!"

"I don't know," Hirutani answered. "But take it from me, Jounouchi, when even the biggest and toughest member of the yakuza rather bites off his tongue than to answer questions about the Pharaoh, I'd say you have a very dangerous man on the scene. Please be careful."

"I will." Jounouchi severed the connection and processed the information he had just received. Marik talked about the Darkness. Bakura spoke of the Darkness, but he acted upon it as well. Out of habit, Jounouchi's hand went to his abdomen. The skin was still tender and showing impressive bruises from where the table had hit him. Jounouchi was sure that Bakura hadn't thrown the table with any physical strength; some kind of power had shoved the piece of furniture into him. Some kind of power? Magic didn't exist. He didn't like the thought of the supernatural, but he had seen it with his own eyes. His body was still showing the evidence, for crying out loud. Pharaoh. Ancient Egypt. Strange powers. Marik. Bakura. There was only one person who could answer some of his questions, and he was going to call her right away.


In the dead of night, the Domino City National Museum looked like an eerie place. The building was completely dark safe for a few modest lights behind windows; the majority of the personnel had since long left for home. Jounouchi kept an eye on everyone who came out of the building; the last two people to leave were the Ishtar brothers. They didn't belong to the museum personnel but they did use the 'staff only' entrance, apparently a perk of their sister Isis working there. Jounouchi assumed she had send them away; he needed to talk to her without her brothers around. Malik seemed rather excited, talking while he made big gestures with his arms. The slightly taller Marik had a neutral expression on his face as far as possible; he didn't look grumpy or gleeful. Jounouchi waited until Isis would show herself. It took another hour before he saw her, dressed in her authentic garb, dawdling at the door as she was the last person to leave. She activated the alarm and used a couple of hefty keys to lock the door. After she had stashed the keys in her purse, she looked around from left to right in a very conspicuous way, as if she was featuring in a B spy movie. He couldn't blame her. Jounouchi emerged from his hiding spot and tried to get her attention without startling her. To no avail; at this late hour she was spooked easily, but the relief washing over her face when she recognized him was genuine.

"Ishtar-san," Jounouchi said politely, "thank you for agreeing to meet up with me."

"What is going on?" She asked. "I want to go home and take care of my brother."

"I need to ask you some questions about the both of them."

She heaved a sigh. Jounouchi remembered her strength and confidence at the captain's office, fighting like a lion for her family. But now he could see a crack in that strong exterior, when the burden of the intense care for her brothers became too heavy. How long had this woman carried this burden? Her entire life? And why did she refuse to refer to Marik as 'brother'?

"All right. What is it that you want to know?"

"Do you know how much your brothers are involved with the Rare Hunters?"

"They founded the gang themselves," Isis said, with pain in her voice. "Believe me, I did everything I could to keep them from doing it."

"What are they looking for? What kind of Items?"

She looked apprehensive. "Why are you asking me this?"

"Isis, I need your help. I'm trying to get close to the Pharaoh and win his trust. I strongly believe he knows who's behind the killings of the CEOs here in Domino City, and it has something to do with Ancient Egyptian artifacts. I know it sounds weird, but..." He stopped. Isis wasn't laughing at him. She didn't call him crazy. She didn't ask if he had lost his mind. In fact, from the look in her eyes, he could see that she believed him.

"The Pharaoh," she said breathlessly, "does he have a bodyguard?"

"His name is Mahaado," Jounouchi said. Isis closed her eyes for a brief moment, heaved another deep sigh and brought her hands up, untying her necklace. The jewelry slid into her right hand and she held it out to Jounouchi. He extended his hand, and she pressed the necklace into his palm.

"Take this to the Pharaoh," she said. "Tell him that the Tomb Keepers are ready to atone for their sins and vow to protect once more."

"Ishtar-san..."

"There is nothing more I can do for you," she said, hurriedly. "My brothers are not the demons in this legend, Jounouchi. Watch out for the darkness. It is coming, and it will come by storm. I can only pray we will survive."

"What do you mean? Ishtar-san!" Dumbfounded, Jounouchi watched her retreating back. She didn't run, but it was obvious she wanted to get away fast, and he let her be. It wouldn't be of much use to forcefully retrieve her. He had the distinct feeling she wasn't going to tell him more, no matter how hard he'd try. He stared down at his hand, at the necklace: a golden piece of jewelry with the stylized eye in the center that he recognized all too well. He'd seen it on Bakura Ryou's 'Ring'. Confused and bewildered, he put the jewelry away and hurried back to his motel.

Despite everything, Jounouchi slept well. He figured he'd be tossing and turning the entire night, but he was exhausted and he was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. The next morning he took a shower, put on clean clothes and treated himself to a nice and superfluous breakfast. While he was eating, his thoughts wandered off to Isis' necklace. Why had she been so confident to give it to him? She hadn't questioned his words, not even once. It was a suitable present for the Pharaoh, that was for sure. It was going to get him closer to him and if he got into his favor, he could gather more information about the CEO killings. The Pharaoh had to know who was behind it, if he wasn't the killer himself. He just had to! Jounouchi realized that he had forgotten to ask about Yuugi when he was talking to Hirutani. He wanted to talk to his best friend so badly, but it wasn't possible, not without blowing his cover. Yuugi was safe at the Kaiba mansion, shielded from any danger. Would Bakura try to break into the mansion again? Jounouchi trusted Kaiba to have beefed up the security to Fort Knox status, if not an impenetrable nuclear base. With Bakura out of jail, another dangerous player had added himself to the game. He had to avoid him, just like he had to avoid the Isthar brothers. My brothers are not the demon in this legend. Why could that woman never talk in plain language? Yet, she hadn't been that upset about a criminal calling himself a Pharaoh, she had immediately accepted Jounouchi's words. It dawned to him that this was the first time that Isis had actually called Marik and Malik 'brothers' in plural, not singular. Why was she so hell-bent on protecting the both of them? And if there was any legend at all, who was supposed to be the demon? Bakura?

He waited for a few days to take the necklace to either the Pharaoh or Mahaado, even though the jewelry was burning in his pocket. He didn't want to come across as too eager; the unique nature of the artifact would give rise to many questions. Jounouchi prepared himself mentally for the right moment and continued to keep a close eye on the market. He avoided getting too deep involved with the black market and the counterfeit merchandise and made sure to show up only at key meetings, just to make sure that people wouldn't forget about him. He spotted Keith Howard a few times at the L'Z Cafe, but apart from a few superficial conversations, there was no real contact and he left it at that.

On the early Thursday morning, he decided to take his chances. Jounouchi took a cab to the address he'd been to before and admired the mansion in broad daylight. Despite the dreary day, it managed to radiate a warm sense of comfort and hospitality. Jounouchi pushed the iron gate open and walked into the perfectly maintained garden with an abundance of plants and flowers; too exotic to be indigenous. Wandering around the building, he saw that the backdoor was open. He wondered if Mahaado left it open all the time or that it specifically had been opened just for him, which was a spooky thought.

He entered the mansion. The hallway was unlit. To the left was a large kitchen with a cooking island, the top neatly cleaned and a stack of pots and pans next to the large stove. Jounouchi scratched the back of his head. Mahaado really did the cooking and cleaning himself, from the looks of it. He ventured deeper into the mansion but he didn't dare to open any of the doors. A rustling sound behind him alerted him of Mahaado's presence. Jounouchi turned around, in time to see the bodyguard descending the stairs.

"Jounouchi Katsuya," he said, sternly. "Do you have any information for me?"

"I have something even better!" Jounouchi patted his pants pocket. "I would like to give it to the Pharaoh myself. There's a message I'm supposed to deliver personally to him."

"I told you before that you will not get to see him," Mahaado said. "What is it that you want to give to him?"

"Sorry man. No Pharaoh, no gift." Jounouchi shrugged and sauntered off, at least that was his intention. He found himself rooted to the spot, unable to move. A strange, debilitating cold spread through his veins. He couldn't even talk, only move his eyes. Mahaado approached him.

"You do realize that I can take anything from you without breaking a sweat, do you not?" There was no kindness or patience in his voice. His dark brown eyes, stressed by the black tattooed eyeliner, expressed no malice, but his stern, unmovable expression made Jounouchi's blood run even colder. This man would stop at nothing to get what he wanted if it meant he could serve the Pharaoh. He would kill to please him, no doubt about it. Sweat trickled down his back. He couldn't reach his gun, let alone fire it. He was helpless!

"Mahaado." The voice startled Mahaado and he immediately stepped to the side, bowing down his head while he put his left foot forward. Jounouchi turned his eyes into the direction the voice came from, but he couldn't see anyone. It came from upstairs, the first floor. "He has a message for me."

"Yes, Great Pharaoh." Mahaado didn't even blink, but Jounouchi felt that he could move his jaws again. "Tell the Pharaoh your message, Jounouchi Katsuya."

He had no other choice and he related what Isis had told him. Mahaado listened intently and after Jounouchi had finished, a silence fell. The Tomb Keepers are ready to atone for their sins and vow to protect once more. Mahaado straightened himself.

"I have to confer with the Pharaoh," he said, stiffly. "You will hand the gift over to me."

Jounouchi moved his right arm and reluctantly, he pulled out the necklace. He had wrapped the jewelry in a clean handkerchief and Mahaado took it from him, with a blank look on his face. The next moment, Jounouchi could move freely again and he scowled at the bodyguard.

"Yeah, I will wait here, thank you very much," he said daintily. He had no intention to wait meekly for Mahaado's return. Jounouchi was so curious that he couldn't contain himself. So the Pharaoh was already intervening on a personal title; that was promising. Jounouchi went to the stairs and climbed up, thanking whoever had laid that thick, heavy carpet muffling every footstep. Now he could hear voices and he followed the sound, sneaking stealthily past closed doors. The door at the end of the hallway was open and he approached it. Jounouchi held his breath and peeked through the small gap. The room was decorated in the same fashion as the rest of the mansion, but for some reason, it comported elegance and importance, possibly because it was the Pharaoh's room. He could see Mahaado, standing tall and straight, arms crossed in front of his chest. He could also see the other person, the Pharaoh himself, sitting in a high back chair in front of an impressive open fire place - and his heart skipped a beat.

It was Yuugi. It couldn't be! He was at the Kaiba Manor - what was he doing here? But the next second, 'Yuugi' turned his head towards Mahaado and Jounouchi gasped. This was the man he had seen at the Kaiba Manor. Those sharp red eyes, burning and scorching, were nothing like Yuugi's kind, wide eyes. His facial shape and hairstyle were definitely similar to Yuugi's, with just a few minor differences: the Pharaoh's hair was even wilder, bearing more golden bangs framing his face and spiking through his hair like lightning. His tan was like Malik's and contrasted with the beige clothes he was wearing. Jounouchi couldn't see exactly how he was dressed; because of the chair, he could only see his profile. The Pharaoh was studying Isis' necklace. Mahaado said something in Ancient Egyptian. Jounouchi mentally groaned, he couldn't understand a word. He kept watching, hoping that they would switch to Japanese and mention something he could pick up. The bodyguard turned to the left and picked up an exquisite, small golden box and opened it for the Pharaoh to put in the necklace. He closed the lid, richly carved with a myriad of hieroglyphs, and returned the box to its original place. Smoothly, he turned back to the Pharaoh and leaned into him. Mahaado lifted up his hand and with the tenderest movement Jounouchi had ever seen, he brushed away one of the golden strands on the side of the Pharaoh's face, cupping his cheek and gently stroking with his thumb over his skin.

"You should rest, Great Pharaoh," Mahaado said, this time in Japanese. His voice was completely drained from any aggression or authority, only servitude and devotion was left. "You have taken many risks as of late."

"I have no time to rest." The Pharaoh's voice wasn't mellow at all.

"Take this blanket." Mahaado reached next to him and pulled the blanket over the Pharaoh, as if tucking in a small child. "I know how you hate the cold. It is not as warm here as in our kingdom."

A small smile. "Thank you."

Mahaado bowed to him and took a step backwards. "I will execute your orders, Pharaoh."

"Stay for a while." It wasn't a question, but not a harsh command either. Mahaado went to sit by his side, kneeling next to the chair. As the man was much taller, his face came up at the same level as the Pharaoh's, slightly tilting. The Pharaoh answered the movement, leaning into Mahaado. It was a small gesture, but Mahaado took fully advantage, parting his lips and tasting the Pharaoh's, greedy yet gently, tenderness mixed with a fiery need. Jounouchi turned beet red, well aware that he was watching something intensely private, something very intimate. He didn't have any trouble with two men kissing, but it shed an entire different light on the dynamics between Mahaado and his Pharaoh. Yeah, his Pharaoh, that was as much as clear. No wonder Mahaado was so overly protective! Jounouchi stepped away from the door and made his way down. A giant weight had been lifted from his shoulders, now that he had confirmed for himself that the Pharaoh wasn't Yuugi. He had so much to think about: Tomb Keepers, the Ishtars, the necklace, the Pharaoh, Mahaado... he sat down at the bottom of the stairs, his mind overflowing with questions. He sat there for quite a while until Mahaado descended the stairs. Jounouchi got up and mustered up a weak smile. The bodyguard held a rectangular piece of paper in his hand.

"This is for you, Jounouchi Katsuya," he offered it to him. "The Pharaoh has decided to reward you generously for your assistance and information."

Jounouchi took the piece of paper, slightly confused. He stared at it. It was a kogitte, a check made out to his name with a monetary amount on it that was more than enough to retire and live the rest of his life in comfort and wealth.

"I don't know what to say," he said, completely baffled. For some reason, that seemed to please Mahaado.

"I will express your gratitude to the Pharaoh," he said and that was it. Jounouchi recognized a dismissal when he saw one, so he left the mansion, still baffled.



-------------------


  Chapter 9 | Chapter 11 |