Darkest Powers


Much to Jounouchi's frustration, Isis was a very cautious driver. It seemed to take ages before they were in the right district of Domino City, and he couldn't resist a sigh of relief as soon as he saw the mansion in the distance. He was worried about the motionless Mokuba, staring silently in front of him. Isis parked the car and Mahaado got out quickly. The magician-priest frowned. The lights were on at the first floor of the mansion.

"He is not supposed to be up," Mahaado said irritably. "I told him to rest!" He hurried away, his worries on his Pharaoh only, leaving Jounouchi to carry Mokuba. Isis shivered violently, despite the fairly warm temperate at this late hour.

"Are you all right?" Jounouchi asked. After being threatened and locked up in a sarcophagus to die by her crazy brother, he doubted she was feeling 'all right' at all. She steeled herself, took a deep breath and nodded.

"We should go inside," she said, her voice steadfast yet downtrodden. "I cannot postpone the inevitable much longer. I have to face my punishment."

"Punishment? What punishment?" Jounouchi asked, dumbfounded. "What have you done wrong?"

"You will see. Do you need help carrying him?"

"No, thank you. I'm fine." Jounouchi had no difficulties lifting and carrying Mokuba; the youngest Kaiba wasn't a kid anymore, but he wasn't that heavy either. Jounouchi walked towards the mansion with his burden, and Isis came up last. As before, the warm, welcoming atmosphere inside made Jounouchi feel a lot better, like a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. Even Isis looked more at ease; she was taking in the Ancient Egyptian interior decoration, probably wondering if everything was authentic or not. Jounouchi found Mahaado leaning against the banister, supporting himself. He looked drained, wiped-out.

"Please go upstairs," he said. "Second room on the left."

"You should get some rest as well," Jounouchi said. He knew Mahaado was going to say 'no' before he could finish his sentence, so he went ahead and up the stairs. Isis accompanied him and opened the door for him, revealing a fairly large bedroom. She flipped the light switch and gentle, soft light washed all over the room. Jounouchi made his way over to the bed and carefully laid the apathetic Mokuba down. The linens Mahaado used to cover up the boy shifted with the movement, revealing his bare skin.

"Do you have something for him to wear?" Jounouchi asked as he rearranged the sheets around Mokuba. Over his shoulder, someone handed him a neatly folded garment and Jounouchi reached for it. Isis gasped loudly and dropped to her knees, on the floor. Jounouchi looked over his shoulder. "Pharaoh?"

"You have done well, Jounouchi," he said. "Sit down. You need your rest. Aishizu, stand up, please. You do not have to kneel for me."

"Forgive me, Pharaoh," Isis said. "I have failed you. Marik... I could not stop him!"

"I know. It was too much of a burden to bear, and it should not have been your, but my duty to carry it." The Pharaoh shook his head, sending his large golden earrings flying. Jounouchi noticed that he was in his full regalia: the traditional garb and long flowing cape, and lots and lots of gold. He wondered why the Pharaoh had decided to show himself like this right now. Probably because he knew Isis would come along? Mahaado had dragged himself upstairs and looked even worse for wear.

"Mahaado, sit down next to this young man."

"Great Pharaoh, no. I will be fine... I mean, I am fine."

"Does my Priest wish to go against the orders of the Pharaoh?"

"No, no, Great Pharaoh." As a chastised little school kid, Mahaado traipsed over to the bed and sat down. The Pharaoh took his hand and both extended their other hand over Mokuba's body. The golden Puzzle started to glow, as well as the eye on the Pharaoh's crown. It was a warm and innocent, comforting glow and Jounouchi found himself staring into the light, drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Isis, while still on her knees, stared and gawked at the light as well. The golden glow stretched out all over Mokuba and the Pharaoh and Mahaado started chanting in Ancient Egyptian. It was hypnotic, transcendent, that warm light combined with the low, deep voices chanting in a monotonous rhythm... Jounouchi's eyes closed as all the tension and stress left him, his body sagging from pure relaxation... and then the serene moment was broken by Mokuba screaming his head off.

"Yuugi? Jounouchi? You're supposed to be dead! Dead!"

Mahaado winced at the loud volume. "It seems that the young man is back among the living again," he said, deadpan. "The shock is gone."

"Says you," Jounouchi said as Mokuba kept screaming about him being dead.

"I'm dead!" Mokuba yelled. "You're dead too, right Yuugi? Jounouchi, you're already dead! Is this heaven? Where's my brother? Is he dead too? He's dead, right? Right?"

"Wait a minute, Kaiba's dead?" Jounouchi couldn't believe it.

"Impossible," Mahaado said, but he looked at the Pharaoh. He shook his head.

"If Set were not amongst us anymore, I would have known. He is alive. However, I am afraid to think of what will happen to him."

"Pharaoh, you should rest. This has taken a great toll on you."

"Later," he said. "For now, we have old acquaintances to catch up with and this young man to take care of. I am sure he has a lot to tell us."

"You sure talk funny, Yuugi," Mokuba giggled nervously. "And you look pretty funny, too." Then he noticed he was naked, and that only a flimsy bed sheet was covering his nether regions. He pulled the garment out of Jounouchi's hands and put it on; it was an oversized shirt that covered him from head to toe.

Mahaado got up from the bed. "We will leave you for now," he said. "We will be at the salon." He extended his hand to Isis and she accepted his gesture, their hands entwining as he pulled her up. The Pharaoh was the first to leave the room and Jounouchi watched his retreating back, still in disbelief how this man could look so much like his best friend and be such a different person.

"I don't get it." Mokuba's voice was soft, hesitant. "You're dead, Jounouchi. Am I in heaven or in hell?"

"This is just Domino City, Mokuba. You're not dead, and neither am I. Who told you that? I'm all right!"

"Hirutani came over to the manor to tell us that you were killed in some kind of heist," Mokuba said. "He said something about it being his fault, as you didn't have enough undercover experience..."

"Hirutani told you that I was dead?" He was flabbergasted. Hirutani. He had been at the Kaiba Manor. He had seen Yuugi. He knew that Yuugi resembled the Pharaoh. Hirutani knew about Malik and Marik and their gang. Hirutani had been the link to everyone all along, and he, Jounouchi, had been too caught up to see it! "Fuck," he said out loud. "Fuck!"

"What's going on? Are you really real, Jounouchi?" Mokuba asked, confused.

"Hirutani lied to you," he answered, gnashing his teeth. "I was injured, but these people... the same people you just saw, helped me recover."

"I don't understand... why is Yuugi here? I saw those goons lift him out of the bed!"

"What goons? What exactly happened? Wait a minute... why were you with Yuugi in one and the same bed in the first place?"

Mokuba turned red. "It wasn't like that! I went to his room because I was having terrible nightmares. We just had received the news that you were dead, and he was extremely upset. There was at least this much distance between us," Mokuba held his hands wide apart, "and nothing happened. We were too busy talking about our nightmares and sadness."

"All right, all right, I believe you," Jounouchi said, without being sarcastic or demeaning. "I'm sorry to give you this much trouble. I can't believe Hirutani went around telling that I'm dead!" Jounouchi pulled out his cell phone. Honda hadn't returned his phone call, which was weird. He was tempted to call either the station or Hirutani, but he decided against it. Let them think he was dead. This could probably work in his favor, bizarre and morbid as it was. Too bad he had to leave Honda and even his sister in the dark, but he would apologize to them profusely later. Jounouchi turned off his cell phone.

"But Yuugi...?"

"That's not Yuugi. I mean, he's not Yuugi. He's the Pharaoh. Don't ever address him until spoken to, unless you want to incur the wrath of god."

"Huh?"

"Mahaado. The other guy - tall, dark hair in ponytail? He's the Pharaoh's personal bodyguard. Very personal. He'll fuck you over with his magic if you as much as look the wrong way."

"I don't think I understand... Yuugi is a Pharaoh?" Mokuba had a hard time processing the information. Suddenly, he gasped. "Wait! Yuugi's journal! The one his grandfather has written... where is it?"

"I saw Mahaado take it. Don't worry, it'll be treated with the utmost care. Maybe that journal is the reason why Yuugi plays such an important part in all of this."

"So that's why they took him." Mokuba heaved a defeated sigh. "I thought I was going to be kidnapped... again. They grabbed Yuugi, dragged him out of the bed... they didn't even bother knocking me out. They just laughed, Jounouchi. Laughed at our fear and terror, and when that guy cut me..." Mokuba touched his upper arm, and his eyes went wide as his fingers found healed skin. "I was cut right here! It hurt like a bitch!"

"Mahaado and the Pharaoh healed you, just like they healed me from my injuries. Don't ask - there's a lot of weird hocus pocus going on. All I know is that I would've bled to death without their help."

"So... they're on our side? Can they help us to find Yuugi and my brother?"

"I'm sure. You're safe here, Mokuba. Can you tell me anything about those guys who took Yuugi and your brother...? I assume they got Kaiba as well..."

"They have to," Mokuba said. "If they hadn't, my brother would've come to my rescue and killed anyone who dared to lay a finger upon me." He shifted his position. "Those guys... I don't know. I didn't recognize any of them. Generic faces, generic voices, clad in non-descript clothes... not one detail comes to mind, I'm sorry."

"You didn't see someone with long, whitish hair, did you?"

"No, not at all. They were all bulky buffoons."

"All right. Now, you should take it easy. Like I said, you're safe here. We're going to find and rescue our friends and loved ones."

"I'm coming along," Mokuba said.

"Oh no, you're not. I can't have a civilian running in my way."

"That's what your friend Hirutani said," Mokuba spat at him, "and look at how well that turned out! Besides, if they have taken my brother to KaibaCorp.'s HQ, you'll need me to gain access."

"Why would they take him to KaibaCorp.'s HQ?"

"Why not?"

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation and Mahaado walked in. Mokuba all but 'eeped' and hid under the sheets. Jounouchi was used to the stoic bodyguard by now and wasn't surprised to see him holding a tray with the inevitable cup of tea.

"I brought you something to drink, Mokuba," he said, his voice calm and soothing. "Please drink it, if only for you to calm down." The covered up head bobbed, slightly trembling. Mahaado looked at Jounouchi.

"The Pharaoh wishes to talk to you," he said. "We need to act quickly."

"Please save my brother!" Mokuba pleaded from under the sheets. Mahaado's eyes showed compassion.

"Set is safe for the moment," he said. "It is Yuugi we are worried about. The Pharaoh's light half is in serious danger."

"Please save Yuugi too," Mokuba said.


The salon was the large room where Jounouchi had met the Pharaoh for the first time and he found him sitting in the high back chair, in front of the large open fire place, the black notebook in his lap. Mahaado flanked him on the left side, his posture straight and rigid again. Isis stood next to his right side and looked completely in her element in the Ancient Egyptian environment, wearing her traditional garb and the necklace she had given to Jounouchi not long ago.

"It is hers," the Pharaoh said as he noticed Jounouchi's bewildered look. "The Sennen Items belong to their original owners. She took a great risk to keep it hidden from Marik, but now it is back where it belongs."

"Thank you, Pharaoh," Isis said and closed her eyes, if only for the briefest moments.

"The Sennen Tauk grants its wielder visions of the future," the Pharaoh continued as Jounouchi settled into a chair, while Mahaado and Isis remained standing. The way these two flanked the Pharaoh, reminded Jounouchi of a court of Priests - stern, devoted, loyal. "These visions are not clear, unfortunately. The images Aishizu received and interpreted, bode bad news for my light half."

"His name is Yuugi, and he's not yours," Jounouchi blurted out. He could almost taste the embarrassment coming from Mahaado, embarrassment and anger for talking back to the Pharaoh like that, and Jounouchi immediately raised his hand. "I know what you're going to say, Mahaado, but now it's not the time. Yuugi is my friend, and I want to see him safe."

"I know you want to." The Pharaoh tilted his head a little. "I want him safe as well, if only for the survival of the world. It is clear to me that the thief is behind all of this. We have to find him, and fast."

Despite Mokuba not having seen Bakura, Jounouchi agreed with the Pharaoh. It was definitely safe to assume the thief had taken Yuugi, sending lackeys instead of doing the dirty work himself. "What about his headquarters? Does he have an evil lair of some kind?"

"An evil lair? If only we knew where he hides out..."

"How about Zorc Security?" Jounouchi suggested. "Bakura isn't going to hold someone hostage in his own apartment, you know? He needs room to move. If he has Yuugi and Kaiba, and Marik and his goons helping him out, he needs to have a lot of room. We have to check out the main office of Zorc Security, that's the most plausible place where he could be." Jounouchi tilted his head, mimicking the Pharaoh. "Do we have wifi in this place? Wireless Internet?"

The Pharaoh looked at Mahaado with a confused look on his face. "Wifi?"

"I should've known," Jounouchi grunted. "If you're all three thousand years old..."

"I am not," Isis protested. "I know more of this modern world, Jounouchi. My apologies, Pharaoh, I do not want to overstep my boundaries..." As he waved with his hand to show that he didn't mind, she continued: "There is no wifi here, Jounouchi, but I know the address. The National Museum hired the same company to provide the alarm system, cameras and other security details to protect the building and the exhibits. I was drawn to the name and did a little bit of research, but I was not able to discover much."

She named the address. Jounouchi recognized the street; it was going to take at least fifteen minutes by car to get to that specific district.

"I'm on my way," he said and got up from his chair. Mahaado immediately stepped up as well, only to pull a horrified face when the Pharaoh stood up.

"Great Pharaoh! What are you doing?"

"I am coming along," he said, as a matter-of-factly.

"I will take care of this, together with Jounouchi," Mahaado said, agitated. Jounouchi could hear the plea in his voice, but the Pharaoh ignored him.

"Bring me to the place you mentioned," he said to Isis.

"I'll drive," Jounouchi interfered. "Someone should stay with Mokuba. He's scared and confused, and I don't blame him."

"I will take care of him," Isis offered. "Here are the car keys." She produced them from the folds of her robe. Jounouchi took the keys from her and wanted to leave, but she grabbed him at the elbow. The Pharaoh and Mahaado walked straight past him. Jounouchi was annoyed that Isis held him back, probably to give way to the other two; he should know by now that the Pharaoh would always walk first. Isis waited until they had left the room, before she spoke.

"Please, Jounouchi," she said. "If you see my brother... save him. He is innocent in this."

"I take it you're talking about Malik?" he asked, just to be sure.

"The Tomb Keepers are ready to atone for their sins and vow to protect once more, just like I told you. But Marik is not a Tomb Keeper, he is a murderer. But, Jounouchi... if you... have to..." She took a deep breath. "Marik has known nothing but pain and anger. If it is his time, make it quick and painless. Please. Please."

Jounouchi wasn't really sure if he understood, but he nodded. "I'll do whatever I can, Isis," he said and gently pulled himself lose. "I have to go."

She tried to smile, but the silent tears running down her face tugged at his heartstrings. He made a beeline for the door, where he was confronted by Mahaado with his arm draped around the Pharaoh's shoulders, the tall man holding him close. Jounouchi rattled with the car keys to announce himself and spare them the embarrassment; indeed, Mahaado took his arm away and looked over his shoulder, his usual frown firmly in place.

"Are you finally there?"

"Yes, I'll be your chauffeur for tonight," he said sarcastically. "Bunch of tourists."


Zorc Security was located in an industry district, and the building was well-lit, with large industrial lights illuminating the company's logo mounted on the wall.

"Hiding in the shadows, huh?" Jounouchi commented. It was actually quite funny to have a millennia old Pharaoh riding shot gun with you, while his fiercely protective (and grumpy) bodyguard sat in the back. The Pharaoh had even worn his seatbelt, especially after Mahaado learned it was a protective measure.

"The thief is toying with us," he said. "He invites us, while he cowers in his beloved darkness. He is playing a game." Strangely enough, the Pharaoh sounded intrigued.

"I hope both Yuugi and Kaiba are here," Jounouchi muttered. He shut down the engine and got out of the car. He pulled out his gun and checked it. The magazine was still full and he had a few extra clips, but what could a gun do compared to magic? This so-called 'dark' Bakura had strange powers; Jounouchi hadn't forgotten that creepy encounter when Bakura had thrown a heavy table against his chest without as much as breaking a sweat. His eyes traveled over to the Puzzle, resting against the Pharaoh's chest. Strange that this Item omitted calmness, confidence and faith instead of pain, darkness and violence like Marik's Rod and Bakura's Ring.

"Mahaado, can you do that trick to find human energy again?" he asked. The magician looked offended at it being called a 'trick', but he complied nonetheless. Jounouchi went ahead and approached the main door of the building. Just as he was contemplating how to enter without setting the alarm off - a company specializing in security would undoubtedly have its own headquarters protected to the extreme - he noticed the Pharaoh behind him.

"Sheesh, Pharaoh! Don't sneak up on me like that!" Jounouchi looked at the other, with all his gold and the dark purple cape fanning out behind him. "And could you dress at least a little less conspicuously?"

"This is how I dress," the Pharaoh said, unfazed.

"Yes, for your... crowning ceremony or whatever. Not for when you go rescue some guys!"

"We should go inside," the Pharaoh suggested. He waited for Jounouchi to open the door, as if he was making a home visit.

"We just can't barge in," Jounouchi said, rolling his eyes. "We don't know what's waiting for us. This is a security company; we'll probably set off an entire array of alarms just by touching the door. And, if Bakura and Marik are inside, I'm sure they're not waiting on us with tea and biscuits."

The Pharaoh looked at the door. "We will enter," he said and he was about to step forward, when Mahaado caught up with them.

"Great Pharaoh, Jounouchi," he said. "I sense human energy on the first and second floor, but there's something... off about them."

"Something off?" Jounouchi asked.

"I can sense the influence of darkness," the magician answered. "Bakura has manipulated or corrupted their souls. His Item is powerful enough to do so. These people probably don't know what they're doing, as they're being controlled by the darkness itself."

"Great." Jounouchi sorely missed the back-up Honda would provide him. Their team was the best, and not without reason. He could trust the other blindly and vice-versa; no matter how powerful the Pharaoh or Mahaado were, they had no idea what a tag-team was, or how to avoid obvious traps. By even looking at the Pharaoh, Jounouchi could see that the other expected him to open the door and show him proper respect as a Pharaoh, without as much as contemplating the dangers that could await him past that very door. He didn't know whether to shoot himself right now or just point and laugh. He pulled himself together. Yuugi had to be inside. He was here to rescue his friend.

"Can you sense Yuugi?"

Mahaado shook his head. "I am only able to sense energy, not whose energy it is."

"All right." It was a bit of a disappointment, but Jounouchi had worked with less. It was time to take action. Next to the door was an electronic panel, demanding an access code. In his younger years, while belonging to a gang, Jounouchi had cracked more of these codes than he could count. His old skills came in handy as he disabled the control panel. It was a rather old-fashioned model, and it fueled his suspicion. This was too easy, but he didn't have much of a choice. He couldn't explain Mahaado's and the Pharaoh's existence to the police. He couldn't contact Honda, there was too little time. With a clicking noise, the door was unlocked. Jounouchi pushed at the door and held it open. "Please enter, Your Majesty," he said sarcastically.

"It is 'Great Pharaoh', Jounouchi," Mahaado corrected him.

"Just get the fuck in."



-------------------


  Chapter 14 | Chapter 16 |