For our world has ended, we're looking forward to a new beginning


-----------------------


The tea was almost finished; Mutou Yuugi waited patiently until the water boiled before pouring it into the pot. He placed it carefully on the tray, next to the cups, a jar of honey, a bowl of sugar, and a plate with assorted cookies. Lifting the tray up, he turned away from the stove and walked over to the large kitchen table.

Bakura Ryou watched him; eyes slightly narrowed, as there seemed to be something 'off' with his friend. He knew what it was, even without thinking about it- Yuugi didn't wear his Sennen Puzzle. Ryou brought his hand up to his chest, his fingers vaguely tracing a circle on his striped shirt... a movement that caught Yuugi's eye, and he smiled, albeit a bit wanly.

"They're both gone, aren't they."

"Yes. Gone, but not forgotten."

"No, not forgotten. Never." Yuugi placed the cups on the table, asking whether Ryou would like sugar or honey in his tea, and offering him one of the cookies.

"You know... I can never forget that moment that.. your.. ah.."

"Atemu," Yuugi said, smiling in fond remembrance of the spirit of his Puzzle. "His name was... is... Atemu."

"He said that every evil was removed from the Ring," Ryou picked up his sentence again, gently blowing at the scorching hot tea. Yuugi nodded.

"They're both gone, aren't they."

"Yes. Gone, but not forgotten."

"No, not forgotten. Never."

Silence.

"Do you miss him?"

"Yes. You?"

"Sort of. He wasn't a good spirit like yours was, Yuugi... but he never hurt me. Never."

Ryou wasn't really surprised to feel Yuugi’s hand on his. So warm. So comforting.

"I know, Ryou. You're not alone in this, you know that."

"Our world has ended," Ryou suddenly said, not looking at Yuugi, but at his tea, as if there were any answers hidden in the liquid.

"We're looking forward to a new beginning," Yuugi responded, and mentally let out a sigh of relief when Ryou put his other hand over his. Finally putting his other hand over Ryou's again, Yuugi smiled at him. "A new beginning."

"Gone, but not forgotten."

"Never forgotten. They gave us a new beginning."

"A new beginning."

-----------------