Music to my Ears

-------------------


Hilde clamped her hands around the steaming mug of coffee. Duo took the opposite seat on the kitchen table and picked up his own mug.

“What a terrible thing to happen on the early morning,” she said and took a sip. Duo flicked his long braid over his shoulder and leaned forward to pick up his mug.

“What a terrible thing for Dermail,” he responded. Hilde took another sip.

“No one deserves to be murdered. Poor girl. Did they tell you what happened to her exactly?”

“No, and I don’t want to know either.” Duo shivered.

“Take it easy. You don’t have anything to do with it. She was your student, but nothing more.”

He turned the mug around in his hands. “Heero is right. I shouldn’t bond with my students.”

“It’s pretty normal to be upset, Duo. You just heard the news of the death of one of your students, for cryin’ out loud!” She took another sip. “Besides... bonding with people is one of your other talents. You automatically and naturally attach yourself to everyone you meet. It’s called compassion, and you’ve got lots of it. And how would Heero know anything about bonding? He only cares for himself. Where is he anyway? He should be with you!”

Before Duo could answer, the door opened and two male voices were heard.

“Who’s with Heero?” Duo rose from his chair and quickly made his way to the door, followed by Hilde.

Heero stood in the doorway with a brown grocery bag in his left arm, his right hand hovering behind his back, reaching for a gun that wasn’t there- an instinct burned into his body, mind and soul. No matter how many times Duo would tell him not to not judge every situation in the mind of a soldier, after years and years of indoctrination and severe training the imposed pattern of behavior was hard to shake. Next to him stood a blond, young boy with blue eyes as big as saucers, cheeks flushed. He looked impeccable- his clothing radiated expensive taste, shoes polished and his hair nicely groomed.

“He was at the front door,” Heero explained in a clipped tone.

“I was just about to knock,” the boy answered politely. “I am looking for Mr. Maxwell.”

“You found him,” Duo stated and offered his hand. “You are..?”

“Quatre Raberba Winner. I know I’m early for class, but I’d rather be early than too late..”

“Ah, Winner! I remember it was your father who called me?”

“Yes,” Quatre confirmed. “I hope he didn’t gave you too much trouble. My father can be very insistent when he wants to.”

“No, not at all.” Duo looked up at the right time to catch Heero’s frowning face. His scowl deepened after hearing the word “trouble”.

“Take a seat in the living room, Mr. Winner. I’ll finish class first..”

“Sure, sure, I’m way too early. Please, call me Quatre.”

“Al right, Quatre,” Duo smiled. “After I’m finished, I’ll have you play something to judge your skill and level, okay? Heero, show Quatre a place to sit.”

Heero looked like he wanted to say something, but changed his mind and handed the grocery bag over to Duo. Hilde stared after him.

“Really, Duo, I can’t help but wondering why you put up with him. I know that he has improved a lot, but sometimes.. sheesh! It wouldn’t surprise me if he’d killed him on the spot.”

She slapped her hand on her mouth. “O God, Duo, I’m sorry! I didn’t want to..”

“Never mind, Hilde.” Duo shook his head, braid swishing with every motion. “We’ve talked about this before and I don’t want to repeat it once more. I love Heero.”

“I’m not saying that you don’t.” She put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed lightly. “And neither am I saying that he doesn’t love you. If you could bottle the love he is feeling for you and sell it, you would be a billionaire. But sometimes.. sometimes he irks me.”

“I won’t be charging this class,” Duo said, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze back.

“It’s okay.” She had never even taken off her coat and she left through the open door. Duo closed it behind her and threw a look sideways.

Quatre Winner sat on the couch, leaning on the comfortable cushions, anxiously looking around the living room. His eyes averted automatically to the grand Bösendorfer placed before the windowpanes with the same height as the wall, flanked by creamy yellow curtains, offering a wide view over the city you could only get by living at the 9th floor. On the hood stood Duo’s favorite picture and he smiled as he saw his new student looking at it; the simple black and white picture portraying them both as the fifteen year olds they were back then- their first picture ever taken. Duo remembered the warm, sunny day when they visited the beach to relax and enjoy each other’s company. They coaxed a bystander into taking a picture of them, but after developing it turned out the man had taken a headshot of them facing the sun. The picture was far too bright, but their faces were nevertheless clearly visible, heads surrounded by an aura of orange sunlight. Heero stood one pace before Duo; leaving him to lean on his shoulder, a position Duo would get fairly quick acquainted to.  No matter how much Duo loved him and he certainly did not doubt Heero’s love for him, there would always be that one pace between them- that one little step of distance that just couldn’t be closed.

The grocery bag rustled. Duo took it to the kitchen where he found Heero busy searching the cabinets.

“What are you looking for?”

“Do we have tea?”

“Tea?”

“Yes, your student wants some.”

“Great! That was nice of you, Heero, to ask him if he wanted something to drink.”

Heero smirked. “I do pay attention what you are saying to me.”

Duo gave him a peck on the cheek.

“No kiss-kiss in front of the students,” Heero mocked but his eyes glittered. Duo gave him another peck.

“He can’t see us through the wall unless he has x-ray view,” Duo snickered and put the grocery bag on the kitchen table. Before he could look through it, Heero asked for the tea again.

“I believe it’s in that one,” Duo motioned to the upper right cabinet.

“Why did Hilde leave so early? She had her coat still on.”

“There were two detectives here, you just missed them.” Duo took some cans out of the grocery bag and sighed inwardly with relief when he felt Heero’s arms slid around him.

“Two detectives? Why? What did they want from you?”

He leaned backwards. This was so comfortable, so.. reassuring. It was so easy to crawl into his arms and let him take care of everything.

“They told me that Dorothy Catalonia was murdered.. she is dead..” It tasted strange on his tongue, to speak out loud about her death. Heero tightened his grip.

“What? How.. how is it possible?” It took only half a minute before his voice changed from amazement to indignant.

“Why did they come to you? Did they suspect you from anything? What were their names?”

“Detective Chang and Barton. Heero, stay here!” Duo spun around to catch Heero by the arm.

“There is nothing you can do. They were only doing their job.”

“If they implied that you are responsible for..”

Duo shook his head. “No, Heero. They only wanted to know where I was at the time of her death and they asked if someone could vouch for my alibi.”

Heero cupped Duo’s face with his hands. “I wish I could protect you from all the bad things in the world, my Duo. I can see you are upset. Do you want me to tell your student to cancel this appointment so you can rest?”

“No,” Duo put his hands over Heero’s. “I can handle it. I..”

“You don’t need more grief. I told you that giving lessons at home was getting too personal. Duo, love.. I want you to be safe and shielded. I don’t want anything happen to you.”

“That’s why I quit teaching at a school Heero, or don’t you remember?” A hint of irritation flashed over Duo’s face. “I started giving lessons at home because I am safe here. What else am I supposed to do, lock myself in a atomic shelter?”

“Only if you lock me in with you too,” Heero said simply and kissed Duo on his brow. He was taken aback when Duo slid off his hands and took a step away from him.

“I told the detectives I was asleep at three at night,” he said. “Can you vouch for my alibi, Heero?”

 

---------------------------------------


Chapter 2 | Chapter 4 |