October


-------------------


Every four months, KaibaCorp. Headquarters held a career day for current and future employees. The large tower, a skyscraper unsurpassed in height and splendor at any of the other planets in the known universe, opened its doors for visitors, presenting career possibilities ranging from secretary to software programmer. As a huge inter-galaxy corporation, KaibaCorp. was in constant need of personnel, if only to keep the massive amounts of generated data under control; there wasn't a planet or a business branch that wasn't somehow influenced or controlled by the company. KaibaCorp. as an employer wasn't necessarily ranked among the well-paying companies or even providing the best benefits; it was simply so… vast that it was a common factor in everybody's life, in daily life, in general.

Kaiba Seto left the entire organization of the career day to his Human Resources Department. He didn't bother hiring personnel himself unless it was for extremely specific positions. He was too busy to occupy himself with the mundane task of recruiting people; he made sure that the key positions in his management teams were occupied by employees he trusted. Nobody got a chance at stabbing him in the back, and if in some kind of circumstances they did, it would be the end of their career, if not -discreetly- their life. There was only one department he didn't entrust Human Resources to recruit people for: bounty hunting. Very few people knew of this particular 'branch' KaibaCorp. was involved in and as far as Kaiba was concerned, it stayed that way. If the police or special task forces failed to apprehend the scum of the universe, KaibaCorp. was there to deal with the problem; off the record, discreet, and swift. Of course, Kaiba Seto had no interest in petty, common criminals. He didn't have time to worry about bank robbers, burglars or smugglers. His interest was only piqued at bounties of one million genz and higher; and a bounty of five million was so rare, that it almost made him excited. Looking down from his office at the top floor, Kaiba could only see black dots crawling around, in and out of the building.

"Ants," he said.

"What?"

"Ants," Kaiba repeated. "Crawling, pathetic, insignificant ants."

Mokuba yawned. "You're always such a happy, fun person when you have gotten less than three hours of sleep."

"Who said I got less than three hours of sleep?"

"I did," Mokuba was merciless, "I can see it. You can't hide a thing from me, big brother. You should really get some sleep. You need it."

"Sleep is for the weak. What is scheduled for today?"

Mokuba yawned again and rolled off of the comfortable sofa. The Kaiba brothers owned a splendid mansion on Altana, with their own personal staff, but they spend most of the days and nights at Headquarters. The top floor didn't only house offices, but also a luxury apartment with a kitchen, two bathrooms and two bedrooms. Mokuba wrapped an afghan around him as he walked to the large mahogany desk to get his brother's holo-agenda. He pressed a few buttons.

"Let's see… boring meeting, boring meeting, another boring meeting and let's see… surprise surprise, another boring meeting!"

"Mokuba," Kaiba grunted. "I want to know what kind of -"

"I expected a progress report from Jounouchi by now," Mokuba interrupted him. "The Time Wizard left Wremmoor this morning."

"What, is he coming back to HQ already?" Kaiba heaved a dramatic sigh. "I never should've hired him."

Mokuba chose to ignore that remark. "We currently don't have many other high-profile cases like the Ishtar one. Perhaps you should go downstairs and surprise the people by actually showing your face for once?"

Kaiba snorted. "I don't deal with mindless drones."

"Those mindless drones want to work for you, big brother," Mokuba reminded him. "Without personnel, even a mighty corporation like KaibaCorp. is paralyzed. Someone has to do the work."

"Fine. I don't deal with those on the lowest steps of the ladder, then."

"Surprise the people," Mokuba said, his tone of voice a little teasing, but also a little pressing. "The tabloids are already speculating that you have a terminal disease or are a vampire by night because you show your face so little. It would be great PR. Besides, if there are any important calls, I can take them."

"You're getting too smart for your own good," Kaiba grunted. He entertained the idea of actually going downstairs for a minute. The shock value would be amusing; he hadn't left his office in… months? Years? When was the last time he had been at his mansion? He couldn't even remember. He decided to get changed and go downstairs. Who knew he might meet someone interesting.




Ryou looked up at the impressive building. KaibaCorp. Headquarters exceeded every expectation he had. He tried not to get too overwhelmed; he was feeling tired from the long trip to Altana. He was still wondering why he was actually doing this. It wasn't like he was going to see Kaiba anyway, or even get past his secretaries. The first three floors of the building were open to the visitors, the rest was off-limits. A lot of KaibaCorp. employees were present to answer questions, and vidscreens all over the place announced lectures about career possibilities. It was very crowded, and Ryou had to tell himself to keep calm. He read a vidscreen laying out the basic qualifications for jobs like working in the archives or data entry. KaibaCorp. offered excellent intern training and education on the work floor. The qualifications increased for the higher positions, but Ryou wasn't here for a job. He heaved a small sigh. Where could he start to look for Kaiba?

After a few hours, he was ready to give up. It had been a serious mistake to think he'd been able to get through to Kaiba himself. The career day was an opportunity to meet him, or so Ryou had thought in all his naivety. He should've known better, he should've known that Kaiba was far too busy to occupy himself with future employees so far below him. To make matters worse, the crowd was increasing, and it grated on his nerves. Ryou decided to leave. He didn't like massive amounts of people in one building, the pushing and pulling, the increasing noise. Yes, it was for the better to just go home - go home and lick his wounds. He could learn from this mistake and brood on other ways to reach Kaiba.

Ryou turned around to leave, at the same moment the crowd went oddly silent. Ryou widened his eyes as people started to whisper.

"Kaiba," he caught the man's name, "it's Kaiba himself!"

"What?" Ryou said out loud. A tall man shushed him.

"It's Kaiba," he repeated, "he's finally showing himself in public!"

Ryou's heart made a leap of joy and he quickly looked around, as if Kaiba were to magically appear in front of him. It was amazing how silent a crowd could be, as if a god had arrived in their midst. All heads were turned into one direction: where Kaiba was standing. Flanked by two burly bodyguards, the young CEO of KaibaCorp. looked every inch a ruler. Ryou had to admit that he was impressive; according to the general information known about Kaiba, he was barely one year his senior and had accomplished more than one could ever do in a lifetime. The very few existent pictures of Kaiba Seto didn't do him much justice; they failed to capture those icy blue, determined and piercing eyes, sweeping over the crowd. Not even a fly would escape that gaze; Ryou felt as if he had been X-rayed on the spot. Short-cropped, auburn hair framed Kaiba's stern face, stressed by the huge collar of his white and grey coat with the KaibaCorp. logo pinned on the lapel.

"Kaiba!" someone yelled, breaking the trance all of the sudden. "Kaiba, what's the secret to your success?"

"Kaiba! How much profit will you report this year?" Someone else yelled and the entire crowd broke out in questions, voices loud and roaring, and hands went up in the air, people desperately trying to get the CEO's attention. With a smirk on his lips, almost amused, Kaiba simply looked at the crowd, allowing the cacophony for another two minutes before raising his hand. The crowd went silent again.

"Thank you for visiting KaibaCorp.," he said. "It's a pleasure to see so many young and talented people interested in working for the galaxy's greatest enterprise!" Mokuba owed him big time for this. "We offer a great future for those who come into our employment, continuing to build and expand our success throughout the universe." Big, big time. Just look at all those faces; people were just like ants indeed, crowded and crawling at his feet. "I can't answer all your questions, but there are plenty of others around who can." With a terse movement of his head, he nodded at the employees who were trained to handle everything concerning a career day. Satisfied, Kaiba already turned around to leave.

"Kaiba, Kaiba, wait!" The crowd moved forward, and the bodyguards tensed up, ready to use their large hands to push everyone bothering Kaiba out of the way and, if need be, using their fists to make sure their boss was safe. Ryou wrestled himself through the crowd, using his elbows to move people out of his way. It went against his entire character, polite and modest as he was, but this was an opportunity he couldn't afford to waste. He had to talk to Kaiba, he had to get the man's attention, one way or the other. Mumbling "sorry, sorry" and "excuse me" as he slid past people and ducked under arms and avoided being hit with bags. He saw how Kaiba turned his back to the crowd, with every intention to go back to his own office, leaving his employees to deal with everyone. He was almost at the front row of the crowd, and Ryou all but stretched his arms, reaching for Kaiba - only to meet an unstoppable wall. The bodyguards had Kaiba's back, and efficiently rebuked everyone coming too close to the CEO. Ryou grunted. He had come all this way, he was so convinced of his own theories, he wanted to share them with Kaiba; yet he had totally lost every sense of reality. A grown CEO didn't want to hear about ancient Ceremonial Tablets and God Cards. Ryou simply had to try. He opened his mouth and started talking, increasing his voice as he was drowned out by the others, all begging, demanding, wanting, needing Kaiba's attention. The bodyguards pushed them back, repeating that everybody should keep calm and no, Kaiba wasn't going to answer questions, Kaiba was going back to his office… Ryou was about to give up. He never had the strength to move past these bodyguards, and his voice was too soft, no matter how hard he yelled, to be overheard.

Then, an opportunity presented itself. One young man jumped in front of Kaiba, breaking free from the crowd, bypassing the overwhelmed bodyguards.

"Kaiba, a picture!" The man said, waving a device in the air that got the bodyguards' attention - with lightning speed, they jumped on him, wrestling him to the ground, crashing the device with a steel-toed boot.

"My holographer!" His wail was muffled by the bulking bodyguards restraining him, and Ryou used the chaos to slip between the bodyguards and Kaiba himself. Swallowing, he looked up at the distracted CEO, watching the scene unfold - Ryou had read Kaiba's stats, but he really towered above him, and he had to crane his neck.

"Kaiba…" How to address a man like him? Somehow 'Mister Kaiba' didn't really cover it… his voice abandoned him, leaving him squeaking like a fangirl in front of Kaiba, but it got his attention. The sharp, blue eyes went from the wrestling bodyguards to Ryou, with such a disdain that it made him cower.

"I…" Ryou started, and that was all the time he got. Now that the wannabe-photographer had been restrained, the other bodyguard had his hands free again and was quick to get back on his feet, grabbing Ryou at the upper arm. The man's fingers felt like logs crushing his bones, and he gasped in pain.

"Apologies, Master Kaiba," the man blurted out, "the situation's under control again. It wasn't a gun." He yanked at Ryou's arm again. "I'll take care of this one."

"Not a moment to soon," Kaiba snorted, and took a step forward, not bothering to look at Ryou. One chance. One opportunity. Now!

"I think you are the descendant of an Ancient Egyptian priest!"

That got everyone's attention. Kaiba snapped his head back, his eyes widened, looking at him as if he had sprouted a second head. "I believe that you are involved in a prophecy concerning the God Cards."

"God Cards?" Ryou noticed the flicker in Kaiba's eyes. Of course the CEO knew all about them, it was thanks to him that the holographic versions of the cards were displayed in the Expanding Galaxies Contemporary Museum. "What about them?"

"Master Kaiba, if you allow me…" The bodyguard tugged once more at Ryou's arm, eluding another hiss of pain. Kaiba raised his hand and the bodyguard froze his movement.

"What about them?" He repeated, as if he wasn't standing in the middle of a silent crowd.

"They are depicted on a Ceremonial Tablet from ancient times, together with a priest and a Pharaoh," Ryou spoke so quick that he fumbled his words, "and the priest bears an uncanny likeness to you. As the Ancient Egyptians believed in baa and kaa and reincarnation, I think…"

"Take him to my office," Kaiba brusquely said and swept past Ryou and the bodyguard, leaving everyone in his wake baffled.




"Back so soon, big brother?" Mokuba sat leisurely on the sofa, enjoying a tall glass of orange juice. His own laptop was on the coffee table, the screen showing cartoon-ish pictures of cars, games and battle robots; after all, intelligent as he was, Mokuba Kaiba was still a child. He wasn't very perturbed at his elder brother not greeting him in return and stalking to his large mahogany desk, sitting down with an abrupt movement and starting up his own laptop.

"I take it things went well." Mokuba shrugged. His brother would never change, and he knew him long enough to be able to read his body language. Seto was brooding about something, the way he was typing away at his keyboard. Whatever it was, at the moment it wasn't important enough to give up his break. One could only do so much studying in the morning, and he had more work to do in the afternoon. Despite his young age, he was already Vice-President of KaibaCorp. - and it wasn't just a title.

"Do you remember Duel Monsters?" Mokuba raised an eyebrow. Why would his brother suddenly mention a game that was…

"Illegal, banned, blah blah? Yeah, I remember Duel Monsters. You have all the decks and cards belonging to that game, big brother. It's worth millions of genz on the black market. I don't know why you purchased every card belonging to the game, but I do remember distinctly your fondness for the dragon cards… Blue Eyes White Dragon, right?"

"Right." Kaiba laced his fingers together.

"What's going on?" Mokuba's voice raised a pitch. Surprised, he almost tumbled off of the sofa when the door to the office went open and the two bodyguards entered, dragging a young kid with them.

"Master Kaiba," the right bodyguard said, "We…"

"Leave," Kaiba snapped. "You're fired, the both of you. Get out!"

Without another word, the bodyguards slinked off, leaving the kid in the middle of the office, right on the hand-made woolen carpet. Mokuba squinted his eyes. From this distance, it was hard to judge the other's age, but he had to be a student, he was still that young. Indignant, Mokuba climbed on the sofa again.

"Are you going to tell me what's this all about, big brother?"

The 'big brother' elicited a reaction from the young man, startling him a little bit.

"Tell me the exact nature of your visit," Kaiba demanded. "You have five minutes and make it more interesting than what you already told me."

"Allow me to show you this," Ryou stuttered, taking out his PMA from his bag. He had charged his Personal Manager Applicator before he left and switched to projection mode. He scrolled through the files to get to the pictures he wanted to show. Kaiba didn't look up when he projected images of the Ceremonial Tablet.

"This is all courtesy of the Expanding Galaxies Contemporary Museum," Ryou added nervously. He had known Kaiba had a younger brother, but it was so… unreal to see him in the flesh, just as it was unreal to be in Kaiba's office. "They have an exhibition on Ancient Egypt… I… ahem… the tablet depicts a duel between a Pharaoh and his priest, but unfortunately the ancient texts don't mention the winner. On the top, there are three images, representing the God Cards from the Duel Monsters game, an illegal game that… somehow caused the turmoil on Earth…"

"We all know that." Kaiba's voice was curt. "Is this nothing more than to prove that Duel Monsters existed back in Ancient Egypt or something?"

"You know what the God Cards looked like in real life," Ryou said. "No one else does. How would you know? Because you are the incarnation of the priest." He moved to point at the displayed image, and now Kaiba finally looked in the same direction.

"Pharaoh? Priest? That could be anyone." Kaiba grunted. "I thought you had something interesting to say, but you keep mentioning this ancient nonsense. The past is the past, and we look towards the future."

"Reincarnation is the future," Ryou shot back. "You are the future, the future version of the priest depicted on the Ceremonial Tablet. The God Cards are tied to you." He was waiting for Kaiba to answer his question about how he knew what the God Cards looked like, but the CEO kept his mouth shut. An awkward silence followed.

"And the prophecy part?" He finally asked.

"I'm not so sure about that," Ryou answered, a little deflated. "History tends to repeat itself. If the God Cards are still in existence, and with your knowledge on them, it might be that they can be used for another catastrophe, one we have to avoid. I… I would have to do some research on that matter."

Another silence. Ryou bit his lip. The five minutes had gone by, and he was still alive, standing in Kaiba's office. If he thought the earlier moments of silence had been awkward, it was nothing compared to the current silence. It felt like Kaiba was subconsciously taking him apart, piece by piece, and examining every piece before putting it back together.

"I think it's very interesting, Seto," Mokuba piped up from the couch, breaking the silence.

"Sometimes I wish you would just keep calling me 'big brother'," Kaiba muttered. "Every time you call me by the first name, I know there's going to be trouble. All right, you're my special advisor in this, Ryou Bakura."

Advisor? Why would Kaiba need him to be an advisor for? "What do you mean?"

"The God cards are interesting," Kaiba said. "I want to have the real cards. And you're going to find them for me."

"Find them for you?" He panicked. That wasn't why he had come here! "But my studies..!"

"You can contact your principal or dean or whatever it's called that you've put your studies on hold. Are you looking for a scholarship? Is it finances you're worried about?"

"Well, uhm, yes, it has taken a considerable amount of money to get here…" Ryou said, but his brain was working differently than his mouth. Was he really complaining to Kaiba of all people about money? He wasn't even able to wrap his head around what Kaiba was actually proposing… no, telling him what to do. The God Cards..?

"Take it up with Shizuka Kawaii, she's from Human Resources." Kaiba scribbled her name on a paper. "Tell her to get you started on a research funds and a place to stay as well. Now get out, I have work to do."

With his last lingering sense of reality, Ryou plucked the note from Kaiba's desk and took his PMA, switching off the projections. As he did, he caught Mokuba looking at him - a little mischievous perhaps, but certainly not unfriendly. He stammered his thanks, even though he wasn't really sure where he was thanking Kaiba for; all that Ryou knew, was that he was into this over his head and he had no idea how to reach the surface again.




When the last notes of the piano music faded, Anzu allowed her feet to rest on the polished wooden floor, carefully finishing her ballet position. Her toes ached, sweat ran all over her back, and her muscles protested. It didn't show on her face; she wore a perfect expression of elegance and beauty, as if nothing could touch or hurt her. How reality was different… she wanted to collapse where she was standing, but Madame Korishnova was strict; if she gave up now, the old lady would ban her for at least a week.

"Hold the pose, Mazaki!" For an elderly woman, she had the voice of a bullhorn; Anzu had since long stopped wincing. She was used to the harsh discipline and the strict regimen; it was her life, dancing was her whole universe. Madame was the best teacher around; she wouldn't survive in the dancing world without the proper classic education. "Hold the pose!"

For how much longer? Anzu took great pride in her ballet classes, grateful that she could afford it. Vertregg 12 wasn't a planet invested in arts, dance or culture; it was a luxury of the lowest priorities. People were too busy with their jobs and real life, and an exhibit or a performance wasn't part of it. Anzu had always felt like an outsider, preferring dancing and art in general over slaving at an office desk, taking orders from cranky bosses, and saving up for a retirement funds. If it was up to her, she would dance, her whole life, even if it meant surviving on dry bread and water. Suddenly, she noticed that she had slacked a little; her arm wasn't any longer in the perfect position she held it in before.

"Fine. We're done." Madame Korishnova gazed at Anzu over the rim of her glasses, licking her wrinkled lips. So far, she had always encouraged Anzu to continue dancing and Madame didn't bother encouraging people without talent. The ballet studio was her only source of income, still she rejected everyone who didn't meet her list of requirements. Her husband had died a few years ago, leaving her little to no pension; Anzu was assuming the woman was living on air, judging her thin frame. Frame of steel that was, as she was still able to keep up with the exercises and routines Anzu had difficulties performing. She wouldn't utter one bad word about her teacher, but a compliment every once in a while would be nice. Anzu relaxed however, and went to the corner to pick up a towel, dabbing at her face.

"Thank you for the class, Madame," Anzu thanked her. The woman appreciated good manners and as she tutored private lessons, Anzu saw no reason not to thank her for her time.

"Work on those arms, Mazaki," was all the recognition she got. It was fairly tame in comparison what Madame once had mentioned about her body, her positions, her weight… but it was all part of the deal. Anzu had build up quite the thick skin and she knew what she was capable of. She didn't need flattery or sweet words, she needed to reach the top, and she couldn't get there without stepping on some toes. With a curt nod at her teacher, Anzu went through the door to the dressing room. It was as small as a broom closet, but she didn't care. She picked up her pile of clothes and started to take off her sweat-soaked leotard. Using the towel to wipe off the sweat on her skin, she was looking forward to the moment she could take a shower. Madame didn't offer that kind of service; water was scarce and she wasn't going to share her rations with her students. Anzu didn't mind. She'd be home pretty soon.

She dressed herself, taking her time as to not put more stress to her already strained muscles. Ah, a shower and a massage, now that would be bliss! Dumping her sweaty leotard and the almost soaked towel into her bag - she was going to have to do laundry - Anzu left the dressing room and the ballet studio, only to be immediately hugged by Yuugi as soon as she got outside.

"How did it go?" he asked. It was tradition for him to pick her up after ballet class; they had enough time to spare before the curfew would hit, enough time for a nice walk, spending some time together without curious grandfathers, inquiring family or any other obligation. Anzu enjoyed these small hours so much, it was wonderful to have time with her fiancé alone. She couldn't wait until they were able to afford a home on their own.

"The usual," she answered airily. Yuugi knew how taxing the classes were, and often suggested she'd go to another teacher. She had always refused; Madame was the perfect teacher and she was learning as much as she could. One day, she would surpass her teacher, and then it was time to branch out and find her true destiny in dance and performance. He looked at her, slightly frowning, but he let it slide.

"Something you want to do in particular?" He asked. "Burger World? Watching the fountain? Shopping before curfew?"

"Nah, I don't feel like having people all around me right now." Anzu looped her arm through his and pressed herself close. He returned the gesture with all the love and warmth she was used to receive, and she was relieved that nothing had changed about that. Ever since Atemu had suddenly popped up in their lives, Yuugi had started talking about him more than Anzu would like to hear. The strange 'traveler' dropped by the GameShop every day, talking to Yuugi and his grandfather about Egypt as if he'd been there. Atemu was far too young to have lived when Earth still existed, Anzu thought. He couldn't be much older than Yuugi - her fiancé might look like he hadn't finished high school yet, his ID was certainly proving that wrong. "I just want to spend some time with you."

"Likewise." Yuugi hated that he was smaller than Anzu, and he looked up at her, smiling. "Shall we go to the park, then?"

"That's fine by me." It was a short walk and even though there would be other people in the park, there was enough green to have a little privacy. Anzu scrapped her longing for a shower; she wanted some kissing and cuddling first! Yuugi didn't continue the conversation... in fact, he wasn't saying anything. Anzu raised her eyebrows. He always talked about his grandfather, the GameShop, games in general, customers, and annoyingly enough, about Atemu. But he hadn't mentioned him once since picking up Anzu from the ballet school, which was strange; usually he would've thrown out the name in the first minute he saw her.

"Yuugi, you're not talking," Anzu said without any reproach or anger in her voice. She was genuinely curious.

"I'm sorry, I was just thinking about something…" Yuugi was a bad liar, and she didn't even need to remind him. She stood still.

"What's the matter?"

"I want to ask you something," Yuugi said, keeping his eyes low. She disliked it when he did that; his eyes were so beautifully honest and open, and when he didn't look at her, it felt like something really, really bad was going on.

"What is it?" He hadn't broken up their contact, her arm was still looped through his.

"I want to visit Atemu-kun on his ship," Yuugi said. "I would like to see his ship. Only with your permission, of course."

Anzu frowned. In less than a week, Atemu had made it from '-san' to '-kun'. It grated on her nerves. She tried to not let it show. Somehow, the other had grown important to Yuugi, and she didn't want to hurt him. She also had to remind himself that despite Yuugi's innocent look and behavior, he was much smarter and observant than she gave him credit for. He had infallibly picked up on her aversion towards Atemu, despite her trying to hide it. It touched her that he asked for her permission even though he was more than competent enough to go to the docks and meet Atemu on his own. She brought up her other hand and ruffled his hair.

"If it's so important to you, of course you may visit him," she said. He beamed up at her, and she couldn't help from returning the smile. That was the Yuugi she knew, and she loved to see him happy.

"Thank you so much, Anzu!" He reached up on his toes to kiss her on the cheek. "I've never been inside a real spaceship."

"You're welcome," she said and resumed walking again. As if a dam had broken, Yuugi started talking about his day at the GameShop, a particularly funny customer and a new hologame that was recently developed. They arrived at the park and while Yuugi was talking, Anzu suddenly realized that she wasn't looking forward to the kissing and cuddling anymore. Her stomach turned itself into knots. She had the agonizing feeling that her permission was going to be the end of everything she had worked and lived for.

-----------------------------------



Chapter 6 | Chapter 8 (not up yet)