Below the Surface


-----------------------



It was still early, in the Palace was at rest. She'd chosen this particular hour because it was silent, soft and sweet- not many people would think she, Mana, apprentice to Priest and the great spirit sorcerer Mahaado, would be up at this time.

It made her smile, though- she never minded much that people didn't take much effort or time to look past her bubbly, bouncing exterior, and simply laughed at her childlike attitude. It worked in her favor at times like these, but often it was frustrating and she wanted to stamp her foot when people laughed at her or continued treating her like a kid.

She was on her way to become a powerful sorceress herself- she wasn't able to see a spirit ka, let alone summon it, but one day..! She couldn't help it that she didn't have all those spells memorized like her teacher, or be as organized or efficient as High Priest Set, or as perfect Priest Shaadah, who never seemed to forget, to spill, to laugh, to make a mistake of any kind.

She continued to smile however, her feet sinking to the ankle in the thick carpet. The wool tickled her skin, but it felt soft and comfortable. It was a gift from some king from some country whose name she'd forgotten already. There was always someone visiting from another country, they couldn't expect her to keep up with all of their names, could they?

It was a really nice carpet, its pattern representing goddesses and nymphs bathing, surrounded by beautiful nature and animals. It really put the bare, faint red rug in her room to shame, but she was just an apprentice, not anyone of a real high rank. She shrugged, not really caring much about riches and luxury. She was used to a certain standard of course, seeing as she was brought to the Royal Palace as a very young child, surrounding her with gold and servants.

Despite everything, Mana had never been spoiled, and she had to work hard to keep up with her teacher, and he never hesitated to make her run the simplest errands, as to not allow her to become lazy or complacent. Mana didn't mind that much either- she sometimes felt uncomfortable when there was always someone close to her, a servant ready to take anything out of her hands, often without even being asked.

Life was good to her, as she had a roof over her head, clothes to wear, food to eat... and friends to love and to take care of. Her smile widened. It was so quiet at this hour, silence except for the steady breathing. Not even a slight rustling of the heavy curtains, not even a flicker of the small oil lamp. She could watch and gaze and look all that she wanted, and no one would notice.

Not many were as close to the Pharaoh as she was. No, not many at all. Actually... maybe only her teacher, Priest Mahaado, came as close to the Pharaoh as she- but that was hardly any surprise, seeing how the three of them had become friends from the first moment they met.

Her earliest memory was of her arrival at the large courtyard, brought there to meet the young Prince who would grow up to be the Pharaoh, and the young Priest in training who would be her teacher, Mahaado. He would grow up to be the Pharaoh's most loyal servant, his fierce devotion almost surpassing that of the other Priests all together. She heaved a soft sigh. It was logical for them to be so close to the Sun and Star of Khemet, the son of Ra, the son of Horus... the son of the Gods. And she was the closest one to him.

She felt cared for, by the both of them- they had studied together, fought together, cried and laughed together. She adored her teacher, continuously teasing him with his strict, stern behavior. He wouldn't take an hour of free time for himself even if he was forced to- he'd found some ancient script or scroll to study, and his idea of a good pastime was to dig through the library for even more ancient text. Huffing a little, she blew a wayward strand of hair out of her face with a puff of air.

There was someone she adored even more- her Pharaoh. Atemu. Officially she wasn't to call him with his given name, so she called him simply Prince. He still was that to her- the Prince who plucked the fruits from the branches she couldn't reach, the Prince who hid in large vases with their hide-and-seek games, and the same Prince who had become the Pharaoh. She could barely grasp what kind of burden and responsibilities he was carrying; the strain of being in command of a whole, wide nation had to be exerting.

Maybe that was why he looked so serious and stern all day, just like her teacher. Oh, he still had time for her, but he never played hide-and-seek with her anymore and a walk in the fruit garden had to be scheduled, instead of spontaneously organized. It was all different now, and it saddened her. She knew very well why people weren't taking her seriously all the time- wasn't it her own teacher who constantly reminded her to pay attention, to keep her focus, that she needed to answer to her responsibilities? Mana wasn't a slacker, but she preferred a little fun to walking around all day with a frown on her face. This was a Royal Palace, not a graveyard. She knew very well how to behave, and she wasn't ignorant, despite what everybody might think.

She'd been so sad when the Prince's father, Pharaoh Akunamukanon, had died. He left his very young son to take up his position, to become the new Pharaoh, and ascend to the Throne. Mana had been present at all the inaugural ceremonies, bored to death. She knew the Priests could hold lectures and speeches for hours on end, but on that day... it seemed really like there came no end to it at all.

Atemu had sat on the thrown, his face carefully schooled in a neutral expression. Her childhood friend, her 'brother', her Prince, her Pharaoh, sat alone on a cold and hard Throne, and with only her teacher as undoubtedly loyal friend. With the same fierce dedication of her teacher, Mana had decided at that very moment that she would take care of her Prince, her Pharaoh, and protect him and guard him to the best of her abilities and beyond.

Her smile grew wider, fondly. Maybe she wasn't the best spirit sorceress yet. Maybe she was a little bumbling, maybe she was a little air headed sometimes. Mana refrained from taking a step forward, forcing herself to stand still. She was a lot of things, but mostly she was loyal to her teacher and her Pharaoh, and she would do anything to protect them both. She would take good care of them- her friends, her teacher and brother, her master and... a dark blush spread across her cheeks. Would she ever dare to finish that train of thought? The moment he looked at her, he always smiled, which made her smile in return, knowing that she was the one to bring that smile on his face- his day was often too filled with frowns and serious business where she'd break her head over.

He moved, lips parting slightly as he turned around, sheets rustling. Mana clutched her want to her chest, her smile turning into a fond, endearing expression... It was nice to watch him sleep. One day she would learn to craft her own spell to see and read watch dreams, so she could catch a glimpse of them. She would love to know what he was dreaming of. A woman in his life? The latest council meeting? Any other problem that might troubling him? The only thing she could do to protect him here was to guard his dreams, and intervene when she noticed he was having a nightmare- it would only take a few soothing words, not even a spell, to calm him down again.

Watching him sleep was the only opportunity for her to catch him at ease, showing the signs again of the child he was supposed to be. He had more duties than her, and the weight of his tasks had to be horrible- but she would be there, invisible, a step behind him, watching out for him, protecting him and guarding him. Let the people think she wasn't paying attention. Let them dismiss her, discard her. Their opinion didn't matter to her. Her Prince, her Pharaoh was all that mattered, and she was very serious in the promises and the decisions she had made. She was the closest to him, she was the one who knew him, she was the one who touched him.

He would wake up soon now, so she'd better leave the room- if the early morning servants arrived and found her in the Pharaoh's chambers, it wouldn't look very good for her. Best friend or not, they would ask what she was doing there, her teacher would be confused and maybe disappointed in her if he found out, and her Pharaoh himself..? What would he think of her standing at the foot end of his bed, watching him, memorizing every line of his face, every strand of his hair, every intake of breath?

She was just simply guarding him. Guarding his dreams. Guarding his rest, guarding his whole being. She wanted to be wherever he was, close to him as a shadow, his light, anything that would surround him, the one that comforted him with a single word, the slightest of gestures, the slightest of touches... just one touch.

It wasn't the first night she'd spend in his room, watching over him, and many nights would follow. She almost frowned herself, an unfamiliar expression to her and she lightened up almost the next second, as he turned around, sheet slipping away from his ankle. She moved forward, every footstep silenced by the carpet, and she carefully pulled at the sheet to move it back over his feet. It was the beginning of a touch... and a gentle gesture of comfort. She didn't want him to wake up all cold. One day, she would wake up in his arms, and there would be all the warmth she needed. They would wake up together, facing another day as dark and light, sun and moon, fire and water, land and ocean. She'd be there. Undoubtedly.


---------------