Petals of Stone



--------------------------------------------


Touchdown, following necessary procedures when landing, unloading the supplies -- it went all by Duo and Heero as in a trance. The two adults hardly made an effort to do any work, leaving it to the two first years to unload the supplies, check the packing lists, store the wrapped crates and boxes in the designated areas... it took a lot of energy and time.
"I'd kill for something to eat," Duo grunted as he finished placing the last of the crates on top of each other. "At least they won't have to worry about their stock in dried soup and beef jerky for another couple of months."

Heero checked the boxes off the large list he was carrying. "Fortunately, that was the last one. We only need to give these lists to the respective persons, to let them know their shipment has arrived."

"Can we get something to eat then?" Duo whined.

"Yes we can," Heero nodded, feeling rather hungry himself. He checked his watch as well; it was about dinner time and they hadn't had anything since breakfast this morning. He'd leave a scathing remark about the lazy 'adults' in his mission report later -- they probably would be celebrating their afternoon off while the two cadets were doing their tedious, menial work.

They were in luck -- after delivering the supply list to respectively a cranky doctor in the medical ward and a gruff mechanic in the large hangars; they encountered the woman in charge of the kitchen, who was very friendly and good-natured.

"Look at you! You're two small sacks of stick and bones! Really, those Academy officials aren't looking after you boys well enough! Sit down and eat! You're not going away before you have at least had two helpings!"

"Wow, real recognizable potatoes," Duo said out loud, winking at Heero, which elicited even more indignant cries from the woman, who didn't even take one look at the supply list.

"You can't be serious! What do they serve you anyway?"

"Slosh," Duo answered, putting on his most serious face.

"Muck. We're happy if we can recognize two things every week. It's all pre-made, pre-boiled, pre-chewed, perhaps. Not much vitamins and minerals... I think half the cadets are snacking on extra preparations."

"Horrible," the woman exclaimed, close to throwing up her hands in midair. "How dare they? You youngsters are the backbone of the military! You should have good, nutritious food!"

"Like that, over there?" Duo suddenly pointed out, attracting Heero's attention, who had been listening in half-heartedly, concentrating on his food. The woman turned around to follow the direction he was pointing to, seeing the silver dishes placed at a small trolley.
>BR? "Chief Engineer Tubarov has a very exclusive taste," she finally said, grimacing. "I'm not even allowed to touch it. We have a special chef here, just working for him. As if my cooking isn't good enough!"

She snorted dangerously loud, and Duo had to stifle a small laughter before he continued. "The man doesn't know what he's missing out on! It tastes wonderful!"

"Thank you dearie," the woman smiled widely, immediately providing him with another round of meat and potatoes. Heero only had to move his plate a little to receive a second helping as well.

"They also said that he didn't want low-ranking soldiers traveling with him," he mentioned as he cut a rather large potato. The woman nodded, meanwhile busying herself with some dirty dishes.

"I know the man is very important, with those mobile suits and thingies and all, but he has an ego the size of twice this Base. He even had special quarters for himself build here, right on the Upper Deck, with two guards at his door!"
Heero quickly glanced at Duo, who was eating with gusto, but he knew the other was filing this useful information away as well. The woman scrubbed the dishes, waving her large brush around. "Everyone is relieved to see him go for this weekend. Let him hold his precious lecture at the Academy and bore everyone to death."

"I'm getting full," Duo mentioned, shifting his last potato around on his plate.

"Oh no, you don't," she immediately turned around. "I don't know of any teen boy who doesn't have room for desert!"

"You really should come with us to the Academy and teach the cooks there," Duo smiled, shoving his empty plate towards her. She probably could make any wonderful dish from all the pre-made foods there, making dinner time something to look forward to instead of dreading it in fear.

The woman laughed softly and placed two large plates with desert in front of them. "Eat up, boys. I've got my hands full with the staff here; I doubt I'd be able to handle all those kids."

After they finished their deserts, Heero and Duo said their goodbyes to the kind woman and left the kitchen, looking for someone who would know enough to tell them where they'd spend the night... or at least, pretend to spend the night.

"Two guards at the door, and the Upper Deck," Heero said softly. They both had memorized the detailed floor plans of the Base, and knew that the Upper Deck was the most difficult to reach.

"We can't go outside, that would take too much time and preparation," Heero mentioned. Duo nodded affirmatively. "We have to pass these guards and gain access to Tubarov's room."

"Without him being there, preferably."

"Yeah, preferably."

"Hey you two, Maxwell and Yuy, right?"

They both snapped their heads to the left, having talked at such low volume that no one would've been able to overhear their words. The adrenalin was running through their system, as they recognized the one speaking was the taller of the two adults on the supply ship.

"Did they assign you your room yet? There's a return flight at 06:00 hours tomorrow, and you'd better not miss it."

"We were hoping to carry the Chief Engineer's suitcases on his trip to the Academy," Duo answered and the man snickered.

"Right... you're nothing but a grunt in his eyes. Nice try, but that... ehm.. privilege is only reserved for those in his service -- and trust me, carrying that man's suitcases is the last thing you want to do, really."

"Fine, fine," Heero said gruffly, "where's our room?"

The man waved behind him. "End of this hallway. You can't miss it. Report back on time tomorrow."

The 'room' was indeed hard to miss; it was nothing short of overgrown cupboard where two beds were made. Heero snorted when seeing it and Duo shook his head.

"Wow, they're really equipped for extra visitors, right?"

"Don't worry -- those other two won't sleep much better, I guess. The Lunar Base is for scientists and technicians only; they don't have any accommodation for military personnel here -- or they think that soldiers can sleep everywhere."

"We're supposed to be able to do that," Duo remarked dryly and put his bag down, zipping it open. He proceeded to change into a perfectly black outfit that covered his entire body. With a dark pin he fixed his braid into a position where it wouldn't move; adding his black cap as finishing touch.

Heero changed into a black outfit as well, making sure that his equipment -- a small flashlight, among others -- was black and not easy detectable either. He took his laptop out of the protective case, waiting for Duo to finish stuffing their bags and belongings under the ratty covers of the beds. No one was probably going to look for them, but two empty beds would be extremely suspicious. With a bit of luck, anyone checking up on them would buy the bulges under the covers as the decoy it was supposed to be.

"We still didn't discuss how we're going to create a diversion," Heero whispered to Duo as they made their way out of the large corridor, hardly making a sound. "We need to take the guards out..."

"Maybe we don't," Duo suddenly said, holding still before a large, illuminated lay-out of the Lunar Base attached to the wall. They had looked at it when searching for their 'room', matching it with the lay-out they already had memorized. Nothing had changed at the Base and Heero frowned, not understanding what Duo was hinting at.

"We don't have all the time of the world," he said, "remember Tubarov's schedule?"

"Yes, I remember," Duo answered, slightly irritated. "How much of a chance do you think we stand at taking out two armed guards before Tubarov's bedroom, in the hopes of finding some data on mobile suits in his bedroom?"

"This isn't the time to question our mission parameters, or the plans we..."

"Heero, the man is a Chief Engineer. We won't find plans in his bedroom! We have to be here!"

"Lower your voice!" Heero chastised him, eyes flying to the location Duo was pointing to at the bottom of the lay-out. "The sub floors?"

"We'll have more luck and chance at finding data at the place where the man's working, then his bedroom," Duo said, confident. "Besides, we're both good at sneaking and snooping around, and this way we'll avoid dealing with diversions and guards."

"You're just lazy," Heero said, but didn't mean it in the least. Duo was right about the data, but the original plan had been to search for it in the Chief Engineer's bedroom and not in the technical facilities on the Lunar Base's sub levels. Their plan had focused on claiming Tubarov's laptop, downloading all the data on it, an 'in-and-out' job in mere minutes. He didn't like deviating from the initial plan; and he didn't know whether to slap himself for forgetting on how impulsive Duo could be or to praise himself for being partnered with someone like Duo who was impulsive, but managed to concoct a new plan within the minute.

"Sub levels are this way," Duo whispered, motioning Heero to follow him. They went down with the emergency staircase, rubber soles on their shoes perfectly dimming every sound on the metal steps. The elevators could be monitored, and extra activity after the curfew -- even the Lunar Base had one -- would be suspicious.

"Technical facilities are at -2," Heero remarked, voice just as low.

"What's on this level?" Duo asked, holding still for a moment and trying to peek through the small window in the door.

"Laboratories, I believe," Heero answered, almost absent-mindedly.

"Looks like holding cells to me," Duo muttered, and his hand went to the door knob.

"What are you doing? This isn't -2..."

"Why the hell does the Lunar Base need holding cells for?"

"I don't know, maybe for wayward staff? Duo, we need to... Duo!" Heero hissed. Liability, liability... and while his mind was focused on the mission, his body moved on his own, following Duo into the cold and empty corridor of sublevel 1. There was nothing but a row of doors, with electronic locks mounted on a right panel. Curious, Duo moved forward, but Heero finally grabbed his elbow.

"Enough! Duo, mission!"

"I thought I heard something," he snapped back.

"No!" Heero made an irritated move with his head. "Get back on track, Maxwell!"

He got a fiery glare in return, and then Duo almost pushed him to the side and stalked past him. Heero turned around to follow him, when he suddenly heard a cough coming from afar. A familiar cough... as if someone was dying, a rattling and low throaty sound. It couldn't be...

"Heero!" Now it was Duo, holding the door open for him, irritation audible in his voice. He shook his head and quickly followed after him, making sure the door wouldn't make any sound when closing. Forcing himself to focus on the mission again, Heero descended after Duo to the second sublevel. It was after 23:00 hours, curfew for the staff and military personnel on the Base, but apparently Tubarov and his crew were working a late shift. The Chief Engineer was reported to hold a rather strict schedule, retreating to his quarters at exactly midnight, which meant that he was still here at the technical facility, together with gods only knew who... Heero tried to squelch another wave of irritation that they didn't execute the mission according to his first plan. Creating a diversion for the two guards wouldn't have been a problem, and they would've had at least a full hour to find something in the man's bedroom.

"R & D, design..." Duo muttered softly as they passed closed doors, all sealed with electronic pads. There were muffled voices behind the doors, but no guards in the hallway. As long as no one would step out of one of the doors right this moment, everything would be fine... Heero felt the adrenalin pumping through his body, and knew Duo had to feel the same -- he could see it, see how alert the other was. Duo moved with the same feline, predatory grace as Marquise did, using every shadow to his advantage to make himself invisible. He felt like an elephant compared to Duo's stealth techniques, and the only comforting thought was that he, Heero, was better at cracking codes and hacking into particularly encrypted networks.

"Test lab," Duo grinned and pointed forward. A large window with soundproof and bulletproof glass offered a large view into the test laboratory at another sublevel, brightly lit with clusters of large bulb lights. To the left was a large metal skeleton of a mobile suit, legs already encased in armor, a prototype of an unidentified weapon attached to the lower left arm.

"Judging from the colors, that must be the Virgo," Heero commented. Duo pressed his gloved fingers to the glass, as if testing. "Our camera won't work here -- this glass will reflect the flash, no matter what."

"If only we had access to more sophisticated equipment..."

"Hey, elder students only."

"We better get to work. Duo?"

"Right here, buddy."

Heero arched an eyebrow, but Duo already had moved away, going further down the hallway. After inspecting the large corridor -- no one behind them -- Heero sank to the ground, kneeling and opening one of the many pockets of his outfit, taking out a small device that was designed to fortify receiving points of wireless networks. He tossed it to Duo, not even checking if the other caught it; he proceeded immediately to set up his laptop, fingers flying over the keys and only pausing to hook a small hearing aid behind his left ear. If there was any conversation in the laboratory down below, the receiver would pick it up as well. Doctor J. might've been a rather strange person, never mind that Heero owed his life to him, the man was a pure genius. Duo had already been given the other hearing aid that came with the set. Attentively watching the screen, it depended on Duo placing the receiver and how strong the signals were going to be. Heero's eyes adjusted to the brightness of the screen, contrasting with the relative darkness of the hallway. Lots of windows were popping up as the equipment was trying to make contact to the network. It was a matter of seconds now, to mask his hook-up to the network; no doubt some computer at the Lunar Base would automatically check every appliance or device connected onto the network. At this moment, he had to trust Duo to be perfectly safe on his own, and trust him to guard his back as well -- he needed all his concentration right now. Suppressing a triumphant smirk as he was on the network, undetected as for now, he started logging the data as the little program he wrote himself was sifting through the massive files, separating useful information from the useless clutter.

The receiver seemed to work perfectly, and Duo watched Heero work; it wouldn't take long to gather data on the mobile suits. All he had to do was to keep an eye out for anyone approaching and to recognize a change in the situation as potential danger and act upon it. Rather boring, actually, as Heero was having all the fun -- well, as much as going through boring files on mobile suits could be fun in the first place. Finally, the receiver also picked up something spoken -- a conversation in the laboratory down below, but the height difference seemed to disturb the signal. Duo listened intently, but he couldn't make much of it -- the nasal voice that grated immediately on his nerves had to be Tubarov's -- the Chief Engineer was also renowned for loving to listen to himself talk. He made sure to memorize bits of conversation, as he doubted that the receiver would also record and Heero was too busy to listen in right now. Duo regretted not having brought his own laptop, but had agreed with Heero's plan to only bring his one; not only was Heero's laptop better equipped, it also would've raised questions if both of them would've brought a laptop along a simple guard task. Checking their surroundings again -- the late shift would end at midnight exactly; at least when Tubarov would retreat to his quarters --, Duo stifled a yawn. Maybe the others would continue to work, even pulling double shifts... looking at the bare skeleton of the new type of suit, there was still a lot of work to be done. Duo felt excitement besides the adrenalin; excitement about the day that he would be able to pilot a similar suit. No more simulations, but a real suit -- maintaining control over tons of titanium alloy, mastering every piloting skill in existence. He lifted up his sleeve to take a peek at his watch. 23:30 hours... it wouldn't take Heero much longer to download the right data, would it? Looking up, he saw Heero crouched down at the window, completely concentrating on his work. Duo stifled a yawn again and took out his lock picks, sifting through them. It didn't look like the situation was about to change anytime soon, and maybe he could occupy himself by trying to pick the lock on the only door he'd seen without an electronic lock. Not that electronic locks held any secrets for him -- sometimes it was just fun picking an old-fashioned one.

It was satisfying to know that he still was able to get it done under three minutes; Duo grinned to himself as he opened the door without any difficulties. He shone with his flashlight into the small room. It looked like a simple office: an oval table with five seats, a telephone and a few paper notebooks. Apparently some meeting had been held here, either that or the cleanup crew had forgotten about this room. Empty coffee cups, small packets of sugar and full ashtrays were but a few signs of the mess the previous occupants of this room had made. Curiously, Duo went to the table to pick up one of the notebooks. Someone had been doodling on the front cover, and when Duo opened it, a small bundle of paper fell out.

"Fuck!" He hissed to himself, and quickly moved to pick it up, intending to stuff it back into its original place, when his eyes noticed the writings on the first page. That was a familiar handwriting. A very familiar handwriting. It was the same handwriting as on almost every Academy speech when published in the paper journal and reference books. It was tradition that, even in this era of electronic mail and paperless communication, the major part of the speeches was written out by hand. Zechs Marquise had a very distinctive handwriting when it came to his spirited declamations and speeches, and Duo had no difficulty in recognizing it. What the hell was Zechs Marquise doing at the Lunar Base? Was he still here? The man wasn't tied to the Academy for the full hundred percent; he spend most of his time there for the special trainings and to select the right candidates for the right education. Was this just something simple and was he thinking the worst of just a meeting? After all, Marquise had more obligations than just being an instructor.

His watch beeped softly, a sign that there were only fifteen minutes left. Duo took out the paperwork and hid it inside his jacket, placing the notebook back on the tabletop, exactly in its previous position. He left the small room, glancing at the window and noticing that some of the technicians were obviously about to leave. Duo moved his hand over his ear, hoping that the little receiver would pick something up, but it was nothing but small talk; if they'd said something important, he'd missed it by rummaging around in the other room. He knelt down and removed the receiver. Heero would notice his network going down -- the receiver would transmit a few warning signals before finally shutting off. He quickly removed any traces of the receiver and stashed the little device in one of his pockets as he made his way over to Heero.

"Mission accomplished," he said, satisfied, as he was shutting his laptop down. "I think we have enough data files, Duo."

"Great, now let's get the fuck out of here," Duo answered, which earned him a questioning look from Heero. "It's late," he added half-heartedly.

Heero nodded, his look lingering on Duo. His hand went up to remove the small hearing aid and he pocketed it, closing the laptop with his other hand.

"Did you obtain any other useful information?"

"I managed to pick up something," Duo answered, patting on his chest. "We better get out of here first."

He took the lead, zigzagging across the large hallway, hugging the walls. Heero followed him, knowing that Duo chose the best spots to remain undetected. The Lunar Base wasn't the top of the bill when it came to security, but there were cameras and, albeit sporadically, patrol guards. Every now and then, Duo held still to check if no one was approaching, or if the noises on the other side of the door had changed. Voices were still to be heard, mostly in low, composed tones -- technicians discussing new designs, maybe adding more data? Heero cradled the laptop to his chest, the adrenalin of the mission still surging through him. The door to the emergency staircase seemed so far away, yet so close... if one of the doors opened, if one of the technicians would step out and spot them...

They both released the breath they were holding when Duo opened the door, slipping through it, followed closely by Heero.

"We made it. Now, upstairs to the ground floor," Duo pointed up with his finger and Heero nodded. The sublevels were cold, and as their mission was accomplished -- he pursed his lips a little, pensively. There was something that he wanted to check up on, even though it wasn't in the mission specs, or part of the original plan... and maybe Duo's impulsive character was rubbing off on him. As soon as they reached the -1 level, he tugged at Duo's sleeve.

"I have to be here, just for a moment."

"What? Why? What are you doing?"

"Shhh..."

Duo was baffled to see how Heero opened the door to the level they previously visited. "You didn't want to be there..!"

"Shhh," Heero shushed him again and seemed to listen -- Duo didn't understand what sound he possibly could be picking up, as it was silent as ever. He only noticed a very faint cough, and as soon as Heero heard the coughing, he took a sprint to the end of the hallway.

"Heero!" Duo whispered agitatedly, and went into pursuit, gritting his teeth. What had gotten into the other? Hadn't they finished the mission, and wasn't deviation from the mission specs almost a sacrilege according to Heero?

Holding still at the very last door on the right, Heero stood on his toes to be able to look through the small window.

"Dr. J.?" He asked, voice low.

"Well, what do you know? I never thought to see you here, son," a raspy voice greeted him, the voice of his mentor. Heero closed his eyes for a brief moment to battle the wave of emotions connected to his time with the man, and he forced himself to keep breathing evenly.

"What are you doing here?"

"I can ask the same question of you," the man answered, shuffling through the detention cell to come close to the window.

"You weren't supposed to be captured," Heero hissed. He ignored Duo standing next to him, wearing a confused look on his face.

"I'm not as perfect as you, Heero. Now answer me: what are you doing here?"

He was slightly taken aback and almost stuttered his answer. "We're here for a mission from the Academy... acquiring data on mobile suits. It determines two thirds of our grade."

"Acquiring data? Be careful to who you give that information to, young boy," another scratchy voice floated through the room and Duo almost choked.

"Prof G.!" He voiced out loud, a little too loud, and he propped himself up to be able to look through the small window as well. "What are you doing here?"

Now it was Heero's turn to choke as he saw an elderly man with an unbelievable mop of mushroom-shaped gray hair, and a moustache that covered the lower half of his face.

"This is getting redundant, don't you think? So you're here too, Shinigami," the other man said, a grin twisting his lips. "Fancy meeting you here at the Lunar Base. Did you get a good sight on the suit?"

"We gathered enough data to fulfill the mission's targets," Heero answered, keeping the slight confusion out of his voice. Both men seemed to know him and Duo -- did they know each other as well, or were they simply put into one detention cell for whatever reason?

Dr. J. shook his head. "You better be careful, the both of you. I know Marquise has visited the Lunar Base quite often, and the prototype of mobile suit they're building is based on our designs. It's not like any other mobile suit... it's a Mobile Doll."

"I saw mentions of a Mobile Doll system when I was scrolling through the files," Heero said, exchanging a look with Duo who was staring at his mentor.

"I have to give it to Marquise -- he still is a master in manipulating people into the right position."

"What do you mean?"

"Did your 'mission' specify any details on the data you had to acquire?"

"No, not in particular. We thought it would be something on the Virgo, the new model Tubarov was supposed to be working on?"

"It's not the Virgo, it's the Vayaete," the man with the mushroom shaped hair objected. "It's one of our finest models."

"You're working for Tubarov? But..!" Duo raised his voice again in surprise.

"Silence!" Dr. J. barked, immediately lowering his tone of voice. "You still have your laptop, don't you? Yes? All right, I'll try to send you information as soon as possible. Give the data you acquired as to accomplish your mission and get your grade. You're safe at the Academy, and you're too valuable to be expended or expelled, no matter what they say. Use the time you're given to train well and study diligently, Heero. War will break out soon, and then we have to be prepared. Keep a copy of the data you gathered and familiarize yourself with it. These are my orders. Now get out of here, another shift will start soon, and if they catch you here..."

"We can't leave you here," Duo hissed. "Prof G.! This is a detention cell! You have to come with us..."

"Leave me, young Shinigami," the man answered, pointedly turning his back on him. "Fulfill the promises you made, and keep yourself to your oaths. My time has already come."

"Duo, I hear footsteps," Heero whispered, taking a step back from the door. Dr. J. already had faded back into the darkness of the cell, the look on his face neutral -- Heero couldn't imagine the other to wear any other expression. Even if both their mentors would've wanted to escape, it was impossible to get them off the Lunar Base.

"Fine," Duo answered reluctantly, realizing that they had to hurry. He threw a last look at the cell, frustrated that he wasn't able to do something to help. He finally turned around, following Heero back to the stairs. Dodging the cameras on the wall easily -- this detention area was minimum security only --, Heero halted after opening the door. The staircase was empty, only the faint noise of receding footsteps to be heard -- maybe someone who wanted to keep in shape had decided to use the stairs instead of the comfortable elevators. They waited a painstakingly long two minutes before the last one of the footsteps died away.

"Let's go," was all that Heero whispered before dashing up the stairs. Duo didn't hesitate for one second to follow him, and without any difficulties they reached the ground floor.

It took them another valuable seven minutes to return to their room, as they had to avoid the midnight patrol shift. It wasn't that much of a problem -- most of the guards looked bored and longing for a smoke. Apparently, security was so low on the Lunar Base's priority list that made Heero wonder why they housed an extremely advanced research and development nerve center here, as if no one cared about the confidentiality of the new designs and plans of the mobile suits. Or perhaps they're so convinced of their own perfection and domination that they're too arrogant to even think of having any security. Ignoring that train of thought, Heero heaved a soft sigh when stating that everything in their room was untouched. Supply runs were boring and tedious jobs; no one would pay attention to those who accompanied it -- after all, they were just simple two first year students, right?

Duo went to his bed, pulling back the covers to remove his duffle bag underneath. Heero sat sideways down on his bed and opened his laptop again, rummaging around in his pockets while the device was booting up.

"Heero, what are you doing?" Duo turned around. "We need to catch some sleep; we have to report very early on deck tomorrow... eh, later on."

"I know. I'm going to make that copy Dr. J. told me about, to keep for ourselves."

"Maybe it's better that you don't -- who knows what we'll be messing with."

Heero took out a spare memory stick and attached it to his laptop. "If anyone asks questions, I'll take full responsibility, Duo. I trust Dr. J. He's the man who saved me... and also the man who taught me the smell of burning flesh."

Duo whistled lowly. "Your mentor, right? What did he do... to teach you that?"

"He didn't teach me on purpose," Heero said, eyes focused on the screen. "An earlier mission that went wrong. It was... part of the job." He hit a few keys, brusquely pointing at a window on his screen.

"There it is. Mobile Doll System."

Duo closed the distance between them and leant a little forward to look over Heero's shoulder, frowning.

"Everything is marked by Tubarov. Those are the blueprints of the suit we saw, the Vayaete. It's going to be equipped with that Mobile Doll System as well."

"As far as I can see, that system is a battle system based on data from pilots, so the suit can make its own decisions in battle and adjust its course of action. Human aspect will be completely removed from fighting..."

"A perfect soldier," Duo said dryly, his braid slipping over his shoulder and over Heero's. "It's a machine with enough intelligence to make its own decisions in battle. No fear, no doubt, no hesitation, no blood, no life to spill."

"Is this what Marquise really wanted to know? Did he give us this mission to acquire data for his own use?"

"Your mentor implied that, but I think Marquise already knows," Duo said, shaking his head a little. His hand went under his black vest, unbuttoning it, fingers slipping inside to retrieve a small bundle of papers.

"I found this in another room. It has Marquise's handwriting on it, and it's a presentation on the Mobile Doll System."

"The Lightning Count is a double crosser."

"Hey, we don't know that," Duo said, leaning into Heero, braid shifting over his shoulder. "Don't fling around accusations like that; it'll get you in trouble. Who knows? Maybe he was only here to gather information or an update on the system."

"I think Dr. J. was right -- we should be very careful who we give this information to. He isn't in a detention cell for nothing, along with the guy you knew."

"Professor G. He's my... benefactor -- he was the one to train me after the church burned down."

The copy to the memory stick was finished and Heero disconnected it. His hand brushed past Duo's braid when storing the memory stick and his fingers wrapped themselves around the rope of hair.

"Why did he call you Shinigami?"

"That's... something personal," Duo answered. If he'd already noticed the fingers around his braid, he didn't comment on it. There was a moment of silence, though not awkward. Heero still held the tuft of Duo's braid in his hand, his thumb rubbing past the tie.

"It's the God you believe in, right?"

Silence again. Duo pursed his lips for a moment, and then a soft smile curled his lips. "Yes, he's the God I believe in."

"I think we all believe in the God of Death," Heero sighed, brushing the tuft of Duo's braid against his own cheek almost absent-mindedly. "We've all seen death and destruction..."

"Sickness and pain."

"Hatred and anger."

"Burnt flesh and bones..."

"Broken eyes..."

"Heero."

"Yes?"

"What are we going to do with this information? We're not even really sure if this data is what they wanted, and it's sensitive enough to discredit one of the most decorated and esteemed mobile suit pilots of all time."

Heero tilted his head back, resting against Duo's chest as he was the one still standing.

"If Marquise really used these missions for his students as a cover to gather data or any other material, assuming that none of the students would know what it really was about..."

"Who is he double-crossing, then?"

"The Academy and its principles."

"For what? To work for himself?"

"Who knows -- there are plenty of factions up and about, Duo. He could even ask around for the highest bidder. We're talking about data on mobile suits for crying out loud -- who knows what the price will be for exclusive information about the weaponry and armor of your opponent."

"Christ..."

"He's been replaced by Shinigami."

"I know everything's not fucking perfect at the Academy, but if rats have made their way this far up..."

"Hey hey, weren't you the one to tell me to be careful with flinging accusations around?" Heero said softly, his fingers hovering over the keyboard over the laptop. Duo moved his right arm over Heero's shoulder to point at the screen.

"Your contact list."

"What? You want to publish it?"

"No," Duo shook his head. "Remember what Quatre said? How adamant he was about us remaining in touch with each other -- that we had to leave at least one contact where we could be reached at, at all costs?"

"We could inform them," Heero mused. "Though I'm not sure why you believe him and his little speech about us being important for whatever the future might hold."

"You don't know what they stumbled upon in their mission," Duo said. "Notify them, Heero. Please."

"I couldn't deny you anything," Heero said and moved his fingers over the keyboard, clicking the keys. "I'll send them a copy of the data too."

"Thank you," Duo answered and wanted to straighten himself, if it weren't for Heero suddenly grabbing his right arm.

"We're not finished."

"What the...?" Duo tried to free himself, but Heero's grip was like steel; he couldn't get out of his grasp, no matter how much he wanted to... and did he really want to? Heero closed off his laptop after transferring the data, calm and composed as ever. Duo remained standing, arm over Heero's shoulder, watching his fingers resting against the dark fabric of his clothing.

"Heero..."

"Duo."

"What is it you want, Heero?" He couldn't keep the impatience out of his voice. His hope went up again in this very instant, hope he didn't want to cherish or treasure, hope he had... hoped to leave behind.

"I want you to be with me."

Duo grimaced ruefully. They were at the Lunar Base, having accomplished a mission, having realized that they were head over heels in something that was far greater than they could possibly imagine, at a small room that hardly deserved the name... and at this moment, Heero chose this moment to tell him that?

"I told you to forget it."

"I can't. I couldn't."

"You don't want this, Heero. I'm a liability, remember? An extra attachment. I go against everything you've made yourself believe in. Forget it."

"I don't want to forget it. I'm serious."

"I'm sure you are," Duo answered. "Whatever you do, you throw yourself at it with everything you have. Passionate, driven... and blind to everything around you. I like you, Heero. You're a good friend, a good mission partner, but I won't allow you to fuck with my mind. You kissed me back in the dressing room; you didn't want to talk about it later and never looked at me when you said 'I don't know'."

"That was wrong of me."

"You're still not looking at me."

Slowly, Heero turned around, not losing his grip on Duo's arm.

"Why is it so hard for you?"

"Why is it so easy for you?"

Heero lifted his head, searching for Duo's eyes. "I don't know, really. Believe me, Duo... I realize it sounds cheap, but I really don't know. I don't have the same open character as you, and I'd love to learn it from you. From the first evening that you sat beside me at dinner, when you winked at me, even though it was in jest... I simply knew that you... you were someone very special."

"Why thank you," Duo said, pleased when hearing the other's words. "I understand, Heero. I don't want you to be anything like me, I just want you to be you, because you're fine the way you are. I just don't... I don't want to be disappointed... or used for a fling. I'm not like that."

"I'm sorry," Heero answered. "I should've said something, after we kissed, should've said earlier that..."

"Tell me you love me."

He released his grip on Duo's arm, an indescribable feeling fluttering through his stomach when Duo leant with his arm on his shoulder, not moving, not pulling away from him. Heero moved his other hand up, trailing along Duo's braid, up to his face.

"I love you."

"Really?"

Heero couldn't help but smile at the incredulous tone of Duo's voice. "Yes, really. I don't turn everything into a joke. I'm very serious."

"I know," Duo answered, mimicking Heero's smile. He didn't need to keep up any mask, he didn't need to pretend to be anyone else, and he didn't need to pretend to draw strength from an entity he claimed to believe in. Heero was the first, the only one who saw him this pure, without any walls -- it was vulnerable, a liability even, but Duo wasn't the one to start a relationship based on riddles, on hiding, on being anyone but himself.

"Sit down, please..." Heero's voice was almost choked. His hand slid over Duo's cheek, touching the skin. He wasn't exactly sure of what Duo was thinking, but he wasn't pulling away from him, wasn't running away, didn't reject him...

"I didn't do it right," he softly said. "You're so far ahead of me, Duo. The way you move, they way you speak..."

"There is no 'right way', Heero," Duo answered, leaning into Heero's touch. His calloused fingers felt comfortable against his skin -- a rough touch, but gentle at the same time. "We still have so much to learn, so much to tell..." Solo. Professor G. A burning church and a solemn vow.

"You're right... much to learn, much to tell." Dr. J. Odin Lowe. A girl dying. A botched mission and violence.

"We go from here, right?"

Duo snickered a little, his smile even growing wider. "Yes Heero, we go from here. Even though it beats me why you chose the fucking Lunar Base of all places to declare your love to me."

"Hey, I can't help it that I'm a hopeless romantic."

"Now I've heard it all! Did you, Heero Yuy, just make a funny?"

Heero smiled a little sheepishly. He wouldn't win from Duo's wits, probably never -- but he didn't care. All that mattered to him was that Duo was sitting in front of him, their faces growing closer, growing a little more heated with every passing second. Duo did go against every one of his beliefs. His belief of everything and every one being a liability, but was it really worth it to keep believing in something that had been countered by a force like Duo Maxwell? What brought them together, would keep them together for a long time to come, and he didn't need Quatre Raberba Winner and his vague predictions to know that. Duo Maxwell was his, and as his fingers slipped into his neck to pull him closer, Heero parted his lips. War would break out soon, and this mission was more than probably the first of many to come. Uncertainty, risky... but that was the way of a soldier. One took risks, liabilities or not. He didn't want to retreat into that shell, not now, not after finding someone who managed to get him out of it, tearing down his walls with one look, one wink, and one word.

Leaning into him, Duo responded to the kiss, capturing Heero's lips. He couldn't care less if it was cold and that they only had a few hours before reporting for the supply run back to Earth. He didn't know what would await them on the Academy, and the world was undoubtedly at the brink of war. He probably would've never given one second of attention to anyone aloof and reclusive as Heero, if it weren't for the other catching his eye with his fierce eyes and his strong character. Duo didn't want to analyze what Heero made so different; he trusted his heart to know. For someone believing in the God of Death, he also believed in love and in care for one another. As long as Heero would show him one of his rare smiles, a beautiful smile, a smile he wanted to see many, many more times, he'd be okay. They both would be okay. For whatever the future may hold, for whatever war there was going to break out, in the coldness and emptiness of space, in a corridor on a Lunar Base, with life only visible at the horizon at one of the colony clusters, they were at peace this very moment, kissing and touching, sharing what they wanted to share. The rest would follow, one day. One moment. Later. Not now.



-------------------------


  Chapter 3