A Window to An Other World

-------------------


"Incredible. Amazing." Quatre Raberba Winner tried to pet Shinigami, and the dragoyle allowed him to. More so, it started to…purr when Quatre carefully scratched its neck, marveling at the stone-hard skin.

Heero refused to be jealous. He'd probably never understand Shinigami, but secretly he figured the dragoyle had great fun in ignoring him. Quatre tilted his head to one side, studying the creature.

"Amazing, truly amazing," he repeated. "I have to say, I never was interested in the supernatural - and I'm still not - but to see this… being, is really fascinating. And he turns into a dragon into that… otherworld, as you call it?"

"He does, or it does. We don't even know what Shinigami really is," Heero admitted. He pulled the blanket closer around him, reveling in its warmth as he reclined into the seat. The bedroom was as large as his and Duo's apartment combined; nothing was small at the Winner estate.

"Still, Duo gave him the name of the God of Death," Quatre said. He kept his voice at a whispering tone, and Heero had to strain his ears to hear him. Both men looked at the large bed; Duo was still asleep. Only a few strands of his chestnut hair were visible on his pillow; he liked to totally curl himself up in the blankets.

"He needs his rest."

"And you don't?"

Heero shook his head. "I'm in good condition."

"So you are." Quatre chuckled.

He was still amused at Relena Peacecraft's phone call in the middle of the night, when she told him that she had found Heero with three men on the bathroom floor, totally exhausted and unresponsive. One of the men was her own Mark, dazed and confused. She had recognized Duo, but she had never seen Wufei before. The CEO of Winner Industries wasn't disturbed in particular that it was the second time people in distress had called him. In fact, he was rather glad that he was the person they turned to - he could provide a helping hand with the utmost discretion. A knock on the door announced Trowa's arrival.

"Come in," Quatre said.

"Breakfast is ready," Trowa said, his face as neutral as ever.

"Mmm, breakfast," Duo mumbled under the mountain of blankets.

"I've heard of sleepwalking before," Quatre said dryly, "but sleepeating?"

"He can eat as soon as he's awake," Heero decided. "How's Chang?"

"Alive and kicking." Trowa closed the door behind him. The servants at the Winner estate hadn't bat an eye at the extra guests, no matter how haggard and exhausted they had looked upon their arrival.

Heero could barely remember how he had ended up in a bed. He couldn't even remember people undressing him and tucking him in, he was so exhausted and drained of all his energy that he couldn't care less. All that he recalled was the delicious, heavenly touch of soft, cool pillows and blankets, and he was gone in a few seconds. Finding Quatre Winner at his bed when he woke up had been quite the surprise… but a welcome surprise.

As Quatre's personal assistant, Trowa was above the regular staff and he had arranged for a discreet doctor to check them for injuries. He also had made arrangements for new clothes. Heero plucked at the collar of his Armani shirt. He was extremely glad to be rid of his previous garments. The stench and darkness of the otherworld clung to every fiber, and he didn't want to spend another second touching it. When he had gotten up this morning, he had taken a shower for at least forty minutes; only then he felt clean enough.

"I'll see you at breakfast then," Quatre said and was out of the room. Trowa turned around to follow him.

"Barton," Heero said.

"Yes?"

"I never really apologized," Heero said. "For… what was done to you. What we had to do to you."

"I still don't understand it completely," Trowa answered. "But from what I gathered, you saved my life, and for that, apologies aren't necessary."

"Do you know why you were targeted by that specific boss… demon?"

"I'm not sure I want to know." Trowa's posture stiffened.

"Don't worry." Heero got up from his comfortable chair. "I understand what you've been through. I'm an orphan as well."

He didn't elaborate, and Trowa didn't ask any further. With a terse nod, the assistant said "See you at breakfast" and left the room. Heero felt his stomach rumble once more. He really needed something to eat…

"Don't you leave without me."

"I didn't know you were awake."

"I need food," Duo yawned. He had turned around in the bed and blinked at Heero with bleary eyes. "What date is it?"

Heero named the date. "Five days. We were gone for five days. You have to explain to me how time works in the otherworld, Duo."

"That's funny, because I don't know really how it works myself. But then again, I never had to wonder, as I didn't have a worrying boyfriend around."

"It's over."

"No, it's not. My work's not done, Heero. Never. Even as we speak, the darkness will recover and regroup. There will always be dark entities. It's what balances the world, every world. Dark versus light, good versus evil."

Heero sat down on the bed. "Duo, what you said in the otherworld. About you being dead. How…?"

"I was supposed to die when the attack hit the church." Duo moved one arm above the blankets, and grabbed Heero's hand. He seemed relieved when Heero squeezed it, not letting go of him. "Sister Helen died immediately, and Solo was barely hanging on. I think… I think I had a chance of surviving, if paramedics would've arrived soon. Still, I'd be severely handicapped, not to mention traumatized. However, the paramedics didn't come… I don't know why, Heero. The church was on the outskirts of town. Never mind, it doesn't really matter… not anymore, it does. Now you know. I made a deal with the devil, or whatever it was. I survived, and in return, I became the Executioner."

"Sort of like a Davey Jones of the otherworld," Heero said. When he saw Duo's non-understanding face, he tried to explain: "You know, the sailor who had to offer transport to the people who died at sea?"

"Oh, I get it. Sorry, me brain not working very good…"

"You're exhausted. Why don't you go back to sleep?"

"I need something to eat. Really, I have to replenish my energy. Help me up?"

"Sure." Heero pulled the multiple blankets and sheets back so Duo could swing his legs over the edge of the bed. Yawning and stretching, Duo kicked his legs a few times.

"Man, I feel again like a truck ran over me. Twice."

"Here, put this on." Heero offered Duo a fluffy bathrobe, which he accepted gracefully.

"Relena has the nicest things, hasn't she?"

"We're not at the Peacecraft mansion," Heero said.

"We're not? Well, this isn't your apartment, or mine…where are we, then?"

"At Winner's estate."

"Wha-at?"

"I'll tell you all about it. First, get your bathrobe on, and we'll go down for breakfast."

"I don't see how Quatre got involved?" Duo asked as he slipped into the robe.

"Well, let's just say that Relena thought he was the one to call when she found four hot, sweaty men on the bathroom floor of one of her guestrooms."

"Oh yes, that…" Duo smiled sheepishly, then he frowned. "Four, you say? Then, Mark made it back okay?"

"I'm not sure how he's doing," Heero had to admit. "I'm not sure how Relena's doing. Winn.. Quatre was kind enough to take us all in and offer us breakfast."

"The man's as tough as nails, but still he provides pancakes." Duo shook his head, but kept smiling. "All right, let's get downstairs. I could eat for two days!"


Trowa hadn't held back when instructing the kitchen staff. If Duo could cook for an entire army, he had told the staff to cook for an entire nation worth; Heero's eyes went wide at the large table, set with chafing dishes, bowls, mugs and plates, while all that Duo said was a heartfelt "Yum!"

"Good morning, Maxwell, Yuy." Chang Wufei was already seated, a little pale-looking and with huge bags under his eyes.

"Morning, Wufei," Duo said as he flopped onto a chair. "Who ran you over?"

"I think it was the same truck that ran over you," Wufei said with a grimace. He'd been served tea and sipped the hot liquid. "Perfect Oolong tea," he said approvingly.

"Here's your coffee," Quatre said as he handed a steaming mug to Duo. "Exactly as you like it."

"You're too good for this world," Duo said as he took the mug from Quatre. "Ooh, whipped cream!"

"I'd say, let's eat first before we talk," Quatre said. He was happy to share his breakfast table. "Did you know I have a lot of sisters? Iria is a pediatrician, Katherine an architect…"

Heero listened to Quatre talking, sometimes interrupted or elaborated by Trowa, who perfectly knew when to break in. He didn't add much to the conversation as he was too busy with the waffles, pancakes, scrambled eggs, oatmeal and cornflakes. The kitchen staff had put so many dishes on the table that it was impossible to taste them all.

Duo and Wufei ate just as much as him, if not more; dish after dish was emptied, until all three of them, stuffed to the rim, reclined into the easy chairs. Quatre waited until the servants had cleared the table and put coffee, tea, and a large plate filled with scones, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, and other assorted treats in front of them.

"I didn't know you were American, Duo," Quatre said as he piled a few brownies on a smaller plate and shoved it into Duo's direction. "Please, have some."

"Chocolate is good for the soul," Duo sighed as he, with an enraptured look on his face, bit in a brownie.

"I'm sure you'll all like this." One of the butlers had brought Quatre a few newspapers, and he folded one open at the entertainment section. He turned it around and held it up high so everyone could see it.

"Playboy Khushrenada back on his feet again," Heero read out loud. "After two weeks of personal retreat, Treize Khushrenada is ready to pick up his career again. 'I had some personal reflection to do', the actor said, 'and I'm very excited to take a new direction in life'."

"Good," Wufei mumbled behind his cup of tea. "It looks like he is not affected by any corrosion of the soul. I do hope he has learned to throw his Ouija board out of the window."

"I'm not sure if I like this," Duo suddenly said. Heero looked at him, wondering what Duo didn't like about Khushrenada, but he saw that he was pointing at an article on the front page of the newspaper next to Quatre's left hand.

"Mark Wilkinson dropping out of election campaign," Duo said.

"Relena didn't know what to do when she found you all on the floor," Quatre explained. "Along with this charming little creature here." He pointed at Shinigami under the table, who burped loudly. "Everyone was all but unconscious and in obvious need of help. She figured it had to do with my case somehow, as Duo was involved and she knew from Heero that he had called for his expertise. So she called me - and as we weren't too sure of the discretion of Relena's staff, we thought it was for the better to bring you all over here. My staff is called the Manguanac Corp., and they have sworn absolute loyalty to me. Whatever is said here won't ever come out into public."

"We're very grateful for your hospitality," Duo said.

"You're welcome. I'm glad that everyone is safe and sound. I care for my business and my property, but I care more for the people involved. I was a little scared when I saw everyone on the floor, completely overcome with exhaustion. Trowa was quick enough to handle, and while he was occupying himself with you, I helped Relena with Mark." He heaved a sigh. "Mark regained consciousness before the doctor arrived, and he was… hysterical. He cried about the demons he'd seen, how everything had been dark and desperate, and how cold he'd felt… and he confessed that he had been taking bribes, that he was involved in a fraud to get elected. He was incredibly ashamed and begged us for forgiveness. The poor man:

even though he consciously committed a crime, he paid for it very, very dearly."

"Relena's going to divorce him?" Duo asked bluntly. "Suits him right, power-tripping asshole." Quatre wasn't shocked at Duo's outburst. Heero had told Quatre everything, about the trip to the otherworld, about Solo. He felt he owed it to Quatre. The man had, without any questions, been a good and reliable help. Quatre was probably thinking the same as he was: Duo was angrier at Mark's obvious weak spots where Demon-Solo had taken advantage of than at Mark's actions themselves.

"I'll leave that answer to Miss Peacecraft," Quatre said diplomatically. "I'm fairly sure, though, that Mark won't be returning to local politics anytime soon. The United Earth Alliance Party won't look kindly upon party members involved with fraud and bribes."

"And what about you?" Trowa asked. "Are you going to…return anytime soon?"

"I'm still the Executioner, yes, if that is what you mean." Duo sipped his second mug of sugary coffee. "The otherworld is my world. It's what I do and what I want to do."

"The danger is gone for now," Wufei added. "A demon as large as… the being that pretended to be Solo is a rare occurrence. But I have to agree with Maxwell: the otherworld is his world, but he cannot do it all by himself. I will also be there."

"I won't," Heero said when all eyes were directed at him. "I'm a lawyer, and I just got to be a partner. I'm not going to give that up just to hunt hell spawn and demons."

"I'm sure Relena will be very grateful to have you back at the office," Quatre nodded. "And if not, I'll be happy to offer you a position on my personal staff."

"Thank you," Heero said. He caught Duo's look before the other turned his head again. Maybe, for just a second, Duo had still been insecure about Heero, doubting his decision. The smile on his face told Heero that Duo was relieved; no more secrets, no more holding back, nothing more but a truly open and equal relationship.

"Well, as you're probably aware, it's a Thursday." Quatre put his teacup back on its saucer and stole a glance at his watch. "And unlike others," he showed a cheeky smile, "I have to work. Feel free to spend time at your leisure, gentlemen, and the staff's been instructed to take care of all your needs."

"Can I get another coffee?" Duo asked, eyes wide.

"You can get as much as you can," Quatre assured him, blatantly ignoring Wufei's groaning and Heero burying his head in his hands.


"I'm glad you wanted to come with me, Heero."

"Of course."

Duo was slightly smaller than him, and he nuzzled against Heero. "I should've done this fifteen years ago. It would've saved us a lot of trouble."

Heero kissed him on the top of his head, and ruffled the chestnut bangs a little. Because of the slight height difference, Duo fitted perfectly against him, and he could hold him easily like this. "You did nothing wrong, my love."

"I just couldn't let him die. You understand that, don't you?"

"Even if I didn't…" Heero kissed him once more, "I would never fault you for doing what you did. It was a horrible moment when you had to make that choice, Duo. You did the best you could."

"I'm sorry."

Heero didn't answer. He wasn't sure if Duo was apologizing to him or to the small headstone in the graveyard. It was only a stone with Solo Maxwell's name on it. There were no physical remains - none had ever been found. It was a marker, a physical place for Duo to commemorate his brother. It was close to a chestnut tree, with a wooden bench under it; a little bit in the shadows, but the sun could reach it nonetheless. The top of the stone was brightly lit, and the roses planted next to it waved gently in the breeze.

"You remember what you said to that demon, don't you?"

"Yes. Solo is alive, in my heart."

"And so he is. And so are we."

"You're right." Duo took in a deep breath and closed his eyes. Heero let him be, allowing him to take all the time he needed. Finally, after a few minutes, Duo opened his eyes again and smiled up at him.

"Thank you. For everything."

"No, thank you." Heero put his arms around him. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Another moment of silence. Duo's eyes were fixed on the modest headstone. It had been fifteen years since he had made that choice; with a deep, albeit wavery, sigh he apologized silently once more; only now he was finally able to move on himself. He tilted his head when Heero spoke.

"What next? We still have an entire weekend at the Winner Estate to spend. We can go for a swim in his indoor pool, or play some tennis, or watch a movie in his private theatre?"

"Do you think Quatre would like to host a pizza party?"

"Pizza party?"

"Yeah!" Duo smiled brightly and moved to turn around. Heero followed his movement. He looked over his shoulder once more, just in time to see a bird perching on the stone, a beautiful mockingbird.

"I think we should discuss more serious matters," he said.

"Like what?" Duo wrapped his arm around Heero's waist.

"Like putting my apartment up for sale," Heero continued. "And like me moving in with you."

"All right. Hey, can Wufei be one of the bridesmaids?"

"What?"

"Aw come on, I'd love to see him in a skirt!"

"And use Nataku to cut the wedding cake?"

"The chocolate wedding cake!"

"Duo! Is that your idea of serious matters?"

End

 

---------------------------------------


Chapter 13 |