A Window to An Other World

-------------------


The fancy restaurant was luxuriously furnished, and every item on the menu was in French, followed by an extravagant description of the dish. No hash browns, Heero mused, that was way too common for this haute cuisine. Quatre or Duo hadn't arrived yet.

Heero was looking forward to see the American again. In fact, he had been thinking about Duo more than anyone or anything else. A sudden hand on his shoulder startled him.

"Sorry, I should've seen that you were brooding." Duo looked at Heero's face. "You're healing up pretty nicely."

"I'm young, I recover quickly."

Duo nodded. "Still, it was a heck of a punch."

"I know. If I ever get my hands on the one who did it…"

"Remind me to never be at the receiving end of your wrath," Duo said. He sat down and stretched, flipping his braid over his shoulder. He was about to say something when Quatre arrived, accompanied by his business associate. This time, Heero kept a close eye on how Trowa and Duo responded to each other; apparently, Trowa wasn't very happy to see Duo, and the feeling was mutual.

"It's good to see you, Heero," Quatre said, ignoring the waiter hovering around him. "I see you're recovering well. Did your insurance give you any trouble?"

"It's just furniture," Heero said, "I was more upset at my book collection being destroyed."

The waiter was standing close enough to overhear and Quatre send him away after ordering the lunch specials, coffee and tea. Quatre lowered his voice as he addressed Heero again.

"Do you think it has anything to do with… you know, the case?"

"It could be," Duo answered. His eyes went to Trowa, then back to Quatre. "I didn't sense an entity in Khushrenada's bedroom when we found him, but spirits and demons can be cunning. Has anything weird happened lately, Mister Winner?"

"To me? No, not at all," Quatre said. He smiled brightly. "I must say, I've never slept better in my life. I used to be tired every day, but now I go to bed with a smile, and I sleep the sleep of innocents."

"Nothing from your personnel? Your staff?" Duo turned towards Trowa. "What about you, Mister Barton?"

"What about me?"

"Anything haunting you lately?" Duo elaborated.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Trowa went silent as the waiter returned with their lunch.

"Bad dreams, nightmares, something negative in particular," Duo continued mercilessly. Trowa picked up his fork, holding it as if he was about to stab Duo. "I can assure you, Mister Maxwell, I don't have bad dreams or nightmares, and there's nothing negative in my life." "That's just peachy." Duo had the good manners not to express his disappointment at the salad in front of him, and speared a shrimp with his fork.

No 'bad things' were mentioned during the lunch; more so, the mood turned amicably, and when everyone was done eating, tea and coffee was served. Nobody was surprised at Duo ladling sugar into his hot drink.

Quatre cradled a cup of tea to his chest and started the topic that everyone had painstakingly avoided. "Treize Khushrenada is in the best of care, physically," he said. "I have managed to get him into a private clinic where the tabloids won't be able to find him. He's still in a vegetative state, and without… well, you know… I'm not sure if he'll ever return to the land of the living."

"We've been searching for him," Duo said. "It's not easy and with every passing day, it gets harder and harder to find him. And even if we do find him, there's no telling in what state he'll be in."

"What state?" Heero asked.

"I told you that human energy…" Duo lowered his voice, "is often used by a demon to parasite on. Its energy is a great source for demon life, and its use is harmful to the soul... corrupts it, corrodes it. So when we return his soul, Khushrenada might very well not be the same man."

"That's awful." Heero shuddered.

"Did you manage to find something? Anything?"

"A lot of disturbance." Duo looked grim. "Something is brewing there, and I have the feeling a boss is at work." He briefly glared at Trowa, before continuing. "I expect to hear from Wufei any moment now. He went to talk to Master Long and hopefully he has some good news for us."


Heero unlocked the door of his car when Duo caught up to him. Quatre and Trowa had already left with the company car, after encouraging Duo to keep looking and Heero to continue his research. Heero turned around to look directly into Duo's eyes.

"What do you know of Trowa Barton?" Duo asked.

"I don't know anything about him at all. I tried to do some research on him, but either he's clean as a whistle or he… didn't come into existence until a few years prior."

"It's not Trowa Barton. I mean, he's not Trowa," Duo said. He looked a little annoyed. "I noticed something dark about him the first time I met him, at the charity ball."

"If I recall correctly, he wasn't very happy to meet you then, and he wasn't very happy to meet you now."

"Sharp eyes," Duo whistled. "Pretty eyes with a sharp sight."

"What do you mean with 'he's not Trowa'?" Heero asked quickly, to avoid spending too much thought on what Duo had just said.

"He's Trowa Barton, but his personality has been clouded. A dark entity is riding along with him, using his human energy, his soul."

"Just like Khushrenada?"

"Exactly. This is a boss, Heero. Trowa Barton is the boss of the qullu'an. I recognize that dark residue everywhere."

"You can't be serious…!"

"That's why he almost jumped out of his skin when he saw me. He knows who I am, and I know who he is."

"Then you are in danger," Heero said, taken aback.

"I can protect myself. If he wanted to do something to me, he could've done so already, ever since the event we met. I don't think I'm his target."

"You mean… Winner?"

"No, not Quatre," Duo said. "I think this boss is more interested in the people around Quatre. Imagine, Heero, the man's incredible social network, all his property, all his knowledge, all his influence. The only reason why this boss didn't attach itself to Quatre, is…"

"Is what?" Heero was morbidly fascinated.

"You wouldn't say it from a business man, but Quatre is innocent," Duo explained. "His heart is too pure, there's not a grain of evil inside of him. The boss couldn't attach itself to Quatre no matter how hard he tried, it's like trying to keep your balance on a microdot. His second choice was the person closest to Quatre: Trowa."

"Why could he attach himself to Barton?"

"I don't know." Duo shrugged, but the casual gesture belied the seriousness in his voice. "No one goes through life without hardships and periods of darkness or depression. Trowa has a few skeletons in his closet, or he's been through trials that left scars on his soul. We all have our trials in life, Heero - and maybe the boss grabbed him in one of his weaker moments. Dark spirits are extremely manipulative."

Heero hesitated. He wanted to get the hell out of here, yet he didn't want to leave Duo.

"Are you going home?" Duo asked.

"I'm staying with a friend at the moment. At Relena's. I haven't bothered to return to my apartment."

"If you want to, I can help you clean up," Duo said. "We call a few burly men to get rid of all the crap, we clean up and then go shopping for furniture." He winked at Heero.

"That might be," Heero said, thrown off guard and trying to hide behind the car door, "but first I'm going to get something real to eat. Baby lettuce isn't my idea of a lunch."

"Why don't you offer me a ride," Duo said. "To my apartment. I'll cook you some noodles."

"All right, get in, then. Don't you have a car?"

"I have one, but it doesn't always do what I want."

"Let me guess, it's possessed too?"

"Nah. I think it still thinks it's in the 1800's."


Shinigami had rolled up into a ball on the couch, snoring like a jackhammer. Heero ignored the creature, but he was sure the dragoyle had spotted him, though the only acknowledgement of that he got was just a lazy flicker of a red eye. He followed Duo into the cozy kitchen and watched as the other pulled pots and pans from everywhere, including boxes and bowls of food from the refrigerator.

"One more question," Heero said.

"Ask and ye shall be given the answer."

"Why do you keep calling that… whatever is possessing Barton a 'boss'? You told me before that there's some hierarchy and structure in the otherworld, but still…"

Duo waited to give an answer until he had rearranged the bowls on the kitchen counter top to his liking.

"There is no way that a spiritual entity weaker than a 'boss' could possess someone like Trowa Barton," he finally said. "It takes a strong entity to stay in this world without support of the otherworld and latch on a human being to boot. So that's why I call them a boss, and I'll keep calling them that until they introduce themselves to me. Bosses are entities sentient enough to name themselves."

Heero couldn't help but groan. "This is getting really personal," he said. "How much is left of Trowa Barton, and how much is the boss?"

"It's hard to say, exactly. Some people are consciously working together with a boss, to gain whatever they're set out on gaining. It can be something petty, like anger, or jealousy. In Trowa's case, I think he might be blackmailed, as in 'cooperate if you don't want Quatre Winner to get hurt', or something like that. I can't imagine him willingly submitting to a dark entity."

"We don't know him that well," Heero objected.

"True. But with some people, you just know. Like with you: I'm certain you wouldn't succumb to any dark entity, no matter how much they'd try to manipulate you."

"Last question before we start eating," Heero quickly moved away from that topic. "If there's a boss attached to Barton, how long is it going to take to affect his soul? You mentioned corrupting and corroding during lunch…"

"Ah, you paid more attention than I thought. I know this hasn't been going on for long; Trowa doesn't show any sign of long possession. He might be strong enough to last for years, depending on what kind of boss is sucking on him, but it'll leave its effect, sooner or later. And now I have a question for you."

"For me?" Heero noticed that Duo had stopped unpacking all the bowls and boxes from the fridge, and he hadn't turned on the stove yet. "What would you like to ask?"

"Why are you switching to another question or topic when I say something personal? When I say something about you?" Duo looked at him, his violet eyes open and trusting. Heero didn't blush, even though it felt like his face was on fire.

"I'm not used to personal things," he blurted out.

"I see. Such a pity." Duo tilted his head. "I've made you several compliments, and I've dropped a few hints. I know you know, and I know you've noticed them. So what's holding you back? That I'm a spirit hunter running around in demon worlds and strange stuff, instead of holding a respectable job?"

"No," Heero shook his head, "it's… Well, it's a little because of the job, because it's strange, yes, but… well… I…"

He forced himself to look at Duo, and the guilt hit him hard. Duo had been nothing but kind and generous to him, open and honest… and he was already acknowledging that someone interested in him was rejecting him because of the work he did.

It dawned to Heero that Duo had to be familiar with the situation. How many rejections had he received because of his involvement with the supernatural?

Heero felt like he had punched Duo. His own stupidity was driving the other away before their relationship even had the chance to bloom… and he didn't want to be without Duo anymore, not for another day in his life.

"I understand," Duo said and turned around, his hands moving to the pots and pans on the countertop. Heero stepped forward, wrapped his arms around Duo and pulled him towards him, immediately searching out bare skin to kiss him: on the neck.

Duo tilted his head, a wide smile spreading on his face. Heero turned him around and took advantage of his lips, pursed towards him, and kissed him like he never kissed before, his hands on the temples of Duo's head, pulling the other closer.

"Now that's the kind of answer I like to receive," Duo said, mumbling against Heero's lips.

"I'm sorry," Heero said. "You'll find I'm not good at personal stuff."

"I'll do the personal stuff," Duo nodded, "you can do my taxes, and we'll call it even."

They kissed again. A loud snort came from the living room, but they both ignored it.

"Isn't this a conflict of interest?" Duo asked softly. "I mean, this case, you and me…"

"I'm hired to investigate the paranormal activity on Winner's property," Heero said, "and any external resources are of no influence on the case."

"In that case…" Duo snickered. Another kiss, and this time they both jumped apart when a purple-red flurry of scales and wings wrestled itself in-between them. "Shini!"

The dragoyle perched itself on Duo's right shoulder and narrowed its red eyes at Heero.

"He hasn't had any meat yet," Duo said. "Why don't you make yourself comfortable, Heero, while I make something to eat?"

Heero death-glared at the dragoyle, who tilted his head just like Duo. If the creature could smirk, it had the most annoying, smuggest smirk Heero had ever seen in his lifetime.


Duo's chestnut braid was on Heero's bare chest, and he absent-mindedly played with the tuft, his fingers stroking the thick strands. Duo's head was on his chest, his body all snuggled up against his, a sheet covering him just barely. He had dozed off, his breathing was even, his chest heaving in a steady, healthy rhythm.

It gave Heero some time to think back on what they had just done. Well, instead of preparing lunch they had ended up in bed, after… ah, defiling the couch first. How had they ended up in the bed? Heero could only recall that it went from kissing to ass-grabbing, and then Duo had pushed him against the wall, ripping the buttons from his shirt, and Heero had pushed Duo in return, forcing him to step back as he ravaged his mouth, neck and throat, and while they dropped garments - ripped or not - here and there, somehow Duo had managed to pull him into the bedroom.

Heero moved his hand up, caressing a few wayward strands. Duo was beautiful, strong, proud, and had no issues with his body; he was confident, and he had complete trust in Heero, the way he had offered himself to him, allowing the other to take his body, both rolling together on the bed, kissing, hugging, fucking.

Heero looked to his right, at the alarm clock. He couldn't even get himself to care that it was almost dinnertime and his stomach was faintly grumbling. They had spent the entire afternoon in bed, enjoying and exploring each other's body, and it felt so good, like there was a connection between them, so deep and so profound… and he never wanted to break it.

What bliss, and he wasn't even thinking of work. He should check his smart phone though, maybe Harriet had tried to call him...

Duo shifted a little, making a happy, satisfied 'mmm' sound. Heero continued to toy with his hair.

"I didn't know you were awake."

"I don't want to be awake," Duo said. "I'm totally content lying here. I don't ever want to leave this bed."

"You have to, sometime," Heero teased him.

"Can't you carry me around?"

"If you ask me nicely…"

"Don't ruin the mood." Duo tilted his head and looked at Heero, a happy grin on his face. "I need very much TLC, as you'll notice."

"I think your manual is a pretty extended one. I don't require such intense maintenance."

"All you need is food and a fuck?"

"Language, Mister Maxwell…"

"Now you sound like the Sister."

"Sister?"

"Sister Helen. I was raised in a church."

"A church? You never told me that before."

"It doesn't matter."

It came out defensively, and Heero let it rest. His curiosity wasn't important enough to ruin this wonderful mood by pressing a topic that Duo didn't want to talk about. He was feeling energetic from the physical exercise, and the release had relieved a lot of his tension, subconsciously built up after everything that had happened. He felt perfectly at peace now, and he moved his arm around Duo, protectively. It was so peaceful, not even Shinigami had made itself heard.

"What are you thinking right now?" Duo's voice was soft.

"I'm thinking that I'm a pretty lucky guy," Heero said. "I'm thinking that I love you."

"That's nice to hear." Duo pressed his lips to Heero's bare chest. "I love you too."

"When did you know?"

"Immediately the first time I saw you." A wicked smile colored his face. "Yes, I believe in love at first sight. Even though it was more like 'lust at first sight'. I saw you, and I thought to myself 'hot damn, I never knew lawyers could look this good!'"

"That had to be when you cleansed Hilde Schbeiker's house," Heero recalled. "Back then? Already?"

"That's right. You didn't have any eyes for me though; you were too busy ogling your paperwork. I was impressed. You weren't intimidated by Quatre's army of lawyer-bullies."

"Well, you know, young and moronic," Heero said. "I'm glad I got to know Winner on a personal level, not as the businessman. He's a good guy."

"He has to surround himself with bodyguards and lawyers to make sure no one is abusing him," Duo sighed. "Quatre is a good guy, and I don't like it that a demon-boss is so close to him."

"Right." Heero turned his head to kiss Duo on his brow. "So even though I was as cruel as to not have any eyes for you, you had eyes for me?"

"Oh yes, but like I said, you were too busy. I know the subject of the supernatural isn't really popular. I did appreciate it that you weren't laughing in my face or mocking me."

"I guess that your… activities have stood between relationships?"

"You bet." A slight bitterness was audible in Duo's voice. "At first it's all exciting and new, and wow, dangerous and oooh and aaah - but soon enough it's 'bullshit' and 'you're really making things up, aren't you?' My work is important. I'm never going to get stuck in an office job."

"Glad to know," Heero said. "And when my secretary retires? Would you take her place?"

"You're kidding, right?" Duo grazed with his teeth across Heero's skin and he hissed. "Don't try to cage me, Heero Yuy, or you'll release a demon."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry."

"I know that my line of work isn't the easiest one, and I know that a lot of people don't believe it or think I'm a freak or attention whore. But it's important to me, and I wouldn't want to do something else."

"I know. Don't worry, I would never force you into giving up your work. I'll tell you, though, that I don't like it all that much. You're going out all on your own at night, dealing with entities that can be extremely dangerous."

"I do a lot of things during the day," Duo said. "Rituals, cleansing. But if I want or need to visit the otherworld, then I have to be there at night, yes." He waited for a moment. "I can take care of myself. And I always have Shinigami with me."

"Will you tell me his story one day?"

"I will. What do you say, should I make some din…"

A phone rang. Heero grunted. It wasn't his ring tone. Duo rolled out of bed, and Heero mourned the loss of his touch and warmth. He followed his example and grabbed himself a shirt to cover himself up. It was one of Duo's, a little tight around the chest and barely covering up his backside. Heero traipsed through the hallway, finding Duo next to a wooden side table with an old-fashioned rotary telephone.

"All right, see you soon," Duo said as he hung up. He saw Heero in his shirt and grinned cheekily.

"Who was that?"

"Wufei. He's coming over, and if I know him, and I do, he's going to be here in less than five minutes. I'd love to peel you out of my shirt and drive you crazy, but we have to get cleaned up and dressed."

"Why didn't you tell him to get lost?" Heero whined.

"Because he has news," Duo tapped on his nose, "and I'm sure you want to hear it as well."


The doorbell rang far too soon to Heero's liking, but they had managed to clean up and get dressed, with Duo wearing Heero's shirt and Heero wearing one of Duo's, still tight around the chest, but this one matched better with his slacks. Shinigami flew around, flapping its wings like crazy, making cackling sounds before seeking refuge in the kitchen, where Duo was about to get started on cooking.

"I'll get it," Heero said and opened the door to Wufei, who didn't look surprised at all to see him.

"Yuy," he merely acknowledged Heero and went directly to the kitchen. Duo had turned on the stove, and stirred in three pans simultaneously.

"Want some dinner too, Wufei?"

"Yes, please," he said as Shinigami flew towards him and perched on his left shoulder, as if it was the most normal thing in the world. Wufei even petted the creature! Heero frowned.

"How come it's much more comfortable around you?" he asked.

"Because I know how to deal with otherworldly creatures," Wufei said. "Or he just might hate your ass."

"Nice to know..."

"Now, don't fight, boys. Why don't you set the table? You know your way around!"

Both Heero and Wufei grumbled, but obediently, they got to work. Heero was amazed at how well Wufei knew his way around Duo's apartment; he knew where to get the dinnerware and the tablecloth, setting the table in less than five minutes with his usual efficiency.

Duo brought in his beef casserole with lots of potatoes and fresh vegetables, and a salad to go with it. He handed Heero and Wufei chopsticks, and used knife and fork himself. Shinigami went under the table, gobbling its daily portion of meat.

"So what's the news you've got for us?" Heero asked after the first bite, ignoring that he was referring to himself and Duo as 'us'. Wufei dabbed with a napkin at his lips.

"Master Long passed away," was all he said.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Heero offered his sympathies. Duo heaved a deep sigh.

"That's bad," he said, staring at his plate. "What's going to happen now?"

"He wants us to have his library," Wufei said. "A master collection of scrolls, inscriptions and books, comprising all his knowledge on the otherworld," he elaborated for Heero, "a treasure trove of knowledge on demons, gwynnfyrs, bosses and all those who use the darkness to manifest themselves."

"Amazing." Heero didn't know what else to say.

"It is a gift from the gods," Wufei said, but he didn't sound too happy. Heero understood that he preferred the Master to still be alive. "We will discuss the library later, Maxwell. Before he died, Master Long said something about the soul reapers."

"Soul reapers? There are more at work?"

"More than you or I like to think of." Wufei stabbed the casserole with his chopsticks. "The Master was sensing a cumulative increase of negative energy in the otherworld. He also sensed the increase of soul reapers."

"Did he sense a boss?"

"Several. He did not know who they were." Wufei frowned. "Something is brewing big time in the otherworld, and it was worrying him. I am afraid we are going to have a difficult fight on our hands, Maxwell."

"I think that Khushrenada's villa is the focus point of all of this," Duo said, folding his hands. He looked pensive and forgot to eat; his plate was still half full.

"We found the rift there," Wufei agreed. "Apparently, our efforts to patch it were not sufficient enough."

"I'm worried about how a boss could attach itself to Trowa Barton," Duo said. "It had to be around before we discovered the rift."

"It could have been summoned earlier by Khushrenada in his ignorance," Wufei snorted. "He dabbled in the 'dark arts', as he said so himself."

"Then the boss didn't deem him valuable or qualified enough to attach itself to."

"Instead, it chose another victim: Barton."

"But, if the boss was summoned by Khushrenada, ignorant or not, why would he send a soul reaper after him?" Heero tried to follow the conversation.

"To prevent him from talking or divulging something we aren't supposed to know."

"What are we going to do about this?"

"Either we grab Trowa and exorcise the boss out of his scrawny ass, or we spiritually bomb the Khushrenada villa and nuke them out of existence," Duo said grimly. Then he and Wufei looked at Heero's shocked face. "What?"

 

---------------------------------------


Chapter 5 | Chapter 7 |