Three's never a crowd



I'm married and I have a boyfriend. Yes, I know what you're thinking and no, I'm not some kind of oversexed guy who likes it both ways and can't pick a side. Don't give me that look; you were thinking it just the same, don't even bother to deny it. It's one of the 'friendliest' things I've been told, and since then I've decided to not mention the... construction of my love life ever again. I haven't been shouting it from the rooftops either, but I told some friends I thought I could trust. Unfortunately, rumors started to spread and I noticed people sniggering and pointing at me behind my back, the cowards. I wouldn't mind if someone were to come up to me and simply ask; I'd be happy to explain (not that I need to justify myself) or answer any questions.

You see, I've known Mazaki Anzu since I was a wee little boy. We ended up in the same class in High School, and she took care of me. I was extremely bullied at that time and yes, she took pity on me. I liked to bring games to school, because I had no one to hang out with and I was terribly afraid of my biggest bullies, Jounouchi Katsuya and Honda Hiroto. I crushed on Anzu so hard. She was (and still is) so beautiful and so strong. I was sure she didn't even think of me as a love interest, let alone as a man. I was just a kid and she liked to do stuff with me, like going to a water park, a museum... People took me for a preschooler, with my small statue and high-pitched voice. No, I certainly didn't feel happy at high school, in the shadow of the girl I liked and who would never think of me as a future husband.

I met Atem when I was... around fifteen, sixteen. I... didn't meet him under any normal circumstances, though. How do you explain a spirit of a former Pharaoh, trapped in a golden puzzle and who had lost his memories and every recollection of his own name, starting out as a vengeful entity whenever his aibou (that's me) was in danger? I seriously don't know how to explain the next two years, in which we had to fight our way through Duelist Kingdom, Battle City and a lot of other adventures to find his name and lost memories, in order to save the world from eternal darkness... and that's the short version. Did I mention it was all tied to a card game called Duel Monsters? Yeah, I know.

Never mind. In any case, as some kind of divine reward, Atem was granted his own body by the Gods to live out his life as a normal, human person. This was overwhelmingly awesome, as he had become a part of our group of friends and I had fallen head over heels for him. Yes, you read that right. The boy who crushed on a girl now went crazy for another guy. Big deal. It was a little awkward, however. You see, I always suspected Anzu to be in love with him too. She never said it out loud and she didn't fling herself into his arms as soon as he had his body. She smiled and celebrated along with us, happy that he got to stay.

I didn't ask Atem at that moment either. How do you bring up the subject "Eh, you know, I thought that Anzu loved you too" when you're on your stomach, legs spread, enjoying a hot and hard cock slamming into you? I saw stars and I'm sure that everyone overheard us. We didn't waste one second and we were so incredibly horny.

She left for New York as soon as we graduated from Domino High. Anzu was - and still is - passionate about dancing and she thought that attending a dance academy in the United States would bring her the career she was willing to work hard for. When she left, she looked at me with a strange expression in her eyes, one I couldn't describe or understand at that moment. I said goodbye to her, all choked up. I didn't want her to leave, the thought of her being separated from me for at least four years, was just killing. And what if she decided to stay indefinitely in the States? I'd barely see her again! Atem took my hand in his, very tightly, and pressed a kiss on my fingers. His lips trembled slightly; I realized much, much later that he had a hard time with Anzu's departure as well.

Bless the modern ways of communication in this era. We kept in touch through video chats, apps and email. Anzu told me about a couple of flings she had and I forcefully refrained from buying a plane ticket and fly to the United States, to slap those guys away from her. Yeah, I was terribly jealous of anyone, male or female, touching Anzu that way. I couldn't help it and my greatest fear became true when she told me that she wanted to stay in the States and see where her career would take her. Yes, she'd miss us all, but this was such an enormous opportunity! She was right of course and I wished her all the luck in the world... and after that particular video chat, I bawled like a baby in Atem's arms. He thought I was disappointed in her, but he quickly realized that there was something more. I told him about how much I cared for Anzu and that I wanted to hold her in my arms.

For an ancient Pharaoh, his reaction was very modern. He told me that he wanted to hold her too, preferably along with me, and make love to us the entire night long. I smiled through the tears streaming down my face and asked him why he didn't think the worst of he, being in a relationship with him and still wanting to be with someone else, from the opposite sex to boot? He merely shrugged. He shared my 'love is love' ideology, no matter the gender. I kissed him and we ended up on the floor for a celebratory fuck, not that we didn't need any particular reason to fuck. Ah, excuse my language... I sometimes get carried away.

Anyway, life continued. Two years after her decision, Anzu text-messaged me that she needed to talk to me urgently. She told me that she was coming back to Domino City! I almost screamed with joy. Not that I wanted to see her fail - besides, it wasn't failing, she held her head up high amidst the killing competition for over two years -, I just wanted her back in my life, the sooner the better.

We picked her up from the airport, welcoming her back. Everyone had come to greet her, happy to see her again. As she didn't have an apartment yet and she wasn't exactly ecstatic at the thought of moving in with her parents, I offered her my home to stay. Anzu was quite quick to accept, much to my joy. She went with us to our house, and... never left. She did look for an apartment but I proposed to her two months later.

I know what you're thinking: why the hell would a guy in a same-sex relationship propose to a girl? Well, I told you before that both Atem and I think 'love is love', regardless of gender, and we both loved Anzu. I proposed to her because I wanted to make it official and believe me, if it were possible, I had married Atem in the very same instant, but yeah... fucking legal issues and stupid government.

My heart was filled with exuberant joy when she accepted, but not after asking me what 'the deal' was with me and Atem. We sat down with the three of us, confessing our mutual love for each other over and over again. She was afraid that Atem might feel excluded and she wanted to be a bride and a wife to us both... we talked and talked, settling upon an official marriage between me and Anzu, and Atem being the third party in our relationship. He wasn't a real citizen anyway, unfortunately; he didn't even have a social security number. Anyway, Anzu loved the two of us and we loved her, so that was amazing. As long as we all consented to the way we set this up and were happy with the construction, nothing could stop us from loving each other the way we did.

We got married at a swanky hotel with an awesome buffet and we had a wonderful party, celebrating into the deep hours of the night. Atem was at the wedding too, of course. He kissed Anzu full on the lips to congratulate her. Some of the guests arched their eyebrows, not knowing the exact relationship between us and deeming it 'inappropriate'. I didn't care. I thought it was hot.

We went to Hokkaido for our honeymoon, just the two of us. I would've loved for Atem to be there, but he insisted that I should go with Anzu 'alone'. I was afraid that he was feeling like the fifth wheel after all. We had spoken long and hard about our arrangement, still, three is very different than 'just' two. It was much more complicated than I originally thought. We agreed to be open and honest at all times, to speak up about our emotions and feelings, and that we were equal. I couldn't stress that enough, as I expected Atem to take a backseat in the relationship, just to make me happy. He thought that I had 'first dibs' so to say, as I'd known Anzu longer and crushed on her before he even came into existence and into our lives. No matter what we said, we weren't able to change his mindset.

I decided to address this issue as soon as we returned from our honeymoon, but when we got back home, my mother suddenly told me that she was going to move out. She wanted to give us room to start our own family and she felt she'd be too much to share the household with. I was panicked; I had already lost my grandfather a couple of years ago, and now my mother was going to leave me? I understood her reasoning, but I didn't want her to leave. Neither did Anzu, who was totally fine with her mother-in-law being around. We didn't tell her about our... ah, arrangement, though. All these years, Atem had stayed at the guestroom in our house and was introduced as 'a good friend of the family'. My mother was never the brightest in that department and never caught us in the act, with Atem sneaking upstairs every night. As it was, we convinced her to stay and we decided to renovate the empty Game Shop and stockroom into a modest apartment with a living room, bedroom and a bathroom. I certainly didn't mind her sharing the kitchen with us; she was a much better cook.

Atem worked as an instructor at the Duel Academy, founded by Kaiba. He was very modest, calling himself an instructor while he actually was the second person in charge of the entire Academy, after Kaiba of course. I worked for the Japanese branch of Industrial Illusions, much to the very same Kaiba's frustration. He loved to have the both of us working for him, dominating the gaming market completely, but I felt better at home with I2 than KaibaCorp., no hard feelings. Anzu had contracts with several dance groups and ensembles, not only in Domino City but also in Hokkaido and even stretching to Tokyo. She was sometimes away for several days when dancing for a TV show, or for choreography for a movie or special performance, and sometimes she was at home for several weeks because she hadn't made the audition or she hadn't been selected by the group.

We had great fun in sending each other funny text messages and we talked a lot, about work, life and other things that mattered. We often shared dinner with my mother, so we dialed the honey-loving back by eleven at the kitchen table. For me and Atem, it had become second nature. My mother simply wouldn't understand. Let me get one thing clear, though. I married Anzu not out of pity and not by some way of substitute because I couldn't legally marry Atem. I truly loved her and wanted to share my life with her. I had wrestled all those years while she was in the United States with my feelings for two people, and it was only when I spoke up about it and heard Atem admit that he cared a great deal for her as well, that I thought we could make it work. I called myself a monster for loving two people, for not being 'normal' to settle just for one partner. How could I ever love two people that much and be okay with it? Wouldn't I shortchange the other partner, or play favorites?

After this many years, I can fully say 'no'. I can't tell you enough how good it feels. We're a smooth triangle, it works out so well. A lot of things are amazing, yet that doesn't mean everything is just peace and unicorns. Sometimes one of us has a bad day. Sometimes we react in a frustrated, jealous or even unkind way. Atem is stubborn and all deities help us when his sense of pride is at stake. Anzu can give you the silent treatment for days if she disagrees with something, and I... well, I usually am the mediator, but even I sometimes flip my shit. They might be my wife or the other half of my soul, if they act like kids, they'll get treated like kids. It doesn't happen very often, don't get me wrong. Most days, we're just a regular family. We have our work and obligations and a social life to upkeep.

Family, you say? Yes, you picked up on that rightfully so. We have two children: our daughter Mitsuyo of six and our son Shohei, of three. I'm the biological father of Mitsuyo and Atem is the biological father of Shohei. We made a very conscious decision to have children. We both wanted to become a father, but Anzu had the final decision in this. She cried when we asked her, not because we offended her or anything of that kind, but because she wanted to become a mother and give us children, as a sign of the love she was feeling for us. Needless to say, we were stunned that she agreed so lovingly and willingly and we asked her a hundred times if she was really okay with it. I mean, come on, it was already an unconventional relationship we had, and this was making it extra complicated, wasn't it?

Atem insisted that the first child should be mine, and I didn't bother to go against it. For some reason, just like with the honeymoon, he thought that I should be the first to enjoy the pleasures of fatherhood. I spoke to him about it; I didn't want him to feel left out or even worse, not as equal in our relationship. He assured me that it was not the case and I knew he spoke the truth; Atem is a bad liar anyway. He also promised me, once more, to speak up if he started feeling like this. Keeping a balance is quite difficult and I was somehow appointed as the one who kept the balance in check; I wholeheartedly accepted the job, worries included. Anzu was pregnant not soon after and I was ecstatic!

Don't believe for a second that the kids are treated differently. It's pretty striking though, that Shohei runs to Atem first if something happens, and Mitsuyo always comes to me. We haven't told the children yet, they're too young to understand. They call me 'otou-san' and refer to Atem affectionately as 'oniisan'. Anzu is 'kaa-san', of course. Both children are very much loved, just as we love each other, with every beat of our heart, with every part of our soul, our every being, our essence.

So, that's the story of how I ended up with a wife and a boyfriend. To the outside and most people, we're a happily married couple with kids, who also give board and room to an aging (grand-)mother and a good friend of the family. To our most intimate friends, we are what we are: a married couple with a third partner, who's simply seen and acknowledged as also married, all lumped together in the same marriage. Isn't it wonderful? I sometimes wonder if Atem feels bothered by the fact that his status isn't legally acknowledged, but when I ask him, he always denies it. He says that he wants to be with me, Anzu and the kids forever, and he doesn't give a hoot how anyone calls the relationship or if it's condoned by the government or a piece of paper.

...annnd you're still wondering how it's like in bed, aren't you? Pfffrt. I knew it! Well, if you really want to know, I've got nothing to complain about in that department and no, we don't hold orgies every night. We usually sleep with the three of us in the same bed, yes, because we like each other's proximity. Sometimes Atem sleeps in the guestroom, especially after he had a very tiring day with duels and exams. Sometimes Anzu spends the night in the guestroom and sometimes I do. Yes, sometimes we spend the night with just two: me and Atem, me and Anzu, Anzu and Atem. We call that 'special quality time', and that's not all about sex. We connect all on a different level and though physical intimacy is nice, mental intimacy is very important and good. Sometimes we just talk and simply kiss or hug. The kids know not to come in crashing into the guestroom and that has nothing to do with any sexual escapades either. Someone could be in that room simply because he or she doesn't feel well, or needs a break from the hectic events in life.

There you have it. A love triangle... well, I don't really like to describe it that way. A triangle feels like it's constricted somehow, suffocating, like everybody is in their own corner. It's nothing like that at all. We're very open and very loving towards each other, there's nothing secret in our relationship. We do a lot together, but if or when someone doesn't feel up to something, we don't badger or press the issue. We divide our parental, household and financial tasks like the responsible adults we are. We take care of my aging mother and the kids learn how to duel, how to dance, how to read and write Ancient Egyptian all at once. There's always someone at home to keep them company and help them with their homework. We're all healthy and happy.

I hope your curiosity is satisfied and I hope you understand why I don't tell everyone about my private life. It's not complicated to me, but it might be to someone else. To each their own, I always say, and love is love. So I have a wife and a boyfriend. The sexiest boyfriend on earth, no less. Like I said, big deal.

... and because you really wanted to know... yes, the sex is great. It's fucking hot to see your boyfriend fuck your wife and to watch her being overwhelmed with all those wonderful sensations, knowing that you're next to experience that delight. I'm never bored in the bedroom. The moment Atem looks at me that way with those dark-reddish eyes of his, and Anzu has bought herself one of those really expensive, but oh so delightful lingerie sets... oh man... I'm going to stop right here.



-------------------------------