The Answer you don't want to Hear


-----------------------


She looks wonderful in her wedding dress: a strapless white Vera Wang, showing off her slender shoulders and stressing the elegant curves of her body. Her chestnut hair is neatly pulled back into a bun, decorated with an exquisite composition of white flowers, mostly roses, accentuating her modest yet stylish hairdo. The roses in her hair match the beautiful bouquet in her gloveless, yet perfectly manicured hands, nails tinted with just a hint of pearl-white polish.

She choose for a western styled wedding, breaking with ancient Japanese traditions and the ones in her family. It's not to offend her friends or relatives, really it's not, but after her studies abroad, in the United States, her tastes had changed dramatically. It's not like she’s the only one who has changed. She still believes in modesty and grace, and that's why she's not wearing a long veil or an overpriced tiara, and that's why only her best friends and closest relatives are invited. She still believes in herself, and that her opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

She didn't make it to the third year. By then, the requirements had been so ridiculously high and demanding that she simply couldn't do it, not even with all the extra training in the world. The moment when she realized she had to let go of her childhood dream was a difficult and a painful one. She had envisioned herself into the spotlight, not somewhere in the background, anonymous in the choir of other dancers. Her body was giving out on her before she could realize her greatest wish, her greatest ambition. What she had wanted all her life, was out of her reach.

She returned to Domino City, Japan, like a thief in the night, but not in despair. She took a job at Burger World, allowing herself some time to mourn the loss of her dream, while still providing for herself. While she was reconsidering her future, she visited her old friends. Unsurprisingly, they had all changed as well; Jounouchi and Honda were in the middle of settling down with their respective wives and kids, Otogi had finally won over Shizuka's heart and was in charge of his chain of Black Crown game stores, Kaiba Mokuba had stepped up to become the hottest eligible bachelor since years, dating Rebecca Hopkins even though he denied every rumor of a relationship, and Mutou Yuugi... well, Mutou Yuugi was probably the only one who hadn't changed. He was the only one of their tight circle of friends who had stood still, as if he could return to high school with the Sennen Puzzle dangling from his neck all over again.

She accepted his proposal without hesitation. Both her heart and mind said yes; it was obvious Yuugi was a good choice. He had a respected and strong-going game store under his belt, and was paid exceedingly well for his input and ideas by Industrial Illusions, second only to Kaiba Corp. in the games industry. A steady future, financial independence and love was what he could offer, and she accepted it without a second thought. It wasn't that much of a choice after all; somewhere deep down, despite their separation for a little over two years, she had always known that they would end up together.

She looks into his eyes and smiles. The vows have been spoken, the rings have been exchanged, and the bouquet has been tossed. Jounouchi is at the buffet stuffing himself silly, while Honda and Otogi are engaged in a semi-serious business conversation. Shizuka keeps an eye on her brother, chatting to Rebecca at the same time. Next to her are the Kaiba brothers: Mokuba is dressed according to the latest fashion style, smiling and winking at everyone with a skirt, and why Kaiba Seto himself has bothered to show up at her wedding is a mystery to her, but she appreciates it nonetheless.

She sees the deep love in his eyes, a genuine, honest kind of love, promising loyalty to her and her only. It fills her with warmth and gratitude, and she continues to smile when people tell her how happy she must be, and how they make such a wonderful, sweet couple. They look so nice together, and what is more romantic than marrying your high school sweetheart?

She accepts the congratulations, the well-wishes and the gifts, and glances at the clock; it has been a long day. She maintains eye contact with her husband, who is easy to spot because of his conspicuous hairstyle. He's standing next to his best friend, Jounouchi, and his wife and kids. They're talking and laughing, just like the other guests. Her mother is sitting at one of the many tables, dabbing at her eyes; Yuugi's grandfather is clad in a tuxedo that looks amazingly dashing on him, and he's looking extremely proud. The music is classical and romantic; she hears it in the background, mostly drowned out by the excited voices and loud chattering of the guests.

She catches her husband's attention and he smiles at her. Unlike the guests, he's not drinking; both his hands are empty. His right hand rests against his chest, fingers a little clenched as if he's holding something that's not there. The golden earrings clipped to his ears and his eyes, not as wide and violet as they used to be, confuses her sometimes.

She knows it's not him. He left years ago and the gates closed behind him irrevocably, sending him back to where he belonged. He left his aibou, but he is still here, ghosting around him as if he never left after all. Physically, the only thing about her husband that has changed had to be his eyes; they lost a little of their huge, wide, characteristic shape, narrowing over the years. Not as narrow or as crimson red as the other him... he who once shared a body with her husband.

She returns the smile he's sending her, adding a flirty kiss to it. Some of the guests notice and softly chuckle; they're all enamored with the young, happy, newly-wed couple. The only tears shed are tears of happiness; her parents had been very content with her choice of husband. His family, his grandfather and his mother, are very happy to welcome her in their midst; one, happy family, only happiness and love and wonderful things, right? She's not so sure. He's the right choice for her, probably. Is she the right choice for him, maybe?

She doesn't doubt her love for him, and him, and doesn't doubt his love for her or him. A ghost from the past, joining them in the present. It's unmistakable, he's there, he's here, and he's not. She won't ever admit to her husband that she had felt love for him, but she won't tell her husband either that he was second choice. He wasn't - she's truly happy with him, knowing that he'll love her and care for her, as he has always done. She'll return the favor, and love him, and care for him, and maybe take his pain away.

She can't compete with the other half of his soul. She's not him. If he had a choice, would he have chosen to stay with his aibou? If he had a choice, would he have chosen to stay with his mou hitori no boku? If she had a choice, would she have chosen to stay with him?

She knows the answer and it hurts. Yet, she doesn't hesitate when he steps towards her, hand reaching for her. She accepts gracefully, squeezing firmly. It's time for the first dance, and the guests are starting to applaud and cheer them on. Waiters are walking around to refill the drinks, the music turns a little more upbeat, the girl who caught her bouquet is sniffling, and her friends, no, their friends, are forming a circle around them, smiling and taking pictures.

She's a good wife. She'll help him out in the game shop, and she'll stand by him just as he'll stand by her. She can give dance classes or ballet lessons, or take up any other career she wants to. She won't have to worry that her job at Burger World won't cover all the bills. Her parents are happy, he's happy, she's happy. She'll be a good wife. The pain will subside.

She knows it will.

---------------------