A step forward



"Cheese?"

"Cheese." Yuugi blinked. He stared at his own handwriting on the shopping list and he had definitely put 'cheese' on it. "Hmm... I don't know which kind..."

"Sakura cheese?"

"Atemu-kun..." Yuugi blushed, as he usually did when calling his Other Self by his true name in public. After everything they had been through, it was still weird to finally know the former Nameless Pharaoh's name, and to address him as such. However, at home Yuugi kept using 'mou hitori no boku' as he was used to and Atemu still called him 'aibou', wherever, whenever.

"Yes?"

"That's Gouda, that's much too expensive."

"All right." Atemu put the cheese back where he found it and picked out the Sakura cheese next. Yuugi scratched the back of his head. He'd made an impressive shopping list as he hadn't decided yet on which appetizer he was going to make for their New Year's party. His mother and his grandfather would celebrate with friends, leaving the house to Yuugi to host a New Year's party. Of course he had invited his own friends and class mates to come over and celebrate. He would take care of the appetizers, Jounouchi and Honda the main course and Anzu and Shizuka would make desserts. Otogi and Bakura would bring drinks along, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, and everyone else snacks, cakes, sweets or whatever they liked. It was going to be a big and great celebration and Yuugi was very much looking forward to it. There was still much to do, of course; grocery shopping was just one part.

"Something like this?" Atemu held up a fairly large chunk of Sakura cheese.

"Yes, put it in the cart." Yuugi crossed it off the shopping list.

"What is next?"

"I... I'm not sure."

Atemu looked at him, amused. "You are not sure?"

"I don't know if I want to combine the cheese with grapes or with ham!"

"Whatever you are going to make, I know it is going to taste wonderful, aibou."

Yuugi blushed some more. How did Atemu always know how to say the right thing? It felt so familiar to be in his presence now that he had his own body. After losing the Ceremonial Duel, Atemu didn't want to move on... he wanted to stay with Yuugi. It had been seven months, seven delicious months that he was in Yuugi's life, no longer a spirit tied to a mystical artifact, but a person, a real, living person. He had never been happier before, yet with his happiness came a bittersweet taste. Yuugi watched as Atemu studied the dairy next as he wanted to make a careful choice of yogurt. He couldn't get enough of watching him. How could anyone be so strong and so confident, and so handsome to boot? Just looking at him filled him with great pride. Atemu moved and acted like he had this body for years, as if he didn't need to adjust himself to life in an extremely different era and society. And there was that bittersweet feeling again. Yuugi didn't deny it for himself any longer: he was in love with Atemu. It was as simple as that. Being in love was wonderful, but Yuugi had no idea if Atemu reciprocated any of those feelings and he didn't want to impose on the other.

"Aibou?"

Yuugi was startled out of his trance. "Oh! I'm sorry, I was thinking about the appetizers."

"You were totally zonked out."

"'Zoned' out, mou hitori no boku."

"Zoned out," Atemu repeated. He had put yogurt in the cart and Yuugi couldn't help but smile.

"Let's continue shopping."

"Just a little more to the left... there!" Yuugi panted as he moved the heavy kitchen table into the living room. Atemu withdrew his hands and needed a small moment to catch his breath as well.

"So we put the food on here?"

"Yes," Yuugi said. "Everybody can take whatever he or she likes and they don't need to walk back and forth to the kitchen every time they want something to eat or drink. Self-service, you know, buffet style!"

"All right," Atemu nodded. He checked his watch, an old one from Yuugi's grandfather.

"Anzu will be here any moment now," Yuugi said. She was going to help out with the festive decorations: banners, garlands and balloons - a bit tacky or camp perhaps, but who cared, it was about having fun! "We're done with the living room for now. Why don't you take a break, mou hitori no boku?"

He knew that Atemu tired sooner than anyone else his age... assuming that he was over seventeen just like Yuugi, and not counting the three millennia he spend in the Sennen Puzzle. Perhaps it had to do with his body and the circumstances of how he obtained it, but it was a fact that he needed to take a break more often. Yuugi didn't mind to remind him; he didn't think of it as any kind of weakness.

"Only until Anzu arrives." Atemu yielded and sat down. Yuugi threw an afghan over his legs.

"Jounouchi-kun will be here soon as well. He'll help me in the kitchen."

"Very well."

"Mou hitori no boku..." Yuugi hesitated. Why was he such a coward? Why couldn't he say the things he wanted to say? He had faced Pegasus, Kaiba, Dartz and many more adversaries and challenges. The "I love you" didn't spill over his lips, he just couldn't say it.

"Aibou, something the matter?"

"No, you just rest," Yuugi said and tucked the afghan around his legs. A knock on the door. "That has to be Jounouchi-kun," he said. "You stay here, all right? If you need something, just give me a holler."


"Great idea, Yuugi," Jounouchi said. "To move the kitchen table to the living room, and you still got enough space for dancing left!" He held up a flash drive. "Mind if I use your laptop to play the music?"

"No problem, I was hoping you wanted to play DJ!" Yuugi closed the refrigerator. "Thank you for helping out."

"No problem," Jounouchi parroted. "I didn't want us to run out of food."

"You certainly brought a lot," Yuugi said. "Aren't you going a bit overboard?"

"Honda brings the rest," Jounouchi said with a devious grin. "Come on Yuugi, you should know my appetite by now!"

"True, true." He chuckled. "I better make more of these appetizers, then."

"Let me help! What can I do?"

"Can you divide the cheese in equal cubes?"

"Sure." Jounouchi took a knife and carefully cut the cheese. Yuugi had chosen for a cheese with apple appetizer, fresh and tasty, but as he wasn't sure if everyone would like it, he also made a cheese with ham variety. They prepared the food and arranged it on a platter, until Jounouchi broke the silence.

"I haven't seen the Pharaoh yet. Is he all right?"

"I think he has fallen asleep," Yuugi said. "We better let him rest."

"Yeah, you told me before that he needs a daily nap," Jounouchi joked.

"Jounouchi-kun!"

"Hey, but seriously," he lowered his voice. "How is it going? I mean, between you two? We thought you would've tied the knot if it were possible, you know... the way you're so close to each other."

"I know." Yuugi heaved a sigh. "I just... I don't know if he feels the same, Jounouchi-kun, and I'm afraid of ruining everything between us if I come out to him and tell him I love him... it's all been so new and weird for him, his body, his life..."

"It's been seven months, Yuugi. He's intelligent enough to pick up new traditions and technology."

"I don't want to rush him. I want to give him all the time he needs!"

"You can't wait until eternity," Jounouchi protested. "He's not a mind reader!"

"It's been overwhelming to him, especially this month," Yuugi said. "He doesn't understand the holidays. First Christmas, now New Year's..."

"Yuugi, stop making excuses. You're afraid, I understand. It's not easy."

Yuugi realized he was shredding the ham instead of cutting it, so he put his knife to the side. "You're right, Jounouchi-kun. I'm afraid. What I have now, is not a relationship, but a friendship, and I don't want to lose that. I don't want to scare him, I don't want him to chase away, should he not reciprocate. It would make for a very awkward situation."

Jounouchi nodded. "I agree, but not knowing makes for a very tense situation for you," he said. "You should give it a try. I can't imagine him saying 'no' to you, but if he does, I'll be here for you... even though you rather want a Pharaoh at your side than plain old Jounouchi Katsuya."

"Oh, you troublemaker you," Yuugi said. He was grateful for his friend's support. It wasn't easy, that was for sure. He decided to concentrate on the appetizers for now.


Anzu stood on tiptoe on the chair and reached for the ceiling to fasten the banner. Atemu held on to the chair, preparing himself to catch her should she fall.

"Really, Anzu," he said for the umpteenth time, "I should be the one standing on the chair."

"We've been over this," the girl gave back good-naturedly, "and I'm the one with the better balance, so don't worry. Here! I'm already done."

She moved to step back and Atemu supported her, even though she didn't really need any; she straightened herself and asked: "What's next?"

"These... ah, things," Atemu said, holding up the tinsel garlands.

"Let's hang them from the opposite corners," Anzu suggested. "They'll cross the banner that way."

"Very well." Atemu moved the chair into the other direction and he wanted to step on it, but Anzu held him back.

"No, I'll do it. Yuugi will never forgive me if you'd fall and break your arm."

He protested. "I will certainly not fall!" Then, he narrowed his eyes. "Did he ask you to do this?"

"Not at all. I'm doing this of my own volition, Pharaoh. Now, would you help a lady up?"

Atemu hesitated. Anzu tilted her head. "Something I said?"

"Does he... would he really not forgive you?" he asked.

Anzu heaved a mock-dramatic sigh. "Men!" she said. "Seriously! Why can't anyone of you see what's happening right under your noses?"

"Right under..."

"You can devise three different strategies for Duel Monsters at the same time and recite them in your sleep, but you can't figure out how to approach Yuugi, can you?"

"Anzu, really, this is unheard of..."

"Forgive my brash attitude, Pharaoh," Anzu said with a quip, without mocking him. She wouldn't dream of offending one of her best friends. "You're avoiding a relationship with Yuugi because you don't know what to do if he says 'no', right?"

She was awarded with a rare blush and she put her hand on his shoulder. "He loves you so much. You love him so much. What's keeping you?"

"I... Yes, I fear his answer," Atemu said. He hunched a little. "Rather, I fear his 'no'. When I faced him in the Ceremonial Duel, he was my opponent. Now that I am here, he is no longer my opponent, but my friend, the other half of my soul... what am I supposed to do?"

"We're very happy that you chose to stay with us," Anzu said. "We know who your main reason was to stay with us. Yuugi."

"Aibou," Atemu said.

Anzu didn't want to impose. "I'm really sorry if I came on too strong. We support you, no matter what you do or what you chose. I hate to see you in pain or in despair. Yuugi would never say 'no' to you, he adores you. You have to give it a try, or else you'll never know."

"I will," Atemu said, determinedly. He held up the garlands again and Anzu smiled. She climbed up on the seat.


"Man, this is the best New Year's party ever!" Honda exclaimed. Yuugi was glad he didn't have any direct neighbors; the music was quite loud and more people had turned up than he expected, adding to the chatter and the noise. He had the time of his life though, and the extra guests had brought food and drinks too, so nobody was missing out. Yuugi enjoyed every second of the party; everybody was having fun and time flew. It was close to midnight and Yuugi searched out Atemu, who was sitting in the corner next to Bakura Ryou.

"Bakura-kun," Yuugi greeted him, "I haven't spoken to you at all this evening!"

"It's all right, Yuugi-kun," Bakura reassured him. "It's crowded, and with so many people vying for your attention, I decided to keep your Pharaoh company."

Yuugi knew he was blushing, he could feel the heat on his cheeks and he tried his best to ignore it. "It's going to be midnight soon," he said. "Jounouchi-kun will uncork the champagne and we'll toast to the New Year!"

"Thank you for inviting me," Bakura said.

"But of course!" Yuugi had included him without question. "Up on your feet, gentlemen. It's almost time to raise the glass!" He held his hand out to Atemu, who accepted it. Yuugi squeezed a little before he let go again, but as he withdrew, Atemu clasped his hand again.

"Aibou..."

Yuugi was sure he had turned so red that he was going to pass out. They were holding hands, and looking at each other... and something in Atemu's voice made Yuugi believe that he was going to... ask him something...

"Guys, they're counting down already," Bakura interrupted them gently. "I'm sure you don't want to miss the moment."

"You're right," Yuugi said, but in fact, he couldn't care less about it if it meant he could hold Atemu's hand even longer. The former Pharaoh didn't speak though, and Yuugi gathered his courage. He couldn't wait any more, he had to know. He wanted to know. If he was denied, well, he had Jounouchi's shoulder to cry on. He just had to know.

"Mou hitori no boku..."

The crowd started to cheer. "10... 9... 8..."

"Aibou," Atemu said, "I..."

"7... 6... 5..."

"I wanted to ask you... ever since we returned from Egypt..."

"4... 3... 2..."

"I wanted to tell you that I..."

"...1... Happy New Year!" Everyone broke out in loud cheering and congratulating; the old year was gone, the new year had begun, filled with new chances, new opportunities, new beginnings. Yuugi's attention was momentarily distracted as his friends wanted to wish him a happy New Year and he was ecstatic to receive all the well wishes. A lot of the guests put on their jackets soon after, preparing to go outside for the hatsumode, the year's first visit to a shrine.

"Are you coming with us?" Anzu asked.

"You go ahead," Yuugi said. "We'll be there shortly."

"See you soon," the girl answered and left with Jounouchi and Honda among the other guests. The living room was deserted all of the sudden.

"Are they all going to that shrine?" Atemu asked.

"Yes, it's tradition," Yuugi answered. "People buy lucky charms for a fortunate new year and offer prayers at the shrine."

"Then we should go, too."

"You look awfully tired, mou hitori no boku. You usually don't stay up this long."

"Ah, yes, but this is a very special day," Atemu said.

"We can visit the shrine later," Yuugi said. "We have the entire day. I would rather watch the hatsu-hinode with you."

"What is that?"

"The new year's first sunrise." Yuugi smiled at him. "Why don't you get some sleep for a couple of hours, I'll wake you up when it's time."

"Will you not be sleeping?" Atemu asked.

"I'll wait for the others to return from the shrine," Yuugi said, "and start preparing the ozoni. That's what we eat on the first day of the new year."

"Very well. I will wait with you."

"No, mou hitori no boku. You..." Yuugi cut himself off. Who was he to tell the other what to do? No Pharaoh would stand for such coddling, wouldn't he? But they were still holding hands, and since when had Atemu taken a step forward? He was so close... which was actually a funny thought, because they had already been closer than anyone could ever be; sharing body, mind and soul. How much closer could you get? Still... he wasn't close enough for him... "You're beautiful," he blurted out.

"I was about to say the same thing," Atemu said, his lips curled into an amused smile. "I am so sorry I did not speak up sooner, aibou. I just could not bare the thought that you would say no..."

"I would never say no to you," Yuugi said breathlessly, "no matter what you ask."

"Then I would like to ask you to be with me," Atemu said. "I do not want to wait another seven months and not knowing what... how..." he was searching for words, "... when we can be together."

"Right now," Yuugi said and flung himself into Atemu's arms. "I've been waiting for so long! No, no, don't say you're sorry, I'm sorry too! I didn't dare to ask either, I was so afraid you'd say no, and I wouldn't know what to do if you did and-" he was cut off by Atemu who pressed his lips on his. He was babbling anyway, so he didn't mind; such relief, so much weight off of his shoulders, he felt like he was walking on air. He tightened his grip on Atemu, arms around him, pressing himself close. He shivered with delight when Atemu returned the gesture and wrapped his arms around him as well. It was so... welcoming, so warm.

"We both have been silly," he mumbled into the kiss. "We could've been kissing seven months ago." He immediately corrected himself. "You had so much on your mind, and having your own body still fatigues you..."

"We have to make up for lost time, then," Atemu deadpanned.

"And what better way to start the new year?" Yuugi kissed him again. He was so happy that everything had worked out! He couldn't get enough of the kissing, he couldn't get enough of Atemu so close to him, arms around his shoulders... but there was also such a thing as reality, and Yuugi broke up the kiss, smiling gently at his Pharaoh. "You're going to bed," he said, "and I'll wake you to watch the first sunrise together, all right?"

Atemu nodded. "Sounds good to me, aibou. Can we watch it from the window in your room?"

"I think we have the best view from there," Yuugi said. "I don't ever want you to sleep in that awfully small guest room again."

"Your family, aibou..."

"Kaa-san and jii-chan won't mind," Yuugi said. His mother had been surprisingly flexible when Yuugi had returned from Egypt with someone who looked very much like him and suddenly lived at home with the entire family. "Go upstairs. I'll make some ozoni and when I'm done, I'll come upstairs too, all right?"

A peck on his cheek, and Yuugi watched Atemu's retreating back. His heart all but sang. The bittersweet feeling was gone. One day earlier, he'd been still doubting himself and wondering what to do, and now things had changed so drastically, for the better. They both had needed a little push, but now that they had found the courage to speak up... and share a kiss... Yuugi heaved a sigh of relief, filled with love and affection. This year couldn't have started any better. They were going to take it from here, step by step, every day new, every day filled with love and attention, and he couldn't wait to get kissed a thousand times more.



----------------------------------