Till the End of Time


-----------------------


The Darkness is with me until the very end, I said. I was convinced the Darkness was at my side, yet I was defeated. I believed in the Darkness, and it betrayed me. Why? Why didn't Ra bring me victory? Why was I denied to plunge this world into eternal despair and destruction, why wasn't I allowed to unleash my hatred and anger?

Was it too soon, perhaps? That the world wasn't ready for Darkness? That I wasn't ready for it? No, I refuse to believe it. Something else happened. I lost Ra to Yuugi. The Pharaoh. Why did the Darkness gave victory to him?

It can't be. It just can't be. I was born from pure hatred and anger, brought upon centuries of suffering and pain, accumulated in the eldest son of the Tomb Keepers tribe. Who knows how long I lay dormant, waiting for my turn, for my change, to emerge? I forget a lot. I don't care for memories. But I do know and I do remember the moment I broke free for the first time.

Oh, such a pathetic sight he was. Such a small kid, wrapped in bandages, weeping and sobbing. Delicious blood soaked the linens, from the fresh scarring on his back. Cruel father dear, to engrave the Pharaoh's memories into his son's skin with nothing but a hot knife; so wonderfully cruel, so delightful crazy, so ironically madness. While poor little Malik was crying, I took pity on him, yes, I took pity on him because he was such a mess. He was so soft, so tender, so pliable and this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up on. Who I was? Well, I'm Malik too. Without the tears, without the cries, without the whimpers.

I'm the real one. Born from pain, grown up in hatred, living in darkness, now and then. Oh sister dear, how you tried to save him, how you tried to save me. You didn't know I was there, and I made sure you didn't see me. After you consoled your little brother, after you whispered into his ear that everything was going to be all right, I told him that there was only one person to blame, only one man who made his life a living hell.

Is this 'hell'? I don't even know where or what 'this' is. I defeated the one who claimed to be the Darkness himself, could this be the place where he went to, could this be his revenge? I don't know and I don't care. I don't even remember his name or his face. I don't think I'm supposed to be aware of myself anymore, after the Pharaoh banished me to whatever 'this' is.

...but I might not be the Darkness, I am the darkness in one's heart, built on anger, hatred and pain. I'll always be here, there, around, everywhere. One victory doesn't mean the entire battle has been won. More Maliks are at my disposal; young, weak-hearted and suffering children, open and eager to receive my words. I'll whisper in their ears, I'll scream in their minds how unfair life is, how one must toil and suffer, and how there's always someone to blame.

I don't hold grudges. I don't care for revenge. All I want is that singing sensation of hatred filling one's heart, of pain filling one's soul. Delicious pain, stirring and aching, trembling and shivering. How wonderful it is, to see compassion and hope disappear from one's eyes, and to see it replaced with the cold, harsh reality. No one cares. No one loves you. Love is futile. Anger is always there, hatred is always comforting, pain is always welcome.

You think yourself saved from the Darkness because of your vessel, Pharaoh. But you're sorely mistaken. I saw it in your eyes. Your hatred. Your unadulterated anger. You were willing to sacrifice the one who sacrificed his entire life for you, to save your 'light'. I heard your plea, that you would save him and send me back where I came from. You're truly a man of your word, I'll give you that. But you're not innocent. You're not righteous. You're a murderer, just like me. Maybe I shouldn't have put both our 'others' on the line as a sacrifice, just to test you how far you'd go without your partner holding you back, encouraging you to save my weakling better half. Maybe, if you thought you and your vessel were safe, you would've gone all out, destroying the one servant whose tribe blindly followed you for centuries, until there was nothing left of him.

Not even one scrap of hope.

One day the Darkness will rule over you, Pharaoh.

Until that moment, I'll be waiting right here.



------------------------------