The Past of the Present Future

----------------------


It started to dawn him that he wasn’t in his bedroom. He’d simply assumed he was at home; they hadn’t been that far en route to school. The colors around him were warm yellow and sandy brown, very much unlike the sky blue and light gray of his bedroom. When he – carefully – turned his head, he saw a wooden dresser, the golden knobs crafted to resemble certain animal heads. A small, embroidered piece of linen covered the dresser, protecting the wood from the porcelain water bowl on top of it. Anzu dipped the cloth into the bowl, squeezed it and put it back on his forehead again. 

“Where are we…?” 

A door opened as if to answer him, and Anzu startled, standing up from her chair and clasping her hands together, almost like a kid caught with her fingers in the cookie jar. A girl, slightly taller than Anzu, walked over to him, a warm smile tugging at her lips. 

“How are you feeling, Prince?” 

“Pr…Prince?” The confusion on his face spoke volumes, and his eyes went even wider when he saw the girl approach. Now that he saw her up close and personal despite his fuzzy vision, he blurted out: “Black Magician Girl?” 

Her smile grew wider, her eyes mirroring the warmth, her friendly face open and honest. Her large, round eyes took him in, examining him, and she shook her head briefly.  

“You are the Prince, not the Pharaoh,” she said and her voice sounded…dejected. Chestnut hair in wild bangs framed her face, her traits exactly as he remembered it from the card in question – which was absurd. No one could resemble a fictional person from a card game this well. 

Yuugi stared at her, noticing how she was dressed in a robe, almost majestically, that flowed around her body, loosely tied at the waist with an embroidered sash. The long sleeves hid her hands from view, just as the formless robe hid the outline of her body; the mass of fabric rustled around her as she sat down, reaching forward to take the damp cloth from his head. 

“I apologize,” she said. “It wasn’t my…our intention to meet you so soon. We were only wandering around…when we saw what was about to happen to you. Forgive us for acting so rash, Prince. We were only trying to do our best.” 

“I don’t understand a word,” Yuugi said, throwing a questioning look at Anzu, who wore the same baffled, confused expression. “I just want to go home, I don’t understand…” 

“Everything happened so fast,” the girl continued, ignoring his words. “My master wasn’t able to prevent you from hitting your head, but he did get you out of the way before any…more damage could’ve happened. You’ll meet my Master as soon as you have rested.” 

Yuugi frowned. Master? What was the girl talking about, and what was this “Prince” and “Pharaoh” thing? Shouldn’t he be in a hospital instead of with strangers? Out of habit, his hand went to his chest, fumbling around for… 

“Your Puzzle is close to you,” the girl said, eyes flickering over to the right. “Don’t worry, we won’t take it from you. If anything, we’re protecting you from losing it. You’ll need it, Mutou Yuugi. Prince.” 

“Why do you keep calling me that?” This was getting stranger by the second – if his head wasn’t pounding so much, he would’ve stood up and made himself scarce.  

“Because you are the Prince,” she answered, rising up from the bed, mattress squeaking. “There’s time to discuss this later. For now, you need to rest.” 

Anzu rushed immediately to Yuugi’s side again as soon as the other girl had left the room, closing the door silently behind her. 

“Who are those people? Why are we here?” He looked up at her, hoping that she would know the answers. 

Anzu gave him a confident smile, masking her own insecurity. “She told me to call her Mana, but she didn’t tell me how to call the man…the one that saved you. He was incredibly fast getting you out of the way of that oncoming car, but I’ll be eternally grateful for his quick action. She refers to him as ‘Master’, and he said ‘Apprentice’ to her once. He hasn’t spoken much but insisted taking you here, telling me that the ‘Pharaoh needed care and rest’. He said that they were the only ones able to give him that…” 

“I’m not a Pharaoh,” Yuugi protested. 

“I think they realize that by now as well,” Anzu couldn’t help but remark dryly, then she adjusted the damp cloth on his brow again. “If they would do us any harm, they would’ve done so already, Yuugi. I don’t know about you, but I feel strangely safe here…as if nothing can harm us.” 

Yuugi nodded, drawing comfort from her gentle touch, and sharing her sentiments. It did feel safe here, comfortable and warm, with no need for panic or fear at all. This strange woman, and her even stranger ‘Master’, hadn’t touched the Puzzle or tried to keep it away from him. From this angle, he could see it sitting on a stool, the heavy chain curled up around it.  

Anzu threw him a quizzical look. “Why did you say ‘Black Magician Girl’ to her?” 

It took him a few seconds to answer. “Because she looks like her?” 

“Yuugi, I don’t spend that much time looking at Duel Monsters cards. Not everyone can dream the game like you do.” 

He smiled a little sheepishly. “She looks the same but for the color of her hair… the way it falls, the way she looks, her eyes…” 

Anzu poked him gently. “I think you’re more than just obsessed with the game, Yuugi. Duel Monsters don’t come to life but during duels, and only thanks to the technology Pegasus used.” 

“Yeah,” Yuugi mumbled. Duelist Kingdom ended only a few weeks ago, though it felt like merely yesterday to him. The gaming tournament had made him more aware of his Other, the spirit of the Sennen Puzzle, or his ‘other self’ as he used to refer to him. Together they had won the tournament and freed their grandfather’s soul; a feat they couldn’t have accomplished without the help of their friends. 

If it weren’t for the high stakes of the game, Yuugi would’ve enjoyed the thrill of the duels, the holographic technology Pegasus had used to bring the Duel Monsters to life, the excitement of winning or losing…but in the end, Duelist Kingdom had taught him that evil forces were at work, unfriendly people who were after his Puzzle or his life, and wouldn’t stop for anything. 

“You better rest,” Anzu said. “I’ll go see if I can call our parents, all right?”  

Yuugi nodded, his eyes already sliding close. He was feeling a lot more at ease now that he knew where his Puzzle was, and she scowled a little. She didn’t quite always understand the bond between Yuugi and the Puzzle, but she knew about who was residing in the object. Yuugi’s Other. Straightening herself, she waited until his breathing steadied before turning around to leave the room. 

As the man had carried Yuugi to their dwelling, Mana had carried Anzu’s book bag, and she had been too busy fidgeting over the semi-conscious Yuugi to pay attention to it. She didn’t know where it was, and it held her cell phone - she needed it to call the others, who would probably be worried sick; it wasn’t like them to miss school. 

There was no one in the hallway, and delicious food scents wafted towards Anzu – was it already lunch time? She had lost sense of time ever since the accident; she hadn’t even taken a look at her watch, constantly guarding Yuugi. 

Who are these people? She was curious, yet careful. They had both been very adamant in taking Yuugi to their dwelling, insisting that they were the only ones being able to give him the right care and treatment – and Anzu had no choice but to follow them…not that they stopped her from doing so. 

“Lunch will be ready soon,” a female voice piped up behind her and Anzu almost screamed, turning around swiftly, head snapping. 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t meant to scare you,” the girl said and smiled at her. It was such a friendly and warm smile that Anzu was compelled to return the gesture, though hers was a little wary. 

“My name is Mazaki Anzu,” she introduced herself. 

“Mana,” the other answered, and left it at that. “It’s an honor to meet you, Mazaki Anzu.” 

“I thank you for your care,” Anzu decided to opt for the polite approach. “We really need to go home…our parents will be upset if we’re late.” 

“I understand, but the Prince needs to recover, and we will not let him go before we know for certain he’s feeling well again.” She didn’t say it in any threatening way – she was looking so open and honest to Anzu that the other girl understood it was genuine concern and care, not any malicious intent. 

“Why do you keep calling him ‘Prince’?” Anzu couldn’t keep herself from asking, curiosity burning. Mana’s face turned a little sad, and she was silent for a moment. Suddenly she moved her hand up, pointing to the open door leading to the living room. Anzu nodded in agreement and went ahead, stepping over the threshold and entering the large room, bearing the same colors as the bedroom - sandy brown, warm yellow and light orange. Her eyes immediately fell upon the man sitting in the corner, wearing similar robes as Mana. His were a dark bluish purple, and just as formless and covering the outlines of his body. He looked up the moment she entered the room, and she blushed a little. His gaze was scrutinizing, dark brown eyes with golden flecks piercing through her as if she was x-rayed. His chestnut hair was tied back in a loose ponytail and he was wearing something around his neck, obscured by the large folds of his robe. It looked like a golden collar to Anzu, but she didn’t inquire - it would be way too impolite, and she was more curious about them than their accessories. 

“Apprentice?” His voice was low and curt, but not unfriendly. 

“Master,” Mana answered, “Mazaki Anzu has the right to know.” 

“To know what?” she asked meekly. 

“The answer to your question,” Mana said matter-of-factly and smiled. 

Anzu blushed deeper, feeling extremely silly.  

“We are sorry to have caused this much confusion and grief,” the man said, though his intonation barely indicated any apology. “We will leave soon, as not to…” 

“Master!” Mana interrupted him. “We can’t leave, not now!” 

For a moment, Anzu thought that he was going to yell at Mana as he narrowed his eyes, a disapproving look on his face for being interrupted. 

“If we cannot find our Pharaoh, we have no business staying here.” 

“We’ve come so far, Master,” the girl pleaded. “We have found the Prince! He has the Puzzle – he must know where the Pharaoh is!”  

He remained silent, hands resting on the book in his lap. He’d been writing; next to his armchair was a small, low table with old-fashioned writing utensils. Anzu could make out a pot of ink and the small pieces of a material she couldn’t identify to write with; hadn’t these people heard of laptops?  

“It is our duty and responsibility to research each world for the presence of our Pharaoh,” he finally said. “If we cannot find him, the world is doomed and we have no business staying here.” 

“We found the Prince,” Mana objected stubbornly. “Master, we have to be careful in our research. We can’t condemn a world to a certain fate if we haven’t studied the circumstances and facts profoundly.” 

A very small smile showed at the man’s lips. “Very well, Apprentice. I am glad that you have paid attention after all.” 

Anzu still felt silly, having no clue where the two were talking about. She could feel the mutual respect between them, a bond that was so strong it was almost tangible. These two had been through a lot, she was certain of it; but they hadn’t given up, forging the strength of their bond with every experience. It was still difficult to grasp what was going on, and it astounded her why they referred to each other with ‘Master’ and ‘Apprentice’…her mind went back to what Yuugi had said. She had thought it was because of his concussion that he thought he saw the Black Magician Girl instead of Mana, but…Of course. Where the apprentice is, is the teacher…the Master.  

“You’re the Black Magician,” she stuttered. This wasn’t possible – this couldn’t be possible. People didn’t resemble fictional Duel Monsters, it was just a card game. As the man turned his head more towards her, as his attention had been focused on Mana, she was, however, very sure - the same stern look, the wisdom etched in his features, the intensity of his eyes.  

“My name is Mahaado, Mazaki Anzu,” he said. “I do not know this ‘Black Magician’ you are speaking of.” 

“Who are you…?” She was squeaking. 

“We have introduced ourselves. That will suffice.” He closed the book, indicating that the conversation was over. 

“Master,” Mana said, “they have a right to know. We have found the Prince, he has won the Duelist Kingdom tournament, and he’s wearing the Puzzle. We know Mazaki Anzu from other worlds…this world still seems intact.” 

“What other worlds?” Anzu asked, her mind racing about the possibilities. Mahaado stood up, setting the book aside, next to his writing utensils. He was quite tall, but not as tall as Kaiba - Anzu wondered why she briefly thought about the CEO. 

“If the timeline here is not broken, we still have a chance to make things right,” he nodded. “You are right so far, Apprentice. If we truly have found the right world, we can work from here to tie everything together.” 

Mana’s smile had become dazzling, and she clasped her hands together in excitement.  

“Really, Master? Have we finally found the right world?” 

“It looks like it, if our Pharaoh is present here,” Mahaado said. “We have to ask the Prince.” 

“Will we finally see him again? That would be incredible!” Mana sighed as if she was swooning over this Pharaoh, and Anzu was seriously thinking she was dealing with very mentally unstable people, no matter how friendly they were. 

Mahaado’s face was perfectly neutral, though Anzu saw something smoldering in his eyes. A certain hunger, a desire…this man was very dedicated, but she wasn’t sure to who or what. To this Pharaoh? But they kept referring to Yuugi as ‘Prince’…that might mean… 

“Are you talking about Yuugi’s Other? The spirit of the Sennen Puzzle?” Naming him like this felt strange to her, as she barely spoke to anyone about it, even between her and Yuugi. They hardly discussed it; all that Yuugi had told her was that the spirit had lost every memory he had, not even knowing his own name. He had helped Yuugi to get through Duelist Kingdom, and she could distinguish between the two of them if only for his voice…his confident, deep voice. 

“Other?” Mahaado turned towards her, gazing at her again. “The Prince knows…he has another personality?” 

“We simply call him the Other Yuugi,” Anzu said, a little meekly. “We don’t know much about him…he doesn’t even know much about himself. He has lost his memory…” 

“Gods protect us,” Mana said and laced her fingers together, lifting up her hands as if in prayer. “They have shown us finally the right path…” 

“Such pain.” Mahaado heaved a sigh. “He does not know, and I am not allowed to tell him.” 

“Master…” 

“Apprentice. We have to ask the Gods for their blessings and strength, for we have finally found the right world. It cannot be any different. We have work to do.” 

Mana looked upset, her lips quivering and grimacing, while her eyes were shining with hope and fear at the same time. Finally, her face was set in determination, and she turned around to leave the room. 

“Wait…!” Anzu cried. “What’s happening? You were going to give me answers!” 

“They will be given,” Mahaado curtly answered and was about to follow Mana, when he suddenly halted. Anzu was about to ask again, when she suddenly noticed the same: Yuugi was standing in the door opening, a confused expression on his face. She closed the distance between them, standing next to his side as he held on the doorpost for support. 

“Prince,” Mahaado said and bowed his head, robes flowing around him. Mana made the same bow, her hands still clasped. 

“I’m just Yuugi,” Yuugi said, “and I’d like to know what’s going on.” 

“You need to rest,” the girl said. “My healing took your scrapes and bruises away, but not the pain in your head. You need to replenish your energy.” 

As if on cue, Yuugi’s stomach growled embarrassingly, and his face flushed. They were used to lunch at school, and he didn’t have anything to eat in his backpack. He’d completely forgotten about food, being in this strange environment, with these strange people who resembled the Black Magician Girl and…he didn’t want to think of it. It wasn’t possible anyway. 

Mana suddenly laughed, a pleasant sound. “I think we need to feed our Prince before we can talk any further,” she cheerfully said. “Why don’t you take place around the table? I’ll be serving you soon!” 

She left the room, laughing softly. Mahaado looked slightly embarrassed, and he quickly made a movement with his hand, showing Yuugi and Anzu out of the room. 

“If our Prince would follow me…?” 

The dining room was small, and the only light available was from a rather old-fashioned chandelier. Anzu liked the atmosphere; the heavy wooden furniture blended well with the soft yellow colors, and it struck her that none of the colors were outspokenly bright. It fit them somehow; maybe they would reveal later how they acquired all this.  

Mana came into the room carrying a huge bowl. She took off the lid and picked up a large spoon to stir through the food. It was bamya, a meat and okra stew with a very distinguished scent. Before tasting it, Anzu could tell there were lots of spices, garlic prominently, in the dish; curiously, she watched how Mana served Yuugi first, then Mahaado, then her and finally she took care of her own plate. There were small side dishes of pita bread and lemon wedges, and Anzu was thankful for the large pitcher of water in the middle of the table.  

“Eat,” Mahaado said and everybody picked up their utensils - and waited for Yuugi to start. He noticed the eyes resting on him, and with a faint blush, Yuugi put his spoon into the stew to taste a little. 

“I hope you like it, Prince,” Mana said, beaming at him. He returned the smile, taking a sip of the water. 

“It’s quite different than what I’m used to,” he said politely. Mana nodded, enthusiastically eating.  

“I like the fish here,” she said, “especially rolled up in the rice! It’s sticky, but very tasty!” 

“Oh, you mean sushi?” Anzu asked, barely refraining from coughing. The hot spices burned her throat and almost brought tears to her eyes.  

“Sushi, yes! There are so many varieties, and they’re all so nice!” Amusedly, Mana took a slice of the pita bread and nibbled on it. “The ones with the egg in it are…” 

“Apprentice,” Mahaado said and she immediately went silent, though she didn’t seem bothered by him cutting her off. 

---------------------------------------


Chapter 3 | Chapter 5