The Past of the Present Future

----------------------


The food was good, a little too spicy for Yuugi and Anzu, but it didn’t satisfy their curiosity. Mahaado didn’t seem to be willing to talk about anything during the meal, so it went by in relative silence. Mana passed the carafe of water, refilling when it was necessary - the twinkle in her eyes betrayed her amusement - and served tea and thick biscuits after she cleared the plates. Anzu wanted to help but Mana protested, saying that it wasn’t necessary. Yuugi wasn’t used to have tea directly after lunch, but he accepted the hot cup and inhaled the scent. 

“You speak Japanese very well,” he complimented as Mana straigtened herself and walked over to Mahaado to give him his cup. She looked over her shoulder, smiling brilliantly. It was obvious they weren’t from here – their dark skin, their eyes, the strange markings below it.  

“Thank you, Prince!” She said. “We didn’t need to learn the language, though! We pick up every language very easily. It’s just like our clothes; we can make them look like anything we want so we don’t stand out, even though the real clothes don’t change…” 

“Apprentice,” Mahaado interrupted her again. She looked a little annoyed this time, but bit her lip and remained silent. He wrapped his fingers around the cup and looked at Yuugi.  

“Prince, I once again offer you my apologies,” he said, taking a sip. “We acted a little rash, but we could not take the risk of you being hit by that machine.” 

“The car, yes,” Yuugi said. “I have to thank you for saving me…” 

“You do not need to thank me,” Mahaado said and his eyes went to the Puzzle, dangling from Yuugi’s neck. “It is my honor and my duty to watch over the Prince’s life.” 

“My name is Yuugi,” he insisted. “Please tell me why you keep calling me Prince. It makes me feel...uncomfortable.” 

“You’ve always been the one to see no difference in rank or status,” Mana said, and she laughed softly. “Modest and kind, gentle to the bone. The light in many lives, a good friend to all.” 

“It is because of your Puzzle, Prince,” Mahaado continued, leaving Yuugi to ponder Mana’s words. “That signifies that you were the one to solve it, after so many centuries. You are the wielder of its powers, the guardian of right, keeper of the shadow games.” 

“I…” Yuugi started. 

“When you solved it, the power of the Pharaoh was released and you inherited his soul,” Mahaado said, looking over the rim of his cup. “Tell me, Prince, Mutou Yuugi, about that other soul, that other person, your Other.” 

“How do you know?” Yuugi asked, his hands protectively cupping the Puzzle. Anxious, he pressed the Item against his stomach. Mou hitori no boku. They kept referring to him as a Prince, so by Pharaoh…they had to mean…his Other. They can’t take you away from me…he felt tired, the food satisfying his stomach and pleasantly warming him. His headache hadn’t gone yet, but he forced himself to ignore the pounding. It was so tempting… 

“What is the meaning of this?” 

Both Mahaado and Mana jumped up as if they were stung, throwing their seats backwards. Even Anzu jumped up, never having experienced the transformation from this close. She almost yelped, realizing at the last second that he was her friend too - she had nothing to fear. Anzu sat down quickly again, smiling a little sheepishly at Other Yuugi; he was definitely different from Yuugi. He had crossed his arms in front of his chest, sitting upright, posture far more confident and rigid than Yuugi’s. His crimson red eyes sternly looked at the other two in the room who stared at him, both their mouths open. 

“Pha…Pharaoh!” 

Anzu’s eyes went wide as she saw Mahaado kneeling, sinking to the floor, gathering his robes around him as he went down, bowing his head. Mana looked at Other Yuugi with tears in her eyes, her face wearing a strange mixture of joy and grief, and she all but fell to the floor to kneel in a similar manner. 

“The Gods be praised,” Mahaado whispered, his gaze still averted. “We have found you. This world shall live.” 
 


-------------------------


Timeline I, Khemet 

The servants bowed to her in passing, but Mana barely paid attention to them. Her robes flapped around her ankles, the long sleeves covering her hands, her slender fingers curled into fists. The only jewelry she possessed was the golden belt, studded with lapis lazuli and ruby gemstones, holding the fabric. It had been a gift from the Pharaoh - Atemu - and every time she clasped it around her waist, it made her heart jump for joy, and plummet into an abyss the second later. It would never be the same again, would it?  

“Mana, where have you been?” 

She lifted her chin, taking the hood over her dark brown hair down, freeing the long strands from the confinement. 

“Priest Akunadin,” she said politely, looking him straight in the eye, pretending his left one was a normal eye, not a golden ball. “How does this morning find you?” 

“Quiet for now,” he answered, his voice slightly raspy. She had no idea about the man’s age; she barely interacted with him in the first place, despite having the same function as a Priest. Akunadin was the one keeping him in the background, observing, oh so sharply observing – and drawing his own conclusions, plotting to use his findings to his own benefit.  She could never think anything else of Akunadin but that he was constantly scheming something, crafting a conspiracy to overthrow the Pharaoh and have his own son ascend to the throne. It made her feel rather uncomfortable in his presence, as he had never showed any sign of sympathy or compassion – but it wasn’t her place to doubt the man. They had to form a unity of advisors and counselors, not to doubt each other. She quirked her eyebrows at his answer, but he didn’t elaborate. Instead, he walked along with her, his plain robe at ankle-length swishing through the air. A few guards passed them, spears in hand, and she unconsciously shivered, reminded of the thief sentenced to death. 

Akunadin was about to say something when they approached the familiar large doors of the Throne Room, the four guards outside staring at them with expressionless faces. One of the guards turned around to open the doors, and… 

“It is unheard of!” 

Both Mana and Akunadin exchanged surprised glances, unable to maintain their usual, neutral look. In the middle of the Throne Room, Set and Atemu were bickering, standing opposite of each other.  

“My Pharaoh,” Set said out loud, his deep voice easily heard in even the farthest corners of the room, “I admit that it is…unusual, but it certainly is not unheard of…” 

Aishizu was sitting in a kneeled position, hands in her lap, fingers laced together. Her eyes were closed – either she was in prayer, a trance, or very deep in thought. Mana assumed it was the latter, as praying in the Throne Room like this was very much out of place, and she wasn’t in a trance as her Sennen Tauk wasn’t glowing. 

Shaadah and Karim looked as if they had been scolded; both wore an unhappy grimace, eyes unreadable. It was something between the Pharaoh and Set – Mana could see they both were angry, though Set had managed to hide it better than Atemu. 

“Where have you been?” The Pharaoh barked as soon as he saw Mana and the elderly priest.  

Akunadin bowed immediately. “Forgive me, my Pharaoh, we were held up along the way,” he said. Mana bowed as well, inwardly surprised that Akunadin would even think of standing up for her. 

“You are late! Do not let it happen again!” he bellowed. “My cousin here has placed me in a terribly inconvenient position, and you slack off around the hallways!” 

Mana cringed. Atemu never referred to Set as his cousin unless he was really unhappy, but she didn’t need the tone or sound of his voice to determine that. The Pharaoh was all but red in the face – it would’ve been funny and something to tease him about if he weren’t the Pharaoh, able to condemn them all to death in a heartbeat. 

“My Pharaoh,” Mana started, relieved that her voice was soothing, exactly the way she intended it. “Will you please tell us what is wrong, so we can assert this situation and be of any help to you with our advice?” 

He snorted. “What is wrong? Wrong? The woman is wrong, that is what wrong!” 

Confused, Mana looked at Set. He had drawn his lips into a tight line, drawing all the blood out of them. 

“Kisara is not ‘the woman’, and she is not wrong,” he said, tucking the Sennen Rod in the crook of his elbow absent-mindedly.  

Kisara, Kisara…Mana remembered her: she was the extremely pale, white-haired, blue-eyed girl who’d been saved from being stoned in public. It was during a regular inspection of the city when Set, together with Shaadah, had stumbled upon the girl, dehydrated and exhausted. The citizens had been throwing rocks at her, terrified by her appearance. Mana had seen her briefly, when she was called for her healing abilities – there was not much she could do but have the girl have plenty of rest and take care of her dehydration. She had healed the cuts and bruises, and Kisara had been too exhausted to even muster up the strength to thank her. The Priestess could recall her pale skin and those startling blue eyes before they were closed. It was a certain beauty, yes, but so…completely different. No wonder the locals were terrified of her. 

“She can’t be judged on the color of her skin,” Mana said. “She can’t help the way she looks…” 

“She should not be here,” Atemu said, cutting her off. “She is like a white demon, infesting our society, corrupting my Court!” 

Mana still didn’t see the connection, and felt hopelessly inadequate. Master...! You could’ve calmed him down with a few words… 

“My son has every right to see the woman he has set his eye upon,” Akunadin spoke up, and a wave of gasps rippled through the Priests. Even Aishizu opened her eyes. The elderly Priest never referred to Set as his son in public – neutrality had always been the preferred course of action. The majority of them had crafted neutrality into perfection; after the initial shock, everyone bore the same, set-in-stone expression again. Except for Mana. 

“Set has every right to see the woman he likes,” she said, looking incredulously at Atemu. He was still red in the face, and her eyes went down to the Sennen Puzzle, moving with every heave of his chest. That cursed Item. She was so sure that because of the Puzzle, Atemu’s mind was blackened and hardened. The Pharaoh she knew and grew up with would’ve rejoiced for Set to have found someone he liked. 

“Thank you, but I can speak for myself.” Set straightened himself, using his height to his advantage, towering over the Pharaoh. Atemu didn’t step back; instead he looked up, eyes narrowing. 

“I will not have you associating yourself with a woman from outside our borders,” he spat. “We do not know anything about her background, she could very well present a danger to all of us – she is already tearing this Court apart!” 

“The only one tearing this Court apart is you,” Set spat back. “You are the one having a problem with this! No one objects to her being here but you. We have an obligation of hospitality…” 

“To our own people,” Atemu interrupted him rudely. “The whole town was over her, about to stone her out of fear. What effect do you think it will have if the girl continues to stay here? How will people think of their Pharaoh if he welcomes a white demon at his Court?” 

“The people will still think that you’re their God,” Akunadin spoke up again. “She’s not a white demon, my Pharaoh. She’s a fragile girl who had the misfortune to be born with exceptionally pale skin, and with white hair and blue eyes to boot. Why are we even discussing this? I doubt she represents any kind of danger.” 

“Are you objecting?” Atemu turned around, shifting his gaze from father to son. “Are you objecting to my words? This Kisara girl is not one of ours, and she will strike fear and unrest into our people. They were not about to stone her for nothing!” 

“She is my responsibility,” Set cut in. “I will take everything regarding Kisara upon my shoulders, and I will not stand for anyone abusing her, mistreating her, or speaking ill about her.”  

He pointedly looked at Atemu, who still focused his attention on Akunadin.  

“My son is taking every responsibility regarding to the girl,” he said. “We can either announce to the people that the great Pharaoh was as kind as to take her in under his roof, reminding the commoners that hospitality is a virtue, or we can remain silent and bleed this issue to death. This does not warrant the commotion you are causing about it, my Pharaoh.” 

Mana was glad that Akunadin was speaking up, but she noticed Atemu’s frown and his pursed lips, knowing that he was about to erupt. 

“I will not have any of it,” he said, turning around and stalking towards his throne. “I have a Syrian delegate here who will hear of this, simply because there are already rumors going around about the girl. I will not have any of these rumors spread outside the country, and I will not have any other heads of state think that I am weak and kind as if to give anyone food and shelter! I will do so for my own people, but not for strangers with an unknown background! Khemet will be strong and fierce, not weak and carefully tiptoeing around!” 

“She is not a demon, she is not dangerous!” Set exclaimed. Karim almost cringed, not used to his fellow Priest raising his voice like this.  

“She already has you in your grasp,” Atemu hissed. “Look at how you are reacting! You have never been this adamant in defending someone, and certainly not a girl.” 

“My Pharaoh…” Akunadin started, as Set took a step towards Atemu. 

“Enough!” He sat down on his throne, moving his arms to cross them in front of his chest. “I will not have this woman in the Palace. She can be moved to the servants’ quarters, and I do not want to hear one word about her! Set, you will have all the responsibility – if something strange happens due to all of this, it is your head that is going to roll.” 

“My Pharaoh...!” Akunadin protested, but quickly shut his mouth after one look from Atemu. 

“We will continue with the Court,” he said. “Unless anyone else has strange, pale floozies hanging on their arms? No? Fine. Proceed!” 

Mana was sure she could hear Set grinding his teeth all the way from here, and she quickly moved to stand behind Aishizu. Being close to the other woman always allowed her to draw some strength, and hopefully today the Court session would be without any thieves being sentences to death. She tried to catch Aishizu’s attention again, and the Priestess showed a soft, all-knowing smile. Mana hadn’t talked to her about Atemu’s apparent change; she assumed Aishizu simply wouldn’t have noticed much because she didn’t know the Pharaoh that well as she did.  

Heaving a soft sigh, she noticed Karim carrying a daunting load of scrolls, and she almost groaned at the thought that all of them had to be read out loud and listened to it. Half of these cases could be summarized very well, but Atemu insisted on listening to every detail – and truth be told, he had an excellent memory and knew to immediately spot any discrepancies and mistakes. As he picked up the first scroll, Karim send an apologetic smile to Mana and she couldn’t help but smiling back – he was a kind man, disgusted by Atemu’s earlier accusations and rude remarks. She was sure she could trust him, but she preferred to keep her own doubts of Atemu to herself; maybe one day she could talk about it, but not now. In time, she would be able to bring the old Atemu back, she was sure of it…and with surprisingly firm determination, she squelched every doubt about it. He will come back.  


------------------------------


The servants had set the large table for lunch; Set and Akunadin had immediately excused themselves and left the Throne Room before Atemu himself was able to protest. Usually they all had lunch together, an excellent opportunity to socialize and talk about mundane, less burdened things than state affairs and the threats of war. 

Mana walked next to Atemu as he went to the large table, the servants bowing as they finished putting the last of the dishes on. She saw the still warm, fresh loaves of bread, grilled fish, lots of fruit – dates and figs - jars of honey, some poultry in a sauce she couldn’t identify yet and warm vegetables. All the Priests took their own seat, waiting of course for their Pharaoh to be seated first. 

The atmosphere was shot, despite the dancers and the few musicians in the corner who were trying their best to alleviate the tension. Atemu didn’t pay attention to them, stirring with his fork over his plate until he all but mushed his food. 

Mana took pity on him. It’s not his fault. It’s the Darkness inside the Puzzle. Master knew about it…Gently, she reached for his wrist, placing her fingers on the golden bracelets. 

“My Pharaoh, you’re not eating,” she admonished, though very, very carefully. “Our ruler can’t afford to faint during the afternoon reports. It’s really delicious, please try some.” 

He pursed his lips a little, spearing a vegetable with his fork and eating it. Mana smiled at him encouragingly. For a moment, he looked just his younger self again, always moping and fussing when eating vegetables. 

Maybe all he needed was distraction. Not their activities in bed, which gave her still mixed feelings, but maybe a more permanent distraction. She knew she didn’t need to entertain the idea of becoming his wife. Not only wouldn’t it be accepted of a Priestess to get married, she had no illusions – only a very faint hope – that he would prefer simple, mundane Mana over the exotic princesses and women who threw themselves at his feet. He could choose from the most beautiful women; she didn’t stand a chance. A wife, a child…it would absorb his attention, take away the sharp edges of his life. Her hand went to her own belly, rubbing over it once. She knew of certain herbs that could…help her. An heir would please him, she was sure of it, very sure.  

“My Pharaoh…” she started, but at the same moment a servant girl took away her empty plate, bumping into her shoulder. Mana’s eyes went wide as soon as the girl touched her, gasping out loud. 

“Priestess…! My apologies,” the girl whispered, almost dropping the plate. Atemu’s fingers tightened around his goblet, and he would’ve thrown it towards her if it wasn’t for Mana quickly pushing his wrist down. To her own amazement, he allowed her to do so, and she looked up at the girl…and she looked into a mirror. 

She was looking down at herself. She was staring up at herself. Mana opened her mouth, but words eluded her.  

“Mana,” Atemu said. “Are you all right?” 

“Mana?” Shaadah, sitting opposite of her, worriedly put his own utensils down, eying her quizzically.  

“I’m fine, really, it was my fault,” she said, as the girl bowed for her and moved away with the empty plate. Confused, Mana stared at her own goblet. A masking spell. Someone in the Palace with knowledge of heka, and using it to mask her true face. Mana had seen right through the spell, looking at her own face. That couldn’t be possible – how could there be another person, looking exactly the same as she?  

“Mana,” Atemu repeated her name. “You look like you have seen a demon.” 

“I… I haven’t, great Pharaoh,” she mumbled. Her hand was still on his wrist, her mind faintly rejoicing that he hadn’t rebuked her.  

As the servants walked around to provide everyone with new plates and utensils, Mana kept an eye on them, but she didn’t see her look-alike anymore. Maybe she had worked too hard…? She had a lot of administrative tasks, and people called upon her constantly for healing and medicinal assistance. Nervously, she tried to eat something of her dessert, but she didn’t taste any of it. Mana tried to focus back on Atemu, who seemed to like the dessert drenched in sweet honey, but it was the only thing he really ate. He still didn’t mind her hand on his wrist, ignoring the glances of the other Priests; though it wasn’t really a secret that he slept with Mana, it wasn’t announced all over the Palace either. She withdrew her hand, unfazed on the outside that he didn’t say a thing about it, but at the moment she was more occupied with the strange servant girl than his quirks. She wanted to excuse herself from the table, but her own fear nailed her to her seat – she didn’t really want to think who could bring about to walk around the Palace disguising herself…with her face.  


--------------------


The afternoon meal ended in silence.  Mana stood up from her chair, bowing towards Atemu and excusing herself. She immediately walked away from the table, leaving the others behind. She knew Atemu would probably visit her later on the day, probably angry about her sudden departure from the table, but she couldn’t care less at the moment. Not even her Pharaoh could keep her away from solving this riddle. 

It still hurt her, every day, how he had changed, and how he could get angry over a silly little thing like a woman’s skin color. What he had said in the Throne Room, to his own cousin…it was horrible, and no one was able to calm him down with just a few words like her Master had been able to, or Shimon. Maybe if he had been there…but the vizier had been ill and weak for quite a while now, and Atemu had discharged him from his services, the last honorable thing he had done to allow the man to spend the last days of his life in peace and good care. Atemu had never accepted a new vizier, and many had expected him to promote Set – the hallways of the Royal Palace had been buzzing with exciting rumors. In the end, neither Set nor any other Priest was promoted, and Atemu had never talked about appointing a new one. 

Mana searched through the hallways, knowing her goal. Now that she knew about it, she could trace the heka that had been used. She hadn’t forgotten any of Mahaado’s lessons, and her skill to recognize the magic had never been her forte, but from so close…? It was as if she had been slapped in the face. Why would anyone mask her face, what was her intention? Determined, Mana searched further, until the trail lead her towards her own bedroom. The audacity! Quickly, she opened the door and gasped for breath when she saw the girl standing by her bed. 

“Who are you!” She barked, spells running through her mind. She was able to defend herself, and she wouldn’t hesitate to throw a fireball at the other…her breathing hitched when she noticed the girl picking up the covers from her bed, gently smelling the fabric. Mana blushed furiously; housekeeping obviously hadn’t had the time yet to change the linens. 

“Just like I remember,” the other spoke, with exactly her voice. “Only I…have never been that close to him. I was just a kid. You really love him, don’t you?” 

“What do you mean? Who are you?” Mana came closer, hesitantly. Fear and unrest started to stir in her stomach; an ominous feeling of bad news, waiting to be told. 

“Who I am? Don’t you recognize yourself?” She pulled the hood of her cloak down. Most servants wore simple shentis, never with a cloak – her masking spell was really strong if she had been able to hide all her original clothing as well, as nobody had made any comment about it.  

“Your heka is…” 

“Familiar, right?” The girl put back the covers, her hand gently caressing the surface. “It’s yours, Mana. I thought you recognized it sooner, and I had to get close to you to make my presence known.” 

“For what? Why are you here?” 

“So many questions, so little time to explain,” the other Mana said. She looked at the bed, obviously slept-in.  

“Yes, I love him,” Mana admitted, vaguely wondering why she was speaking about it now. The Mana close to the bed allowed herself to smile, but it was a saddened, small smile. 

“It’s good that you do,” she said. “Because he has to die, and you will be the one watching him do so.”


--------------------


Timeline II, Alternate Universe: Domino City, Japan 

Jounouchi hopped over the threshold of the class room, swaggering towards his desk. He was pretty early, early enough to miss Honda on his way to school. Oh well, his friend would arrive sooner or later - they only walked up together when they had the chance, not by some kind of agreement. Dumping his book bag on the desk, Jounouchi’s eyes darted towards the single desk at the back of the class. He snorted. He had no reason to be thinking of Mutou Yuugi; the kid had left school ages ago. He was always keeping to himself, him and his stupid games.  

Jounouchi’s standard grin widened a little. Yuugi had been easy to pick on, especially when he started bringing some golden box to school, which he called his ‘own treasure’. The idea of bringing a treasure box to school made Jounouchi almost howl with laughter. Who in his right mind would be such a girl, swooning over a gaudy box with some kind of puzzle pieces inside? He took out a few of his text books. Only once had he been able to take a sneak peek at that supposedly treasure box, and he’d been fast enough to swipe one of the pieces; he’d thrown that one in the school’s swimming pool, amused at the thought of the look on Yuugi’s face when he was about to finish his precious puzzle and noticing that he was one piece short.

Jounouchi shrugged as he plopped down. It wasn’t short after that particular incident that the Mutou kid had left school, mumbling something about helping his grandfather in his Game Shop. Jounouchi couldn’t care less and had been rather unfazed by Anzu’s prying, scathing death-glares. She’d been Yuugi’s friend all along, standing up for him - but Jounouchi was too much of a bully to understand the girl’s feelings about it. 

Other students came in, ignoring him for the most part. Jounouchi didn’t care about that either; he didn’t want that much contact with his peers either, and he had more important things to think about. Like his younger sister going steady with the town’s playboy, Otogi Ryuuji. The guy had his own gaming company, so he had money - which was a good thing, so he could at least support Shizuka and buy her pretty things. Pretty things she couldn’t see…he scowled. Jounouchi, you moron. 

“Hey, Jounouchi!” 

“Morning, Honda,” he said and shoved his seat backwards to put his feet on his desk.  

“Everything okay?” 

“Hey, more than okay,” Honda grinned. “We don’t have any PE-lessons for the rest of the semester!” 

“What?” Jounouchi sat up, eyes widened. Contrary to a lot of students, he liked PE; but then again, he liked being physically active far more than abusing his brains in class. 

“Yeah, something happened to Karita-sensei,” Honda shrugged, opening his book bag.  

“Apparently, he fell ill overnight and they had to rush him to the hospital. He’s in a coma, the loser.” 

“Honda-san, don’t say such bad things about Karita-sensei,” Miho admonished him, her high-pitched voice grating on Jounouchi’s nerves. He couldn’t see why Honda liked the girl so much in the first place - she simply looked and acted like a ditz to him. 

“Of course not, Miho-chan! I was just telling Jounouchi how bad it is, the poor guy,” Honda cooed and Jounouchi snorted, leaving his feet on top of his desk, hands folding behind his head. 

“Good morning everyone,” a soft voice floated towards them. Jounouchi didn’t even look up, already knowing it had to be Bakura. The boy gently pulled his seat backwards, barely making a sound and not commenting on Jounouchi’s left leg slung over his desk. 

“Heh, you must be particularly having a good morning, Bakura,” he said rudely. The other looked up, confusion written over his pale face. 

“Excuse me?” 

“Karita is dead.” 

“Wh-what?” 

“Jounouchi-kun!” Miho gasped, her eyes wide in horror. “Don’t talk like that!” 

Bakura seemed to pale even more, if that were possible - the shock draining all blood out of his face.  

“Wh…that can’t be…Karita-sensei?” 

The PE-teacher wasn’t very popular at school, especially because he liked to pick on the physically weak. Neither Jounouchi nor Honda had any problems with the man, but small, slender-built boys like Bakura were automatically his target. Bakura had had a personal encounter with the man, who had tugged at his hair and ridiculed his effeminate looks and long locks. Karita had demanded a buzz cut in the morning, and Bakura had tried to avoid the large, burly man as he didn’t want to comply with the ‘request’ - but now his problem seemed to be solved, no matter how grave the situation was. 

“He’s at the hospital, in a coma,” Honda added. “He fell ill yesterday, but nobody really knows what exactly has happened. 

Bakura sat down, all but gasping for air. “A…a coma…oh no…” 

Jounouchi threw him a quizzical look. Bakura looked upset, but not…that upset. As if he accepted the news without further ado, acquiescing immediately.  

“This whole town’s going to hell,” he suddenly said, leaning backwards in his chair again, rearranging his large feet on the desk. “You all have heard the news about the escaped convict and his hostage, right?” 

Miho nodded, eyes still wide, as a deer looking into headlights. There had been nothing else on TV but reports about the prisoner who held a girl hostage at a hamburger restaurant. He managed to escape after a few hours, but his hostage and a few witnesses ended up dead. Just like yesterday, the students were urged to go home immediately after school, instead of loitering around. Honda sat down as well, turning his chair to face the others.  

“Hey, Mazaki’s still not around?” 

“She’ll show up,” Jounouchi said, dismissing the girl the next second from his thoughts. “An escaped convict, and yesterday, when I was with Shizuka, I was being followed! This town’s going to hell, I tell you.” 

“Followed?” Miho repeated, frightened. 

Jounouchi nodded. “All the way during the bus ride to Shizuka’s school…when I picked her up for lunch, we were being followed. All the way.” 

“Did you see who it was?” Honda asked, tone of voice growling. If something happened to Shizuka or his best friend, he would be all too pleased to set things straight with his fists.  

“Not a clue. That was the strangest part.” 

“What do you mean?” Bakura asked softly, his fingers resting on the small stack of textbooks in front of him. 

“Well, I looked a few times behind me, and every time there was someone I was very sure of who wasn’t there before. I knew there was an old man behind me, for example…and when I looked around, there was this business chick in high heels.” 

“Sounds to me you have a very lively imagination,” Honda snorted. “You sure you didn’t smoke anything lately?” 

“Not when I’m going out with my sister, you moron,” Jounouchi retorted, throwing his pencil to Honda. Some other students looked up, but quickly looked away again when they saw it was Jounouchi raising his voice. 

Nagobana, their teacher, entered the class room and shut the door. All the students ceased talking and rose from their chairs to politely greet their sensei. 

“Sit,” Nagobana said, and it was clear the man was in a different mood than usual. Jounouchi sat down just like anyone else, refraining from flinging his feet on his desk this time. Nagobana didn’t take out papers or books from his large bag, instead remained standing next to his desk. 

“Class, you have all heard of the escaped convict,” he said. “We have issued the rule for all of our students to go home immediately after class because of this man roaming the streets.”  

“Unfortunately, he has struck again, holding a hostage to provide for his own escape. This morning, the police prefect has released details of the hostage - not to the public, but to the family of the victim…but because she was a student of our school, it affects us as well. Class, Mazaki Anzu was brutally killed by this despicable man.” 

A collective gasp went through the class, Miho immediately crying. Everyone looked at each other baffled and abhorred - even Jounouchi and Honda were aghast. Anzu? Anzu, from their class? The pushy, tomboyish girl who seemed to get along with everyone…? 

“I can’t believe it,” Honda said. Bakura looked gray instead of pale this time, fingers clenching at his books, almost tearing the paper. 

Jounouchi was dumbfounded. Not in a million years had he expect Anzu to die right now, at the hands of a convict, in a hamburger restaurant. What was she doing there in the first place?

Even though he didn’t care much for the girl, he wasn’t as heartless as to not feel sorrow and grief; he would never wish this kind of fate upon anyone. 

 

---------------------------------------


Chapter 4 | Chapter 6