The Past of the Present Future

----------------------


“Can you look into the future?” 

“We know how the timeline needs to be restored, and we have a vague outline of what’s to happen next,” Mana supplied. She didn’t take her eyes from Mahaado, a light frown visible on her face. 

Anzu bit her lower lip. “What is it that will happen next?” 

“You know someone by the name of Kaiba Seto, right?” 

“Yes…?” 

“He’ll be all over city soon, announcing his new tournament, called the Battle City Tournament. It‘ll be very important for you to participate in it, Pharaoh.” 

He shifted slightly uncomfortably in his chair. “We have recently won another tournament, called ‘Duelist Kingdom’. If there are answers to be found while participating in Kaiba’s tournament, I will do so.” 

“The Eye,” Mana said to Mahaado and he nodded, still obviously disturbed. 

“It’s…it’s not fair that Yuugi isn’t hearing all of this,” Anzu suddenly spoke up. “It’s important to him as well. We all promised to help you to find your memories, mou hitori no Yuugi, but it doesn’t feel right shutting Yuugi out.” 

“I am not shutting him out,” he defended himself. “He is tired, and a little upset from the events. I do not wish for him to get even more worked up.” 

“Yuugi might be upset, but he’s not too fragile to hear this. If this really is about the future, he has a right to know.” 

“Mazaki Anzu is right,” Mahaado said. “There is a way we can solve this.” 

“Master, no,” Mana objected. “It’ll take too much out of you, and we still have some…things to take care of.” 

“You will need to go to Khemet by yourself,” Mahaado replied. “You can make that jump on your own.” 

“But Master…” 

“Apprentice.” 

The girl muttered something under her breath, clearly unhappy with the decision. Shaking her head, she looked at Anzu, giving her a small smile. 

“What…?” 

Mahaado rose from his chair again, taking a few steps back. He closed his eyes in concentration, bowing his head a little, right hand pressed against his forehead. A purplish glow surrounded him, and Anzu put her hand on Other Yuugi’s arm, fingers clenching at the fabric of his sleeve. He kept an eye on Mahaado, his hand cupping the Sennen Puzzle, as if seeking comfort in holding it. Still, he didn’t feel any reason to be alarmed - despite the things they were telling him, despite how they behaved, these two had showed no intention of harming him. He felt strangely at ease with these people, both calling forth a familiar feeling in him of safety and security. His train of thought was roughly interrupted when pain took over his body and he tensed up. 

“It is done soon, Pharaoh…my apologies for the discomfort,” Mahaado mumbled, barely audible enough to overhear. 

Anzu held on to Other Yuugi, slightly worried when she saw him clenching his teeth. 

“Are you all right?” 

“It…it feels like something is tugging…forcefully at me,” he managed to say before the purplish light surrounding Mahaado started to surround him as well, turning a pale blue. Anzu gasped, tightening her grip on him. Right in front of her eyes, Yuugi appeared, his body ethereal, basking in the pale blue light. The outlines of his face became clearer, and his eyes widened in surprise, his mouth opening soundlessly. Soon enough, the outline of his whole body was visible, duplicating his regular clothes - his standard school uniform - and his hair. With an unceremonious grunt, Yuugi was dumped on the floor, right on his rear, body as solid as before. 

Bewildered, he looked up at his Other, sitting on the chair and staring at him, crimson red eyes boring into large violet, both boys in their own body. 

“Mou hitori no boku!” Yuugi exclaimed, beaming at him. 

“Aibou,” Other Yuugi said, baffled. Anzu laughed softly, amused by both their bewilderment. 

“Master!” Mana cried out, interrupting their little reunion. She raced to Mahaado as he seemed to faint from the exertion. Other Yuugi and Anzu quickly stood up, while Yuugi scrambled to get up from the floor, rushing to the man’s aid. 

“I told you it would take too much out of you!” Mana scolded furiously as she quickly tucked herself under Mahaado’s arm, keeping him from falling over. She grunted as he leaned heavily on her. 

“It...it was worth it,” he said, voice a soft whisper. Mana looked a little remorseful, pursing her lips.  

“I know,” she answered. “I know, Master.” 

“You have to tell them,” he said. “What we were talking about…” 

“Later,” Mana answered firmly. “You’re going to rest now, Master, and then there’s time to talk. This timeline is intact, we have some leeway now.”  

She looked over at the others, flashing an apologetic smile. “It’s all right, it’s just…I’ll explain later. You better sit down and…get acquainted, or something.” 

“For as long as I am in this timeline, you will remain separated,” Mahaado said, smiling tiredly at both Yuugi’s. “It is an honor to offer some of my energy to keep the spell intact…” 

“Master, that’s enough for now,” Mana reminded him, her voice fondly yet respectful. She whisked him away by tugging at his arm, forcing him to walk out of the living room. They could hear her talking to her Master admonishingly about ‘working too hard’ and ‘never taking some time for himself’.  

Amazed yet happy, Anzu turned around to face the two Yuugi’s.  

“You heard it- you two are going to be separated as long as Mahaado’s here,” she said, clasping her hands. She addressed Other Yuugi who looked adorable when he was slightly confused, overjoyed that she finally got to see him without feeling guilty. Anzu had considered asking Yuugi one of these days, before all of this happened, to switch with his Other; and even though she knew he would do that for her, it would make everything…awkward. She’d fallen in love with his voice, the first time she’d ever heard him say “Let’s play a game”. Yuugi would step aside and still smile, but she didn’t want to hurt him. She would never forgive herself if she hurt her best friend. Now that they were both separated, this would make things so much easier. She blushed furiously at the thought. 

“Aibou,” he repeated, voice calm and confident as always, his hands moving over his arms as if he wanted to check his body was really solid. Yuugi himself wore a dazzling smile, feeling a little queasy due to the separation and the magic involved, but was generally happy to see his Other standing right in front of him. 

“This is so much better than meeting up in our soul rooms,” he said joyfully. “Now we finally get to see each other in the flesh.” 

“It is…amazing,” he said, now looking at his hands. “I…I forgot how it felt…” 

“We have to give you a real name now,” Anzu suggested. “We can’t go around referring to you as Other Yuugi all the time! Wait until Jounouchi and Honda hear about this - they’d love to meet you like this!” 

“Well, ehm…” Yuugi said, feeling a little weighed down by Anzu’s suggestion. Finding his Other’s name and memories was their quest together, something they talked about since the beginning when they were aware of each other’s presence. It didn’t feel right giving him just a name for the sake of being able to refer to one another. 

“Maybe Mahaado-san or Mana-chan know his real name,” it suddenly dawned on him. “They know him as their Pharaoh, right?” 

“I do not know them, aibou,” his Other answered. “I do not even know what they are doing here, or why he took the trouble of separating us.” 

“Yami,” Anzu said. 

“What?” 

“Yami,” the girl repeated, smiling. “Why don’t we call you Yami for now? Yami means ‘dark’, and your eyes are dark, like Yuugi’s are light. Light and Dark…” her voice trailed off.  

This idea had just hit her, but now she felt silly for suggesting it. She was met with two grateful smiles however, and she blushed again. 

“Yami is a suitable name for as long as this situation is at hand,” he said, followed by Yuugi.  

“That’s a great idea, Anzu! It’s a suitable name, indeed!” 

Yami sat down again, looking at both Anzu and Yuugi. “This is something incredibly extraordinary,” he said. “Never have I thought from the moment that I awoke that I would walk again in a body of my own.” 

“It must be so hard for you to not remember a thing,” Anzu said sympathetically. He nodded, leaning back into his chair. Yuugi sat down next to him, noticing that the biggest difference between them was that he wasn’t wearing the Puzzle, and Yami was - their separation hadn’t split the Item as well.  

“I do not know the reason why I was locked away in the Puzzle, or how it ever came to pass that I owned the Puzzle in the first place. My earliest memories are of Yuugi, on the floor and in pain, when that Ushio kid had beaten him.” 

“So far, we’ve learned that you’re a Pharaoh, that’s for sure,” Yuugi supplied helpfully. “We all want to help you with this, mou hitori no boku. You’ll recover your name and your memories…” And then what? He quickly killed that train of thought. He owed his Other - no, Yami, though it was hard to think of him with that name - so much already, for saving his grandfather’s soul… 

“I’m sorry.” 

All three of them looked up as Mana spoke. Her robes flowed around her as she went to the other side of the table. 

“How’s Mahaado-san?” Yuugi asked. 

“He’s resting,” she answered. “The spell, the jump here, it was all too much. After all, his heka is…depleting, and not what it used to be. I’m sorry.” 

“What are you sorry for?” Yami asked.  

She shook her head. “That I can’t tell you everything. I know that you want to ask me questions, I know what you want to ask… but anything I say or do, can disrupt the timeline like we said before, and we’ve come too far to have our work destroy by ourselves.” 

“Mana-chan,” Yuugi said, “will you please tell us what you’re allowed to tell? We don’t understand. Timelines, heka, jumps…” 

Mana showed a small smile. “Mahaado is my Master, and I’m his Apprentice…in magic, what we call heka. It’s how we called it in Ancient Egypt, and it’s what we use to jump between several timelines to correct them.” 

“That sounds…fantastic,” Anzu said. “Ancient Egypt…” 

“I don’t ask of you to believe me, though it would be nice if you would,” Mana said without any humor in her voice. She slumped a little in her chair, tiredness in her features. “There’s a constant factor in every universe and every world, to keep the coherence of life and events as they unfold together - a timeline. All these timelines are a part of the Great Timeline that spans more than millennia, indefinite, never ending, never beginning.” 

She looked at the others to gauge their reaction, heaving a soft sigh. “This Great Timeline absorbs the smaller timelines and assimilates them as a giant river that keeps on floating, so to speak. Not all of these timelines are the same as worlds are different and some events don’t happen as fate or destiny tend to meddle,” she continued. “It doesn’t really matter that much to the Great Timeline in its entirety, unless it’s an event that’s so important that any change to it alters the course of the timeline and affects the Great Timeline, throwing it off.” 

“I don’t understand,” Anzu interjected. “What kinds of events throw off a timeline, how can that even be possible?” 

“Certain events are determining a world - think of a certain person in a very powerful position, ruling his country. Or a war could happen, a force of nature changing a land, or something from the skies, like a meteorite. It’s not always something you can  control. In your world, dinosaurs are extinct because of a meteorite, for example. Sure, people are still discussing about it if that’s really the case, but fact is: dinosaurs don’t exist anymore. This is one of those pivotal events that has to happen in every timeline to be assimilated by the Great Timeline. If there’s a world wherein the meteorite didn’t have the same impact and dinosaurs would still exist, assimilation in the Great Timeline would throw it off.” 

“I think I understand,” Yuugi said. “But how are we involved? I mean, you said something about the Puzzle and releasing the Pharaoh’s soul…” 

Yami looked at Mana, his eyes examining the girl as if he wanted to catch her in a lie. What she was telling him went above his imagination, and he couldn’t shake her familiarity with the Black Magician Girl, let alone as if he’d knew her even before that. 

“Solving the Puzzle and releasing his soul is one of those pivotal events as well,” Mana said. “If it didn’t happen for some reason…” She paused here, a brief look of sadness in her eyes before she continued, “…there would be no one able to stand up against the darkness that’s about to threaten this world as we know it.” 

“Darkness…!” Anzu repeated, voice soft..  

“I’m sorry again,” Mana said. “But there’s still a path filled with trials and tests for the both of you. If you think you had it hard during Duelist Kingdom, you’ll be put to the test even more with the Battle City Finals that are about to come. You will have to fight for the God Cards, as those will unlock a great part of your memories…but only after you managed to win them, and I’m not allowed to divulge if you do or not.” 

“So you do know the Duel Monsters game,” Yuugi piped up, enthusiastic. “Are you the Black Magician Girl? Your resemblance…” 

“I’m not allowed to divulge that,” Mana whispered. “You’ll hear that a lot from me or my Master. If we tell you, we can alter the events of this timeline, and this is the most complete we’ve found so far.” 

Yami briefly nodded. “Mahaado mentioned something about Kaiba organizing this tournament, and as I told him, I will participate to win those God Cards. If there is Darkness to battle, we will win over it.” 

Mana rose from her chair. “I’ve got some work to take care of,” she said, her eyes resting on Yami before looking at Anzu and Yuugi. “Feel free to make yourselves at home here.” 

“We should really call home and tell that we’re staying here,” Yuugi said after a look at the large clock on the wall. “I should’ve been home by now!” 

“You can call home, but don’t invite anyone over, not even your friends,” Mana warned. “It’s for the best that as few people as possible know about it. If they are aware of what’s happening, they could inadvertently change the course of events, thus damaging the timeline.” 

“Oh…” Anzu was clearly disappointed. Jounouchi would probably be worried, as both she and Yuugi hadn’t shown up at classes today.  

“I’ll be back soon enough, and we can prepare dinner together,” Mana said, putting her hand on Anzu’s shoulder and gave her a friendly pat. “I’ll show you how to prepare real Egyptian Feteer Bel Asaag, that’s a pastry with meat! We’ll catch up later.” 

“All right,” the girl smiled at the magician, and showed her a smile again. It was a pity that she couldn’t call Honda or Jounouchi; they would’ve loved to talk to Yami in person.  

“Do you mind if I use the kitchen to make tea for us all?” 

“You probably have a lot to talk about,” Mana agreed, joyfully. “Please, go ahead. There’s plenty of tea and cookies to your tastes available.” 

She left the living room after that, head lowered while a million thoughts went through her mind. Had she done the right thing, had she told them enough to understand or too much to harm the timeline after all?  

“Mana-chan! Mana-chan, wait up, please?” 

She stopped dead in her tracks, hearing Yuugi’s voice behind her. Mana turned around, waiting for him to catch up with her, giving her an apologetic smile. 

“I’m sorry, this must be terribly rude, Mana-chan…” 

“Of course not, Prince,” she said. “What can I do for you?” 

Yuugi fidgeted a little. He wanted to tell her once again to please stop calling him Prince, but it would probably be futile. She was so used to call him with that particular title, that any attempt of him to make her stop would probably create an awkward situation.  

“Mana-chan, I was wondering…can I please know…can you please tell me mou hitori no boku’s true name? It’s…” 

“Something you’re dying to know,” she finished her sentence. “I can’t tell you, Prince, please don’t ask that of me.” 

“I’ll never tell him,” Yuugi pleaded. “I just want to know what kind of name he has, how his father used to call him…I can keep it from him…!” 

“No, you can’t,” she said, and her smile was warm and brilliant instead of admonishing or scolding. “You don’t have any secrets from each other, Prince and Pharaoh. I’m sure you’d try to keep it a secret, just as I’m sure he can get it out of you with looking into your direction with those eyes of his that make you go weak in your knees.” Her cheeks turned a dark red as she finished speaking, and now it was Mana who started fidgeting, plucking at her dress. 

“May I ask then, where you’re going to?” Yuugi said, his cheeks coloring as well. Mana had spoken not loudly, but loud and clear enough to get the meaning behind her words. 

“There are two timelines left at the moment that need our attention,” Mana answered, willing her blush to go away. “Two who are so deviated that they’d affect and harm the Great Timeline greatly…and that’s why we have to restore them, somehow.” 

“It must be very difficult work,” Yuugi whispered. 

“It is,” she immediately admitted. “There’s one in Ancient Egypt and one alternate universe… those are the last two.” 

“I’d love to see Egypt,” Yuugi said. “My grandfather has been there…he brought back the golden box with the Sennen Puzzle.” 

She nodded. “Yes, and that was exactly according to the Great Timeline,” she said. “You finished it in time and released the Pharaoh’s soul as you were supposed to do. The timeline in Ancient Egypt…” Her voice became thick. “Our Pharaoh there…is hard and evil. Things went wrong in that timeline, and he…he lived through it to become as hard and malicious as he is now.” 

“I…that’s extremely hard to believe…mou hitori no boku?” 

“I already said too much,” Mana muttered. “Forgive me, Prince. I have to go now…please join the Pharaoh and Anzu in the living room. As soon as my Master has rested, he’ll fill you in on the rest, if he chooses to…” 

He knew the conversation had ended, and he was never the one to pry. “I’m sorry,” he softly said, but Mana didn’t hear it as she walked down the hallway, entering another room and closing the door a little too loud.  


-----------------------


Timeline I, Khemet 

Atemu paced back and forth in his study. The Puzzle dangled, bumping against his chest angrily with every movement. How could his cousin be so stupid? A High Priest falling for a pale and white-haired…freak of nature? It was a conspiracy, he was sure of it. They would go after his most trusted advisors first, narrowing him down, forcing him into a corner. With all his Priests charmed, he would be all alone, vulnerable and defenseless.  

That white-haired demon was just the beginning. Set didn’t feel anything for her, he was just under her spell. He gritted his teeth. Though he commanded the Gods, the Pharaoh, the exalted ruler of Khemet, didn’t have the slightest bit of heka in his body. Not many knew that, assuming that their monarch was nothing short of a god himself, disposing over more than enough magic powers to rival the nation’s greatest spirit sorcerer. 

Mahaado. A faint, queasy feeling welled up inside of him and he put a hand against his chest, over his heart region. It hurt the most when he thought of his missing Priest, no, his Priest who ran away from him soon after the alleged King of Thieves barged into the Palace. It had taken a God to drive Bakura away, but not after he uttered the threat that he would go after each and every Priest to get their Sennen Item. Atemu sat down on one of the many chairs in his room, panting as if he had ran at least ten miles. Why did it hurt, physically and mentally, to think of Mahaado? Because he had cared so much for him, because he wanted to have him, to hold him in his arms, being held by him?  

“Great Pharaoh, are you all right?” 

He growled, having forgotten that Shaadah was with him. Even though Atemu could demand all the privacy he wanted, in general it happened to be that there was someone with him almost the entire day, be it one of his Priests or advisors, or a guard. 

“I am fine,” he snarled, not apologizing for his rude tone. He would wonder why he was thinking about Mahaado in the first place later. It had taken another calling of the Gods, Ra Himself in this case, to kill the thief. By then, Mahaado had left the Palace…and Atemu had thought, tried to convince himself that he had gone out to defeat the King of Thieves, to keep his Sennen Ring out of the man’s clutches…but Mahaado had never returned, with or without Ring, and the search expeditions Atemu had send out to find him had always returned empty-handed. 

“Great Pharaoh, about the Syrian delegates…” 

“What is it, did they leave?” 

“No, they didn’t,” Shaadah shook his head. “They have caught wind of the rumors, and are discussing how much they can use it to their advantage.” 

“I will not answer to any kind of blackmail,” Atemu huffed. “Besides, the affairs of my High Priest is none of their business.” 

“They will more than probably question his credibility in their next negotiations with you, Great Pharaoh.” 

“Just as I expected, and Set still does not see the problem. A white demon, I tell you!” 

“Great Pharaoh, Kisara isn’t at fault in this…” 

“Is this your way of telling me that I am at fault, Priest Shaadah?” 

The man flinched. “Of course not, Great Pharaoh! We’ll find a solution to this, just as your father always found a solution…” 

“My father is not here,” Atemu barked. “I rule this country now, and I will see to it that no demon, white-haired or not, will tear my Court and my country apart! I have dealt with thieves, kings, delegates, and this woman will not be the end of my reign!” 

“I’m sure it won’t come to that,” Shaadah said. “Please, Great Pharaoh. We have to remain calm in all of this. If we don’t solve this rightfully, our neighbor countries…” 

“Will mock us,” Atemu finished his sentence. “It is not my High Priest’s credibility at stake here, but mine and our nation’s as well. Women with blue eyes will bring disaster to this land. I am in charge of this nation - it will not fall at someone’s hands but mine!” 

“Great Pharaoh,” Shaadah spoke, “we can’t let ourselves be guided by superstition. The girl is unusual in appearance, yes, but I’m sure that…” 

“Enough about this woman,” Atemu cut him off. “How is my vizier?” 

The Priest was taken aback by the question, startled why his Pharaoh would ask about the elderly vizier right now. Since the man had fallen ill, Atemu had barely asked about him. 

“Shimon’s health is stable, fortunately. He’s enjoying his time without any obligations and duties, finally some time for himself.” 

Atemu barely nodded. “He deserves it. He’s been in service of my family for several generations. I could use his advice on this, though… but I cannot depend on everyone all the time. I have to make a decision in this matter.” 

“Great Pharaoh?” 

“Keep an eye on the Syrian delegates,” Atemu said. “I do not wish for them to send out messengers with news and gossip about…the recent events. I will talk to Set again and maybe go visit this Kisara woman myself.” 

Shaadah paled, but quickly bowed his head.  

“Do you think that is wise, Great Pharaoh?” 

He snorted. “After all, I have to see for myself the woman who can make my esteemed cousin go nuts in love. If he is just as diligent to her as to his duties, she will probably praise herself lucky that she has caught herself such a big fish. I will personally see to it that it will not be the case.” 

The Priest pursed his lips, briefly motioning at the guards, who curtly nodded with their head before guarding their Pharaoh, accompanying him out of his room. 
 


---------------------


“I will watch him? Watch him die?” The Priestess’ voice was shrill. She couldn’t believe her ears. There was someone standing next to her bed, claiming to be her, showing impressive heka, telling her that she would watch her Pharaoh die? Both Mana’s cringed, from the sound of her voice as well as from the idea. 

“There’s no other way,” Mana said. She dropped the sheets and moved away from the bed. “His darkness…no, the darkness inside of him will only grow stronger with each passing day, each passing moment. He has fought so hard…I have to be thankful it hasn’t gotten that much out of hand yet…” 

“It hasn’t?” the Priestess barely refrained from shrieking again. “He’s nowhere near the friend I grew up with, the boy I knew my whole life! He’s cold, he’s distant, he uses…” 

“Your body,” Mana said. The Priestess abruptly shut her mouth, averting her eyes.  

“My body,” she whispered. 

“How…what does it feel like?” 

She looked up. “What? What do you mean?” 

Mana was the one to look away now, her hand fumbling with her cloak. Her hand trembled slightly. Her heka was depleting fast; she had had to uphold a masking spell to keep herself disguised from everyone but the Priestess, and she had made the jump between timelines.  

“I…” 

The Priestess spoke after a minute. “I’ll tell you…after you tell me first what you’re doing here, and how and why…he has to die.” 

“I don’t have much time.” Mana looked up again, at the Priestess, at her spitting image. She had always wondered what would become of her when she was just a little child, but after seeing so many worlds, so many realities, Mana knew more than enough. She was here to restore the Great Timeline, to save worlds from utter destruction, to bring alternate realities back from beyond control.  

“I’m Mana, I’m you, in each and every way. Undoubtedly you’ll have many questions…but I can’t answer them all. Some of the answers go above your belief, beyond your grasp and imagination.” 

“You’re telling me that, and still you have the nerve to bluntly watch him die?” 

 

---------------------------------------


Chapter 6 | Chapter 8