The Past of the Present Future

----------------------


“Mana…” 

“You’re talking to yourself.” 

“Priestess?” 

The Priestess felt her cheeks redden. “If you know so much, you also know that I’m not a real Priestess. I’m only accepted into the Court by his…by Ate…by the Pharaoh’s command. To take the place of my teacher…” 

“Mahaado.” Mana heaved a sigh. She hated this situation, she hated the work she was doing, she hated this timeline…and she knew how much Mahaado hated himself. Almost irritated, she rubbed at her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. She had to remain focused. 

“How many of his studies are still behind? How many did you study for yourself?” 

“I didn’t have always the time,” the Priestess defended herself. “Besides, if the Pharaoh finds them in my room…” 

“I was afraid so,” Mana muttered. She hadn’t missed out on the Priestess’ earlier slip, that she referred to Atemu with his first name. “Very well. It will suffice to say that every world, no matter how small, is subjected to a timeline…and all these timelines are subjected to the Great Timeline.” 

“What are you talking about?” 

Mana shushed her. “Listen to me, please. In most of the cases, the Great Timeline is disturbed many times with little pinpricks; events that are not that important that they throw it off completely. However, there are certain events that are so drastic, so encompassing, that they influence the Great Timeline after all.” 

“What kind of events?” The Priestess asked, a little confused. She didn’t like it that she was listening so meekly, that she was willing to buy the words this other girl was speaking so easily. There wasn’t much she couldn’t do about it, though - it was fascination and curiosity that kept her latched onto the words spoken. 

“Epidemics, wars, earthquakes…in general, not the kind of happy events. They change the course of mankind, and that is why they have to appear in every timeline to keep the Great Timeline going, otherwise…the balance is thrown off.” 

“Where does…the Pharaoh fit in, then?” 

Mana wanted desperately to sit down, and she didn’t await her namesake’s approval for it - she flopped down on the nearest chair, drawing up her knees to her chest. 

“He was supposed to defeat Darkness…” 

“He did!” The Priestess all but crowed. “He defeated the King of Thieves, who had desecrated his father’s tomb, and he summoned the golden God to kill him…!” 

“That wasn’t the right course of events,” Mana objected slowly. She supported her head with her hands. “The King of Thieves had to be defeated, yes, but not before he had unleashed the great God of Darkness, Zorc Necrophades.” 

“The great God of Darkness…” 

“The Pharaoh was supposed to die in defeating him, and his sacrifice would’ve been the key to keep the timeline going as it was,” Mana all but whispered. “He wasn’t supposed to live longer, to absorb the Darkness in himself, to become the man he’s become now.” 

“You…you can’t be serious.”  

“I’ve seen enough worlds and realities by now to know how the Great Timeline goes…and there’s no place for a corrupted Pharaoh.” 

“It’s not his fault!” the Priestess cried. “It’s not his fault! If Maha…Master didn’t run away, he could’ve helped him, together, in defeating that Darkness!” 

“No!” Mana shifted in the chair, fixing the Priestess a stern glare. “Mahaado…couldn’t have been of any use. There was nothing in his powers that could’ve avoided all of this.” 

“You’re lying…you’re just some clever witch who’s telling lies to cause unrest…!” 

“I’m not lying. I’m not asking you to believe me, anyway. I’m asking you to help me, for I can’t do this alone.” 

“If you want any help of me in killing him, you can forget it. Leave here, right now, before I call the guards and have you taken to the dungeons.” 

Mana let out a dry laugh, a short chuckle. “You’ll change your mind, Priestess. You will, soon enough…and pray that it won’t be too late by then.” 

She had barely finished her sentence or her heka was depleted. Unable to keep her presence anchored in this world, Mana let it go, let herself go, allowing herself to be pulled back into the timeline that was at least the less damaged one. She left the Priestess behind in confusion and in tears, forcefully biting back her own. 
 


-----------------------------


The guards had to quicken their pace to keep up with their Pharaoh; despite being small, Atemu kept a very fast stride. He had left his own room, walking down the large hallways and crossing one of the most beautiful lotus gardens known to mankind - though he didn’t look at it once - towards the servants’ quarters.  

“Great Pharaoh,” one of the guards finally spoke up, “are you sure you want to be here?”

Atemu looked over his shoulder, narrowing his crimson red eyes. The taller man gulped, but he stuck to his guns. “Great Pharaoh?” 

“Bring me to that woman,” he spoke. “I wish to speak to this Kisara myself. I ordered her to be brought to the servants’ quarters. Where is she?” 

The guards exchanged nervous glances. “Ah…we…we’re not really sure where she is, Great Pharaoh.” 

Atemu turned around, the movement so fast, his cloak swirled around. “What do you mean by that? Go get me someone who does know where this woman is!” 

“Great Pharaoh…” 

“What?” 

“Great Pharaoh, we don’t know someone who knows…” 

“We only know she isn’t here,” the other guard said, almost pleading. “The High Priest, Great Pharaoh, he wanted to make sure she was safe and sound, without too many people knowing…” 

“You idiots,” Atemu snarled. “I will have your heads for this!” 

Brusquely, he went past them and pushed them out of his way, the two guards looking horrified. They were supposed to guard him, watch his every step and keep him safe, but after his last words… nervously, they remained standing, considering whether to run if someone had heard his words, or to go after him and pretend nothing had happened. 

Atemu couldn’t care less, the guards already disappearing from his mind, anger running through his veins. Set had deliberately ignored his orders and kept the woman hidden now, hadn’t he? What was he thinking, did he single-handedly want to ruin the nation? He growled in annoyance when he realized that he didn’t know where Set’s quarters were. Another pair of guards came to help him, guiding him to the right hallway, up a few stairs until they reached the right wing of the Palace, housing all the Priests and their personal staff. 

Atemu didn’t wait for the guards to knock on the door, but already went through it, throwing it open as he entered. Sure enough, his High Priest was sitting at his writing table, startled at his sudden entrance. The young woman, Kisara, was lying on a sofa, comfortably supported by a healthy amount of cushions, covered with a thin blanket. 

“What is the meaning of this?” Atemu said out loud, ignoring the furious look on his cousin’s face. “Why are you ignoring my orders?” 

“I told you that I would take full responsibility for Kisara,” Set said, visibly suppressing his irritation.  

“Great Pharaoh, it was my own judgment that she was not safe in the servant’s quarters. I wished her close, so I could keep an eye on her.” 

“Do not hold me for stupid,” Atemu said, the same annoyance in his tone of voice. He tilted his head, looking at Kisara whose wide, blue eyes were…strangely hypnotizing. Forcefully, he averted his head, noticing the Sennen Rod lying on Set’s desk. 

“Great Pharaoh…” 

“I will not have her cause this much riot between you and me,” Atemu continued. “You are my most trusted and wisest advisor. I need you at my Court, head straight and mind clear of any foolish, corrupted thought.” 

Set lowered his eyes, briefly. “I thank you for your faith in me,” he said, “but my head is straight and my mind is clear. I am not doing anything different than I would usually do. I have taken care of the problem, or what is thought of as a problem.” 

“You ignored my orders.” 

“Great Pharaoh, it would have caused more of a ruckus if we were to house her in the servants’ quarters. She would be badly treated, and she needs rest, to find her strength again.” The High Priest kept his eyes on Atemu, carefully watching where he was going. Atemu moved towards the large desk, picking up one of the papers. 

“At least you are still working.” 

“But of course, Great Pharaoh.” 

Set’s attention on Atemu was briefly interrupted as he heard a rustling sound, of fabric being pushed away; Kisara tried to get up. The High Priest moved to help her, softly whispering to her to stay down and save her strength. 

“These are the latest reports about the national guard?” 

“Yes,” Set answered, slightly distracted as he supported the girl. “I have just received final reports from the captains.” 

“Very well. I want you to keep me informed about the mobility and strength of our army.” 

“Great Pharaoh?” Set turned around, confused. As far as he knew, there wasn’t a war going on. It was of course his duty to keep the Pharaoh informed about the state of his army, but he had never asked so specifically about it before. Kisara tugged at his collar. 

“It’s all right. I can stand.” 

Atemu turned away from the desk, hearing her speak for the very first time. 

“I did not know that you mastered our language.” 

“Exalted Pharaoh,” she said, her voice soft, but melodious, the title obviously strange to her. “I know the language.” 

“Kisara is native to our nation,” Set supplied. “She is not from another country…” 

The girl shook her head. “I’m a proud denizen of Khemet.” 

“How come you look so different?” Atemu demanded. He moved his arms, his right arm in particular, from resting against his back to his front. Set raised an eyebrow when he saw the Pharaoh with his Sennen Item - the Rod. He’d left it on his desk as he’d been working on the reports; he didn’t know why Atemu wanted to hold it right now. He already had an Item, the heavy Puzzle. 

“I don’t know,” Kisara answered and tried to bow, but the movement was too straining on her weak constitution and she swayed. Set quickly stabilized her, wrapping an arm around her to keep her upright. Stubbornly, she pushed his arm away from her as soon as she found her balance. She gave him a grateful smile, then she turned towards Atemu again, lowering her head a little.  

“Great Pharaoh, I don’t know about my parents. I have lived on my own for as long as I can remember. I want to thank you for your great hospitality and that I’m allowed to live here. I have always been on the run, out of fear, away from the hatred and pain.” 

“They say that if you look in your blue eyes, you will be cursed,” Atemu casually said. “Is that true, Kisara?” 

She looked a little dumbfounded. “There are many prejudices going around, mighty Pharaoh. I am sure that you, in the wisdom bestowed upon you, realize that many of these prejudices are false.” 

“Children’s fantasies and fairy tales,” Set added. “Kisara has been through enough. As soon as she has rested more, she will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.” 

Atemu held the Sennen Rod in his right hand, his left hand closing itself around the handle.  

“How long will that take?” 

“For her to rest?” Set asked. “As long as it takes, Great Pharaoh. She almost died from dehydration, she…what is that noise?” 

“Pharaoh…! Pharaoh!” 

It was another female voice, and both Set and Kisara took a step back, shifting towards each other. 

“Mana? What are you doing here?” 

The Priestess all but ran towards them, her eyes frantically glued to Atemu, examining him. 

“What is the meaning of this, Mana?” he asked, his hands still holding the Sennen Rod. Mana blushed, knowing that she’d been very rash in her actions. After her encounter with the other, strange Mana, the girl that claimed to be her and was her, and all her talk about the timelines, the Priestess wanted to see for herself that at least her Pharaoh was safe…and now she was standing in Set’s quarters, Atemu obviously alive, interrupting the discussion. She couldn’t back out with an excuse now. 

“I…I have to talk to you, urgently,” she said, bowing to him. “In priv…in private. Please.” 

“All in due time,” Atemu said. “I have to deal with another urgent matter first.” 

“I cannot believe that you still think this is a matter at all,” Set growled, fairly irritably. His sharp eyes were focused on Atemu, failing to have heard the sound of the dagger concealed in the Sennen Rod being unscrewed due to all the previous noise. 

“It is an important matter. You have forsaken my orders, you have shown that you are willing to take risks and endanger our nation by bringing this woman to your personal quarters…” 

“Please, Great Pharaoh,” Kisara tried to raise her voice. “If…if it’s such a problem, I better be going…I don’t want to be of any burden.” 

“You are not a burden.” Set firmly spoke up, not about to give in. “As far as I am concerned, this discussion has ended. There is nothing more we can say about this, and frankly, I…” 

“Silence!” Atemu had stepped closer, drawing up all his height as he stood in front of Set and Kisara. “I will not have you plunge us into a crisis just because you fancy a white demon.” 

“Stop that,” Set hissed. “Do not refer to her like that…” 

“Pharaoh,” Kisara started to talk at the same moment, “I can assure you, I will never…” 

Atemu,” Mana wanted to say, but her voice was frozen. Frozen in time, frozen in fear, frozen in that one second of realization settling in, of despair being born, of shells being removed from the eyes. She wasn’t believing what she was seeing, denying it in every fiber of her soul, every corner of her heart, but she saw it happening - the dagger being lifted, the expression on Kisara’s face changing from pleading to disbelieving pain, Set’s soundless cry. 

The girl fell to the floor, hands pressing against her abdomen, blood gushing through her fingers, staining her pale skin, coloring her dress. Weakened and fragile as she was, Kisara all but died at the moment she fell on the floor, the impact when hitting the tiles too much for her body to handle. Set immediately kneeled next to her, taking her in his arms, repeating her name. 

“Kisara! Kisara!” 

Plain disgust was written all over Mana’s face as she looked at Atemu, who calmly screwed the end cap on the Sennen Rod again, concealing the dagger once more. She didn’t see if there was any blood on the object, but even if there was, it wasn’t of any importance. He had killed her, in cold blood, not showing the faintest bit of remorse or sorrow… 

“How could you!” she cried out. Certain events that influence the Great Timeline. “You killed her!” The Pharaoh was supposed to die in defeating him, and his sacrifice would’ve been the key to keep the timeline going as it was.  

“You killed her!” He wasn’t supposed to live longer, to absorb the Darkness in himself, to become the man he’s become now. She had been lying. To herself, to everyone around herself, to all the Gods watching over her, to her heart, her mind, her body and soul. I’ve seen enough worlds and realities by now to know how the Great Timeline goes…and there’s no place for a corrupted Pharaoh.  

There was no one to help her now but herself - as far as she could muster up the strength to walk a new path, not this path of imminent destruction. Her voice kept repeating the words, each with increasing disbelief and horror. She wasn’t looking at Kisara on the floor, she wasn’t looking at Set who was shaking at her as if he could bring her back to life. I’m asking you to help me, for I can’t do this alone. No remorse. No guilt. His face was blank, bored maybe, and the Sennen Rod was still in his hand, his fingers simply curled around it. So much gold adorned his tan body, so small in statue and so tall in what he used to believe in - justice, fairness, equal chances.  

He wasn’t a Pharaoh. He was nothing but a monster. You’ll change your mind, Priestess. You will, soon enough…and pray that it won’t be too late by then. She cried out something unintelligible and turned around, running away from him as fast as she could. Set was calling for her, pleading for her to stay and to try to heal Kisara, even though he already knew it was in vain.  

She kept yelling “No, no, no!” as she ran through the hallways, haunted by ghosts, haunted by her defeat, haunted by herself. 


---------------------


Timeline II, Alternate Universe: Domino City, Japan 

The quaint Kame Game Shop owned by Mutou Sugoroku was well-known all over town; the man had established a name in trading in the most exotic and wonderful games, both international and national. He was also rumored to own an exclusive, very interesting collection of ancient and rare games from all over the world, and excelling in every one of them. His grandson, Mutou Yuugi, who had inherited his knack for gaming, had gone to Domino High until he dropped out.  

Jounouchi suppressed the queasy feeling in his stomach as they approached the store, sticking out like a sore thumb between the surrounding gray apartment buildings because of its striking green and red colors. The store was combined with the house where the Mutous lived and was topped off with a roof that would fit a surrealistic painting. Whoever was responsible for the architecture had either been a genius or just plain drunk. 

“We’re here,” he announced superfluously as he opened the front door, a bell chiming happily.  It was small, the walls covered with posters announcing game tournaments or sales, display cases on the left and right, large bookcases filled to the brim with board games. The little room left was occupied by a giant counter, stacked with even more games and a large, old-fashioned cash register. 

There was no one behind the counter and Jounouchi walked forward, followed by the others - Honda, looking around like a kid in a candy store, and Mana and Mahaado sternly and silently taking in the surroundings. Jounouchi had never been in the store before, and was quite impressed by the amount of card games. He’d been lucky with blackjack and poker before, learning the rules while he was with the gang - he didn’t know much about the trading card games, though…he didn’t have any money to spend on them anyway. 

“Welcome!” It was obviously an elderly man who spoke, and Mutou Sugoroku entered the store from a door to the right; the bell had been loud enough to hear through the entire house. 

“What can I do for you?” 

“We’re here to see Yuugi,” Jounouchi said, showing a goofy grin. Even though the family resemblance was quite obvious - the hair, the eyes and the height - the man didn’t show any lack of confidence or self-esteem as his grandson had. 

“Are you?” he asked, his voice chilly. “He didn’t tell me he was expecting visitors.” His eyes went over Jounouchi’s and Honda’s school uniforms. “And certainly not visitors from his school. Jounouchi Katsuya, right?” 

“The one and only,” he grinned. 

“Give me one reason why I shouldn’t throw you out,” Sugoroko growled. “It was because of you that he left school. Do you have any idea what you’ve done to him?” 

“The kid doesn’t have any character,” Jounouchi snorted before anyone else could say something. “Gramps, don’t take it so hard. He wouldn’t have stood a chance in the business world either, with his whining and yammering.” 

“Enough,” Mahaado cut in. “We are here to see the Prince, not to trade insults.” 

“The Prince?” Sugoroku repeated. 

“Yeah, these…people seem to think Yuugi is some kind of Prince,” Jounouchi snorted again, making a dismissive gesture with his hand. Sugoroku folded his hands on the counter, looking from one to another. 

“What is the meaning of this? If this is some kind of prank…” 

“Sir, please,” Mahaado said, “we would really like to see our Prince.” 

Suddenly, the elder man nodded. “Very well. Yuugi is in the storage room, helping me keeping the stock up-to-date. I will leave you with him, but the moment he wants you to leave, you will leave. Understood?” 

It was more aimed towards Jounouchi and Honda than to the others, but Mahaado nodded in return.  

“Storage room is on the left, immediately after you’ve gone through that door,” Sugoroku pointed them towards the door on the right. Mana thanked the man in passing, and went after Mahaado. Jounouchi and Honda followed her, both muttering something under their breath. 

The storage room was quite large, and chilly - the few wooden scaffoldings, crammed with cardboard boxes, made it difficult to see. 

“Hey, Yuugi!” Jounouchi hollered, ignoring Mahaado’s angry look. 

There was no answer, so Jounouchi repeated his words, joined by Honda.  

“Hey, Yuugi! Are you here?” 

Mahaado suddenly widened his eyes and Jounouchi showed his trademark grin. A familiar head peaked from behind the last scaffolding, large eyes even wider than he remembered. 

“Jounouchi-kun…Honda-kun! What are you doing here?” 

“We’ve come to visit you,” Honda said casually, enjoying how the small boy swallowed. Yuugi held a small box in his hands, but it wasn’t his golden treasure box; it was just a package of Duel Monsters booster packs. Jounouchi had heard a lot about the game, and was surprised to learn that there were even tournaments with great prizes. How anyone could ever get rich by winning game tournaments was a riddle to him, but apparently is was a booming market. 

“It’s nice of you to visit me,” the small boy said, trying to hide the disbelief that two of his greatest bullies had actually come to visit him. 

“What’s that you have in your hand?” Honda asked. 

“This? Oh, this is a carton of Duel Monsters booster packs, I was just checking up on the inventory,” Yuugi said hurriedly. He stepped back when Honda reached for the box, but he wasn’t fast enough and he grabbed one of the booster packs. 

“Duel Monsters, huh? Do you play the game yourself?” 

“We are not here for small talk,” Mahaado reminded them. Mana stood next to him, looking at Yuugi with a rather neutral look on her face, though her lips were still curled up in a smile. 

“Honda-kun, please don’t open it, those costs money,” Yuugi protested. Honda waved with the package in his face. 

“What if I don’t have any money to pay for it?” 

“Honda-kun…!” 

“Enough.” Mahaado stepped forward and took the package from Honda to give it back to Yuugi. Jounouchi snickered. So little Yuugi had barely changed after all. He was dressed in simple slacks and a shirt, wearing a gray vest over it. He was exactly as Jounouchi had seen him the last time, even his typical tri-colored hair was still the same. 

“How come you’re visiting me, Jounouchi-kun? And who are your friends?” Yuugi asked, putting the box on the small table behind him covered with paperwork.  

Jounouchi heaved a sigh. Only Yuugi would immediately assume that everyone around him was his friend.  

“They wanted to see you and didn’t know where to reach you,” he said, bored. “It’s about your puzzle.” 

Yuugi frowned. “What about it?” 

“Prince,” Mahaado bowed to him. “May I ask you where the Item is?” 

“Prince? Item?” 

“The Puzzle,” Mana spoke up. “Do you still have it?” 

“I do, but it’s incomplete,” Yuugi answered. A stubborn look appeared on his face. “I’m not selling it, if that’s what you want.” 

The girl smiled a little sadly. “No, it’s yours, Prince. We would like to see it, please.” 

“Why are you calling me Prince?” Yuugi tilted his head. “Haven’t we met before? You look familiar.” 

“We haven’t met before, but it’s not surprising that I look familiar to you,” she said. “All in due time, Prince.”  

Jounouchi whistled, amused. “I didn’t know you picked up hot chicks, Yuugi!” He immediately doubled over, gasping as he was punched in the stomach - while no one moved. 

Yuugi looked confused, Honda jumped up ready for action, and Mahaado growled. 

“You will not refer to my Apprentice that way!” He turned towards Yuugi again. “Prince, the Puzzle, if you please.” 

“It’s upstairs,” Yuugi answered, eyeing Jounouchi who tried to regain his breathing, meanwhile uttering curses. “I…I’ll go get it for you.” 

As he walked away, Jounouchi yelled at Mahaado. “Where the fuck was that for!” 

“I told you, I will not have you refer to my Apprentice that way,” Mahaado answered calmly.  

“It is sad to see how you turned out to be, Jounouchi Katsuya. I had hoped that this world was deviated from its course of anything else but you. You have always proven to be strong and faithful to your friends, and to see you as an ill-mannered, brusque cad is something I was never expecting to see.” 

“Hey, who are you calling a cad, you quack,” Honda protested. 

“I advise you to shut up,” Mahaado rudely told him. “You have both condemned this world to its demise, and pray to your Gods that something can be saved before the darkness strikes.” 

“Yeah, well, whatever,” Jounouchi huffed. “We’ve brought you here like good little lackeys, and you’ve found your precious Prince. Let’s get the hell out of here, Honda.” 

“You are not permitted to go anywhere.” 

“Excuse me?” 

“You are not permitted to go anywhere.” 

“Take a hike, you moron!” 

“Do not make me freeze you on the spot and deny you your ability to speak,” Mahaado said. “I do not have any qualms about keeping you in place here with every means necessary.” 

“What do you want from us?” Honda demanded. “For all your talk about the end of the world and doom, you haven’t explained anything, and still you’re holding us responsible for everything that has happened? You’re way out of whack, man.” 

“What is this all about? Could you please stop fighting?” Yuugi had entered the storage room again, carrying something triangular in his hands. “I could hear you all from upstairs.” 

“Yeah well, tall and lanky doesn’t want to let us go,” Jounouchi growled. 

“Is that the Item?” Mahaado ignored him, focused intently on Yuugi’s hands. The small boy put it on the table so everyone could see. 

“Yes, this is the Puzzle I got from my grandfather. He found it in Egypt, you know…but it’s not complete, unfortunately.” 

He moved his hands away and both Mahaado and Mana uttered a shocked gasp. The Puzzle was lying in front of them, perfectly in once piece…except for the missing center piece.  

“You never finished it, Prince…” he said. 

Yuugi blushed faintly, not used to being addressed like that, feeling embarrassed. “I don’t know how it’s possible…either it was incomplete when my grandfather brought it back from Egypt, or I’ve been careless. I’ve taken it a few times to school with me, maybe one of the pieces…” 

“…was taken away by someone who thought it was an awesome joke,” Mahaado completed his sentence, staring pointedly at Jounouchi. 

“I must’ve dropped it somewhere,” Yuugi said. “No one touched the box, I was the only one to carry it…” 

“Your kindness is great, Prince,” Mana said, her voice cheerful. “You always want to see the good side of everything and everyone, even if it’s not true. You didn’t lose the piece, it…” 

“If you want some kind of confession from me, yes, I took that stupid piece and threw it out of the window,” Jounouchi snarled. “Can we cut it out with the mystery thing and the stupid Prince stuff, and tell us all in little words what the fuck is going on?” 

Even Honda looked up from his friend’s outburst, and Yuugi blushed deeper, not used to the language. 

“Maybe it’s better if we all go to the living room and…talk,” he suggested. “I don’t even know your names, eh…?” 

“Mahaado,” he said curtly. “Mahaado and Mana.” 

“Mahaado and Mana,” Yuugi repeated. “Let’s go to the living room. Honda-kun…Jounouchi-kun…?” 

“Yeah yeah, we’re coming.”


------------------------


The golden Puzzle rested on the coffee table, the missing piece a large black hole on the front. Mahaado kept looking at it, a disturbed expression on his face. Mana had gone quiet, her hands plucking at the folds in the fabric of her formless robes covering up her entire body. 

“It is as I feared.” 

Yuugi stared at the tall man, slightly uncomfortable. He had never known that Jounouchi had taken a piece of the Puzzle out of the box and thrown it into the school’s swimming pool; he had simply assumed that he was responsible himself for missing the last piece. 

“What now, Master?” Mana asked. 

“How bad can it be?” Honda asked at the same time. He didn’t see the importance of the gaudy piece of jewelry, thinking everyone made a lot of fuss about nothing. 

“How bad it can be?” Mahaado fixed his gaze on him. “The end of the world, that is how bad it can be. Prince was supposed to solve the Puzzle and inherit the Pharaoh’s soul.  

“Together, they would save the world from everlasting darkness. Now that the Puzzle has not been solved, the Pharaoh’s soul has not been released, which means Prince is alone…and the half of one soul cannot do the work of a complete soul.” 

“Gibberish. Just fucking gibberish,” Jounouch muttered. 

“Silence!” Mahaado snapped. “You have no room to talk, as it was you who caused all of this!” 

“How the hell was I supposed to know? All I saw was a whiny kid prancing around with his golden treasure box!” 

“Stop fighting, please!” Yuugi raised his voice, trying to drown the others out. Jounouchi cringed.  

“At least nothing about your voice changed. Sheeesh!” 

“Enough of this,” Mahaado said. “If the Puzzle cannot be completed, this world is doomed and we are wasting our time here.” 

“How can we complete it, then?” 

Yuugi frowned. “If Jounouchi-kun threw it in the swimming pool, I’d say it would still be there on the bottom…” 

“I don’t think so,” Honda shook his head. “It’s been months, and the pool has been cleaned in the meantime.” 

“The front piece is quite big,” Yuugi pointed at the Puzzle. “Certainly, when cleaning the pool, they would’ve noticed it?” 

“It’s too big to slip through a filter,” Honda added, vaguely wondering why he was even actively contributing to the conversation. The whole thing seemed weirder by the second. 

“I can call the school tomorrow and ask about it,” Yuugi suggested. “If anyone would’ve seen it, it’s Hashimono, the janitor.” 

“Very well, Prince,” Mahaado said, obviously content. Mana showed a brilliant smile. 

“See? I told you that Prince would find a solution!” 

“Could you please refer to me as Yuugi…please?” Yuugi said, blushing furiously. Both shook their heads, wearing similar all-knowing smiles. The small boy wished his blush would go away, feeling rather sheepish in the company of his visitors. 

“Fine, Yuugi here calls to the school tomorrow, everything’s fine and dandy, world saved,” Jounouchi said. He turned around with the intention to leave, even motioning to his friend. 

“Not exactly,” Mahaado spoke up, his voice commanding enough to make Jounouchi halt in mid-movement. “You still have a role to play, as you are responsible for this mess to begin with.” 

“I’d like to ask of you to repeat that a little more often,” Jounouchi answered in a bored tone. “I really do think you haven’t stressed it enough.” 

“I’m sure Jounouchi-kun didn’t mean it,” Yuugi said, smiling. “After all, he was trying to teach me to become a man.” 

Mahaado looked at him for a brief moment, then averted his head and stood up, rather brusquely.  

“We have to leave now, but we will return soon enough. There is still time, ironically enough.” 

“Where are you going to?” Yuugi wanted to know. “We have a guestroom…if you don’t have a place to stay…” 

“Thank you, Prince, you are too kind,” Mahaado thanked him. “We return to another world as that is the basic timeline as we know it, for now…a pure world which we use as a standard to restore the Great Timeline.” 

“Oh…okay,” Yuugi replied, slightly dumbfounded. He stood up as well, throwing a last look on the incomplete Puzzle and walked with his visitors to the front door; one floor down as the living quarters were above the Game Shop. Jounouchi and Honda followed, making rude gestures at each other to indicate what they were thinking of Mahaado’s words. 

When Mahaado and Mana were out of sight, Yuugi was very surprised to see Jounouchi and Honda still standing in the hallway. Wearily, he turned towards them, holding the door open.  

“Hey, Yuugi…” 

He automatically cringed, expecting a snide remark from the both of them. “Y- yes?” 

“Did you listen to the news today? About the escaped convict?” 

“I…I did,” Yuugi said, wondering why Jounouchi brought up that topic. “He’s still at large, and everyone is advised to go straight to home after work or school and to be extra careful.” 

“He killed one of his hostages yesterday,” Jounouchi continued. “Did you know…that it was Anzu?” 

Yuugi’s eyes went even wider. “Wh-what? Anzu? That’s not possible…” 

“I’m sorry,” Jounouchi said, and Honda nodded with him. Neither one of them had wished the girl dead. “I don’t think it means much to you, but I’m sorry. I thought you should know it.” 

“Th-thank you,” Yuugi croaked. Anzu had always been there for him, his friend since elementary school…and now she was dead? He spoke to her two days ago, on the phone, catching up…two days ago. 

“We’ve got to go,” Jounouchi said abruptly and brushed past Yuugi, all but pushing him out of the way. Honda followed suit, leaving the smaller boy with his sudden grief behind, thoughts already on other things instead of his former classmate.  


-----------------------------


“Uwaaah…” Jounouchi stared at himself in the mirror, toothbrush sticking out of his mouth, raking his hands through his already mussed hair. It was a Friday, which was always good - Friday held the least classes, and it was the start of the weekend. Today was even a more special Friday, as his sister would come over and spend the weekend with him!  

Usually Shizuka went with her mother, but she had to work the upcoming weekend and since his father was gone for the next few days…Shizuka made her mother believe that she was spending the days with a friend - said friend was involved in the ‘conspiracy’ and knew how important it was for Shizuka to spend some time with her brother - and would wait for Jounouchi to come pick her up from the institute. 

His mind was pretty empty as usual. Negative thoughts never stayed long with Jounouchi as he simply didn’t care for a lot of things, or simply refused to spend any energy on it. He still felt bad about Anzu’s death even though it wasn’t his responsibility, and the whole issue with Yuugi, the Puzzle and Mahaado and Mana barely took any of his thoughts. So what if one piece of a stupid puzzle was missing? End of the world, he didn’t believe in that kind of crap.  

If Yuugi wanted to believe all that, more power to him, but Jounouchi Katsuya had other things to worry about. Like his paper route, getting past his dad without the man noticing him… his hand moved to the right and turned on the small bathroom radio. It was barely giving off any sound; the batteries had to be replaced. Jounouchi chewed on his toothbrush, muttering something, listening half-heartedly to the news as he searched for a comb. 

“Domino City prefecture is still in the dark about the death of American CEO Pegasus J. Crawford, who was found lifeless in his hotel room yesterday morning. Crawford, rumored to be in Domino for the organization of an international Duel Monsters tournament, bled to death as his left eye was brutally torn from its socket. According to…” 

“Bah,” Jounouchi gurgled, toothbrush still clenched between his teeth, as he switched off the radio. What was it with all these deaths lately? Domino City was large, but not as large as Tokyo, and crime was typically limited to a robbery or petty theft. Jounouchi grumbled at his reflection and rinsed his mouth, combing his hair at the same time.  

He met up with Honda on his way to school, catching up with some members of the Hirutani gang as well. They talked about how they had great fun in spooking people when impersonating the escaped convict, who still was at large. Jounouchi scowled, but let it slide; he wasn’t the gang leader and frankly, he couldn’t care less about the airheads. 

School was uneventful, even though Bakura was late for the first time. Jounouchi was amused at how the polite boy tried to search for excuses as the teacher scolded him for being late. Finally, the boy was allowed to sit, muttering something about anal retentive teachers and their unhealthy obsession with the clock. 

“What was that, Bakura?” Jounouchi asked pleasantly.  

“Nothing!” 

“Man, you look like shit,” Honda said, subtle as ever. “What did you do? Party until you dropped?” 

“I couldn’t drag myself out of bed this morning,” Bakura complained, rubbing at his face. His bleary eyes looked red and irritated, and he was as pale as ever. 

 

---------------------------------------


Chapter 7 | Chapter 9